Connected Ships Market: Overview
Traditionally, once a ship has left the port its communication with shore was severed. This was until the introduction of radios on ships at the beginning of the 20th century. However, the shipping industry is now experiencing a step change in this field, with digital signals that can be transferred from ship to shore, and in the reverse direction, at significant rates, independent of the ship’s location. The connected ships deals with a drive, within the shipping and marine industry to enhance safety, security, and navigational efficiency through technology integration. This helps the on-ship system to increase control and awareness.
The operational team receives intense levels of situational awareness by combining visual and numerical data from various ship systems such as cameras, radars, electronic chart display and information system (ECDIS) and automatic identification system (AIS). This is advantageous for on-ship safety and off-ship surveillance. The connected ships helps in voyage management, vessel monitoring, economic voyage, fuel management, and predictive diagnosis & assessment.
Connected Ships Market: Drivers & Restraints
The connected ships, help in welfare, entertainment, and operational applications. The welfare and entertainment for passengers and crew is a key driver of the connected ships market. Operational applications such as route planning, cargo logistic, application monitoring, and administration communication between the vessels have become handy with the application of connected ships.
The connected ships comprises long-range identification & tracking (LRIT) system and automatic identification system. The long-range identification & tracking system requires vessels to report their ID position to their flag administration four times a day, which is typically done via satellite. The automatic identification system transmits details such as vessel ID, position, course, and speed, on dedicated channels in the very-high frequency (VHF) band to avoidance collisions.
Connected Ships Market: Key Segments
The global connected ships market can be segmented based on application, installation type, ship type, fit, and region. In terms of application, the market can be classified into vessel traffic services (VTSs), fleet operations, and fleet health operations. The VTS is a marine traffic monitoring system established by port or harbor authorities. It is similar to air traffic control for aircrafts. Fleet operations consists of services such as ship building, marine insurance, technical management, and crew member management. Fleet health operations deals with health of the overall crew on the ship. Based on installation type, the connected ships market can be bifurcated into onboard and offshore. In terms of ship type, the market can be segregated into commercial and defense. Based on fit, the connected ships market can be divided into line fit and retro fit.
Connected Ships Market: Regional Outlook
In terms of region, the global connected ships market can be categorized into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is projected to lead the global market during the forecast period, followed by Europe. The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. Latin America and Middle East & Africa are expected to account for a small share of the global market during the forecast period.
Connected Ships Market: Key Players
Key players operating in the global connected ships market include Northrop Grumman Corporation, General Electric, Wärtsilä, Kongsberg Maritime, Marlink, ABB, Emerson Electric Co., Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd., JASON INC., Rockwell Automation, Inc., Schneider Electric, Ulstein Group ASA, and Valmet.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?