Compressed Air Energy Storage Market: Overview
- Compressed air energy storage involves conversion of electrical energy into high-pressure compressed air that can be released at a later time to drive a turbine generator in order to produce electricity
- Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES) technology stores energy indefinitely by compressing air in an underground storage reservoir. It competes economically with other utility scale energy storage technologies that are needed to serve large loads.
- Excess power is taken from the grid when power prices are low to store as compressed air. This compressed air is expanded to meet peak power needs or high price demands. Utilities are investing significantly in renewables and compressed air energy storage technologies.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Compressed Air Energy Storage market
- Increasingly unpredictable production of electricity from renewable sources (such as wind, solar, and ocean energy) and high levels of inflexible generation have led to challenges in meeting supply and demand for electricity for utilities. As a result, electricity system operators and electricity generators have been seeking ways to store electricity to cater to this imbalance in supply-demand for electricity.
- Common forms of energy storage include battery storage, compressed air energy storage, and pumped hydro storage. In terms of energy storage, technology cost per unit of energy stored by pumped storage is at £50/kWh, while that of electrochemical storage stands at about £500/kWh. Therefore, compressed air energy storage solution is attractive as the proposed technology cost per unit of energy stored is £1-£10/kWh.
- Co-location of production facilities of renewable energy and energy storage assets is a key driver of energy storage. This helps stabilize the production of electricity, and in turn, ensures provision of grid with energy during peak demand periods. In turn, this is estimated to propel the compressed air energy storage market during the forecast period.
- High capital cost and lack of technological development are some of the factors that are projected to hamper the compressed air energy storage market during the forecast period.
Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market: Segmentation
- In terms of type, the global compressed air energy storage market can be divided into adiabatic, diabatic, and isothermal. The isothermal segment is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period. Isothermal storage involves heat exchangers to always keep the internal and external temperatures same. Thus, heat dissipates into the atmosphere when the air is compressed. Once the air is released to drive the turbine and produce electricity, heat is brought in from the external environment. Hence, isothermal storage is more efficient than the other two segments.
Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global compressed air energy storage market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a significantly higher CAGR during the forecast period. The market in China, South Korea, India, and Japan is anticipated to expand significantly in the next few years owing to the presence of favorable governmental policies and regulations that boost the usage of renewable energy in these countries.
- North America is anticipated to be a lucrative region of the global compressed air energy storage market in the near future. Extensive proliferation of renewable energy and integration with power grids, especially in the U.S.; and rise in investment in energy storage are estimated to propel the market in the region in the near future.
- Europe is likely to be a vital region of the global compressed air energy storage market during the forecast period. High growth of renewable energy and significant increase in energy storage in Europe can be ascribed to the European Commission’s focus on strong long-term support for energy storage.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected the global compressed air energy storage industry. Manufacturers have suffered closures owing to the lockdown measures implemented by various countries to curb the spread of the disease. Disruption of the supply chain has resulted in short-term delays and hiccups for energy storage projects. Demand for renewable energy continues to rise. This is boosting the need for energy storage. Easing of lockdowns is estimated to offer opportunities for the compressed air energy storage market. The global compressed air energy storage market is projected to expand steadily in the long run.
Key Players in Market
The global compressed air energy storage market is consolidated. Prominent players operating in the global compressed air energy storage market are engaged in development of innovative products and implementation of the technology on a large scale.
Key players operating in the global compressed air energy storage market include:
- Siemens Energy
- General Compression
- Hydrostor Inc.
- Bright Energy Storage Technologies
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Apex Compressed Air Energy Storage, LLC
- Ridge Energy Storage and Grid Services LP
- Storelectric Ltd
- LightSail Energy
Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market: Research Scope
Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market, by Type
Global Compressed Air Energy Storage Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.