Globally, consumers are becoming more and more concerned about the food products they are consuming, which is pushing the penetration of healthy oils and fats across the globe. Demand for fats based on partially hydrogenated and fractioned vegetable oils has been rapidly growing in markets, such as the U.S., the U.K., Germany, France, Japan, China and other developed markets. Manufacturers are continuously looking for cheap and healthy alternatives, which is bringing innovation in the field of the compound confectionary market. Vegetable fats or compound coatings are produced from raw materials, such as palm oil, soybean oil, rapeseed oil, palm kernel oil and other oils. Cocoa butter is widely used as an essential ingredient in compound coating of chocolates. Compound coatings formulated with fat systems other than cocoa butter are called confectionary coatings or compound coatings. Compound coatings/chocolate coatings are a low-cost alternative to cocoa butter and deliver improved texture, taste and extended stability. The global compound coating market will grow due to escalating consumption of chocolates in Eastern Europe and the Asian region.
Reasons for Covering this Title
Today, consumers are seeking choice and transparency in food products, pushing the penetration of healthy alternatives further. Increasing per capita consumption of chocolates across the Asian region has been one of the prime factors leading to the market growth of compound chocolates over the forecast period. Rising demand for cocoa butter coupled with increasing prices of cocoa butter has been largely contributing to the growing need for cocoa alternatives, such as vegetable-based oils. Compound coatings are mostly used in the chocolate industry for compound coating of molded candies and are widely used because of their attractive price and their ability to harden without tempering. Also, compound coatings are widely used in the ice-cream industry and chocolate industry, where they add extra value to ready-to-eat products. Growing health-conscious consumers have pushed the incorporation of healthy ingredients in the compound coating industry. For example, in 2017, Cargill Incorporated added new coatings and fillings to its compound coating range, focusing mainly on four themes: healthy, sustainable and clean, premium and indulgent. These compound coatings are claimed to be healthier, with reduced sugar and high protein content. Developments likes these will push the market growth of compound coatings in near future. This growth, coupled with improvements in the availability of sustainable and clean label products across the globe, will lead to increasing demand for premium products in both developed and emerging markets, which has further strengthened the global compound coating market.
Global Compound Coating: Market Segmentation
On the basis of source, the global compound coating market has been segmented as –
- Palm Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Rapeseed oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Palm kernel Oil
On the basis of application, the global compound coating market has been segmented as –
- Muffins and Cakes
- Sports Bars
On the basis of flavor, the global compound coating market has been segmented as –
Likely Demand Intensity of Compound Coating in Top Chocolate Consuming Markets
Global Compound Coating Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global compound coating market are The Barry Callebaut Group, Cargill Incorporated, AAK AB, Caldic B.V., DDW The Colour House, Bunge Loders Croklaan, Palsgaard, The Archer Daniels Midland Company, Blommer Chocolate Company, INFORUM and Olam Internationa, among others.
- On July 2017, The Barry Callebaut Group expanded its protein product portfolio by launching its FortiPro Brand of protein compound coatings. This protein compound coating is available in various flavors, such as milk, and various colours, such as white and dark. This protein is used across several application areas ranging from confectionery to the bakery industry.
- In December 2014, The Barry Callebaut Group, one of the major manufacturers of chocolate and cocoa products, expanded its line of colored and flavored compound coatings, thereby delivering compounding solutions for industries, such as bakery, snack bars, ice cream and confectionary. The range also delivers new flavors and textures, such as mint, caramel, butterscotch, strawberry, blueberry and coconut to the global industry.
Opportunities for Market Participants
Consumers across the globe are increasingly looking for food products that are clean and healthy, which has been pushing the manufacturers across the globe to incorporate healthy ingredients into their products. The growing trend of use of protein within the confectionary market has been creating immense opportunities for the confectionery product manufacturers, which they can exploit by focusing on delivering high protein bars in the sports industry. All these factors will fuel the growth of market for compound coatings in near future. Furthermore, the growth in the overall confectionary market has been further pushing the incorporation of flavored compound coatings.
Brief Approach to Research
A modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology will be followed to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the nature, product type and end uses of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the Compound Coating market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the Compound Coating market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the Compound Coating market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the global Compound Coating market
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major Compound Coating market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario in the global Compound Coating market
- Analysis of the global Compound Coating market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key Compound Coating market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in the Compound Coating market
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.