Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market: Highlights
- Cocamidopropyl betaine is an amphoteric surfactant. The particular behavior of amphoterics is related to their Zwitterionic character, which means both anionic and cationic structures are found in one molecule.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine is produced in a two-step batch process. Coconut oil or fatty acids hydrolyzed from coconut oil (C12-C18) are reacted with dimethylaminopropylamine (I) in aqueous solution at about 160 °C. Coconut oil has a mixed fatty acid composition, which varies slightly, as it is a natural product. Lauric acid (C12) is predominant a fatty acid. In the second step, the resultant dimethylaminopropyl cocoamide (amidoamine - II) is reacted with sodium monochloroacetate (III) under alkaline conditions. The product (cocamidopropyl betaine) is obtained as an aqueous solution.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine is used in a wide range of personal care products and detergents including shampoos, shower gels, bath foams, liquid soaps, contact lens fluids, skin care products, and dish washing liquids
- Cocamidopropyl betaine is widely used as a surfactant. The usage of cocamidopropyl betaine in personal care products has been rising since the last few years due to its relative mildness compared with other surface active compounds. Cocamidopropyl betaine is widely used in various cosmetics such as shampoos, bath products, and cleansing agents. Therefore, increase in usage of cocamidopropyl betaine in personal care products is estimated to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Rise in usage of cocamidopropyl betaine in detergents is also expected to boost the cocamidopropyl betaine market during the forecast period
Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global cocamidopropyl betaine market can be segmented into personal care products, detergents, and others
- The personal care products segment is projected to account for major share of the global cocamidopropyl betaine market by 2027. Cocamidopropyl betaine is used in shampoos, bath products, cleaning agents, shower gels, bath foams, liquid soaps, contact lens fluids, and skin care products.
- Expanding at a healthy growth rate, the detergents segments is expected to create significant incremental opportunity during the forecast period
- In terms of demand, the others segment is anticipated to remain moderate to high during the forecast period
North America to be Key Region of Global Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market
- In terms of region, the global cocamidopropyl betaine market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. In North America, the U.S. aims to promote investments in its end-use industries. This is expected to boost the cocamidopropyl betaine market in the country in the near future.
- In terms of demand, North America held major share of the market share in 2018. It was followed by Europe and Asia Pacific. North America is a highly promising region of the cocamidopropyl betaine market. This trend is projected to continue during the forecast period. Constant rise in production of cocamidopropyl betaine for usage in the region and export purposes is propelling the demand for cocamidopropyl betaine in North America. Manufacturers of cocamidopropyl betaine are targeting North America, as it is the strongest regional market.
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period. End-use industries in Mexico has been expanding steadily. The outlook for the market in the UAE also appears positive. This is likely to drive the demand for cocamidopropyl betaine in Latin America and Middle East & Africa, respectively, during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global cocamidopropyl betaine market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- BASF SE
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- Evonik Industries AG
- Kao Corporation
- Croda International Plc
- Huntsman Corporation
- Enaspol a.s.
Global Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market: Research Scope
Global Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market, by Application
- Personal Care Products
- Bath Products
- Cleaning Agents
Global Cocamidopropyl Betaine Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!