Boom in Electric Vehicle Production to Create Opportunities for Coating Pigments Market
- Pigments is a group of compounds that are intensely colored and are employed to impart color to other materials. Coating pigments provide aesthetic appeal as well as shielding to the substrate that they cover. They have applications in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and architecture.
- According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the number of electric cars on road is estimated to reach 220 million by 2030 across the globe. With the electric mobility set to expand at a rapid pace, automotive coating pigments are likely to see a robust potential by 2027.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Coating Pigments Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Coating Pigments Market
- Coating pigments absorb the light of selective wavelength and then, emit various colors through transmission or reflection. Visual appearance, aesthetics, and color are significant factors influencing the purchasing decision.
- Worldwide, corrosion destroys one ton of steel every second. In Germany alone, replacement costs exceed EUR 20 Bn per annum.
- Specialty coating pigments are estimated to witness substantial demand from high-end automobile companies and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) during the forecast period
- China is expected to witness the maximum demand for coating pigments across the world, throughout the forecast period. However, the coatings industry in China is likely to be vulnerable to fast-paced changes in the political scenario and environment-related regulations in the country and also, to consolidation of basic chemical production in China.
- In 2018, the organic coating pigments segment exhibited growth, in line with the global coatings industry and in correlation to regional GDP growth rates
- Stringent regulations on the VOC (volatile organic compound) content and lead chromate replacement are likely to restrict the global coating pigments market to a certain extent in the next few years
- Inconsistencies in raw material prices are likely to affect the demand for coating pigments in the next few years. For instance, there have been significant shortages and subsequent hikes in prices of raw materials required in the production of organic pigments including AZO-coupling agents and PB60-crude.
- Decades ago, a sustainable solution for the global coatings industry was to shift from chromate-containing anticorrosive pigments toward zinc phosphate pigments. Shift toward use of zinc-free anticorrosive pigments as a sustainable solution is likely to be witnessed in the next decade.
Specialty Coating Pigments to Witness High Demand
- Based on product, the global coating pigments market can be divided into organic, inorganic, and specialty. Specialty coating pigments such as metallic, pearlescent, phosphorescent, fluorescent, and luminescent pigments feature vibrant color intensity, glossy effect, and durability.
- Specialty pigments increase the functionality by binding the substrate and paint together and enhance the aesthetic appeal of the substrate. Factors such as rise in investments in the infrastructure development in developing economies and increase in the need for long-lasting pigments that can resist harsh climatic conditions are expected to present significant opportunities to the specialty segment of the global coating pigments market between 2019 and 2027.
- Organic pigments can be extracted from organic compounds such as succinic acid, aniline, and phthalonitrile. A few synthetic organic pigments with strong demand potential are alizarin, azo-pigments, phthalocyanine, and quinacridone.
- Inorganic coating pigments include titanium dioxide, iron oxide, cadmium pigments, chromium compounds, and carbon black. A few natural inorganic pigments that are mined are umbers, ochres, and sienna.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Coating Pigments Market here
Automotive Segment has Significant Growth Potential
- Based on end-use industry, the global coating pigments market can be divided into: automotive, aerospace, architecture, consumer goods, marine, rail, and others
- The automotive industry is likely to have significant demand for coating pigments during forecast period. As per the OICA statistics, global sales of motor vehicles increased to 96 million units in 2017 from 85 million units in 2013.
- Stringent government regulations pertaining to reduction in the vehicular weight and consequent rise in the production of electric vehicles are likely to be key drivers of the demand for automotive coating pigments throughout the forecast period
- Aerospace industry is likely to further drive the demand for coating pigments. As per Airbus’s Global Market Forecast statistics, the global air traffic is anticipated to increase at a rate of 4.4% per annum, requiring about 37,400 new aircraft worth US$ 5.8 Trn in the next 20 years.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Market for Coating Pigments
- In terms of region, the global coating pigments market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for coating pigments from 2019 to 2027. Major manufacturers of pigments and coatings have been investing heavily in China, especially in the automotive production sector in the country. For example, in December 2017, BASF Coatings opened a world-scale automotive coatings plant in Shanghai, China. Axalta is building a new plant in Nanjing, China, which would be fully operational in terms of production of primers, base coats, clear coats, and resin intermediates by 2020.
- Leading manufacturers of coating pigments have extensive distribution networks along with deep product penetration. Coating manufacturers have become increasingly international in their activities ever since the onset of globalization. Several manufacturers of coating pigments have vertically integrated in mining and inorganic chemical production. For instance, Tronox Holdings plc mines and processes titanium ore, zircon, and other minerals.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global coating pigments market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Heubach GmbH
- AkzoNobel N.V.
- Teknos Group
- Axalta Coating Systems
- BASF SE
- Carl Schlenk AG
- CATHAY INDUSTRIES
- Pidilite Industries Limited
- DIC Corporation
- Huntsman International LLC
- Tronox Holdings plc
Global Coating Pigments Market: Research Scope
Global Coating Pigments Market, by Form
Global Coating Pigments Market, by Product
Global Coating Pigments Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Goods
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.