Chlorine Trifluoride: Introduction
- Chlorine trifluoride is an interhalogen compound with the chemical formula ClF3. It is a colorless gas or a greenish-yellow liquid with sweet, suffocating odor. Chlorine trifluoride is typically used in nuclear fuel processing, as its converts uranium into gaseous hexafluoride uranium. Rise in industrialization across the globe is boosting the demand for chlorine trifluoride, as it is also used as pyrolysis inhibitor for fluorocarbon polymers.
- Chlorine trifluoride is used in various industries as a highly-reactive etchant. Chlorine trifluoride gas is used for various processes, such as reactor cleaning and silicon carbide wafer etching, as it can quickly etch silicon, silicon carbide, and tungsten oxide.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market
- The chlorine trifluoride market has developed significantly of late. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of chlorine trifluoride in various application industries. Rise in usage of chlorine trifluoride in rocket fuels, nuclear reactor fuel processing, and etching and plasma-less cleaning operations in the semiconductor industry is expected to propel the chlorine trifluoride market during the forecast period. Increase in awareness about the impact of fossil fuel on the planet is anticipated to drive the demand for clean power. The gradual transition of the power sector to green mobility with the help of nuclear energy is expected to drive the demand for chorine trifluoride in the near future.
- Growth in digitalization and automated industrial manufacturing has resulted in an increase in the usage of electrical appliances. This is anticipated to create significant opportunities for the semiconductor industry. Chlorine trifluoride is widely used in the semiconductor industry; thus, demand for chlorine trifluoride is estimated to rise at a significant pace during the forecast period.
Chlorine Trifluoride: Form Segment
- In terms of form, the global chlorine trifluoride market can be bifurcated into gas and liquid
- The liquid segment is expected to account for significant share of the global chlorine trifluoride market during the forecast period
Chlorine Trifluoride: Grade Segment
- In terms of grade, the global chlorine trifluoride market can be segmented into electronic grade and industrial grade
- The electronic grade segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period
Chlorine Trifluoride: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global chlorine trifluoride market can be classified into semiconductor, rocket propellant, military, and nuclear power
- The semiconductor segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the rocket propellant segment.
COVID-19 Impact on Chlorine Trifluoride Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the chlorine trifluoride market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Chlorine Trifluoride Market
- In terms of region, the global chlorine trifluoride market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the chlorine trifluoride market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the higher production and consumption of chorine trifluoride, especially in in emerging countries such as China and India. However, the chlorine trifluoride market in North America is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the increase in demand for nuclear energy in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market
The global chlorine trifluoride market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global chlorine trifluoride market include:
- Central Glass
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- Air Liquide
- Advance Research Chemicals, Inc.
- Kanto Denka Kogyo Co. Ltd.
- Nippon Sanso Corporation
- Versum Materials
- Matheson Tri-Gas Inc.
Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market: Research Scope
Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market, by Form
Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market, by Grade
- Electronic Grade
- Industrial Grade
Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market, by Application
- Rocket Propellant
- Nuclear Power
Global Chlorine Trifluoride Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!