Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market: Introduction
- Chemical enhanced oil recovery is a type of enhanced oil recovery, which utilizes chemical products such as alkalis, polymers, and polymeric surfactants to extract oil from sub-surfaces. Primary and secondary recovery technique extracts about 10%–20% of the crude oil, whereas the tertiary recovery method extracts about 30%–60% of the oil.
Key Drivers and Restrains of Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market
- Decline in oil production from aging and mature oilfields and rise in the demand for energy are expected to propel the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market during the forecast period. Chemical enhanced oil recovery techniques are employed in mature oilfields to ramp up the production output. As per the BP Statistical Review 2019, the global oil consumption increased from 4.6 billion tons oil equivalent in 2017 to 4.662 billion tons oil equivalent in 2018.
- Increase in capital expenditure on drilling of conventional and unconventional oil and gas resources, such as shale gas and tight gas, to fulfill the demand for petroleum products from several industries, such as automotive and power generation, is a key factor driving the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market.
- Fluctuating crude oil prices have increased investments by oilfield service companies in R&D activities to develop better resources; to produce oil at a low price; and to plan a better strategy for recovery of the market. This, in turn, is anticipated to drive the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market during the forecast period. Furthermore, technological innovations related to chemical EOR, such as lower cost of the chemicals used in comparison to price of the crude oil produced and robust hybrid processes, are also likely to drive the market during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Polymer Segment to Hold a Major Share of Global Market
- The global chemical enhanced oil recovery market can be segmented based on type, application, and region
- In terms of type, the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market can be divided into surfactants, alkalis, polymers, and alkaline chemicals. Polymer is one of the most extensively used type of chemicals in the chemical enhanced oil recovery. The injection of polymers with water floods increases oil recovery by reducing permeability to water in a reservoir.
- Based on application, the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market can be divided into offshore and onshore. The onshore segment is anticipated to witness considerable growth between 2019 and 2027, due to increase in the number of marginal oilfields. Surge in the demand, from oil and gas producers, in order to maintain production from gas wells and boost the rate of recovery from reservoirs is also likely to drive the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market during the forecast period.
- Based on technique, the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market can be divided into polymer flooding (PF), alkali-co-solvent-polymer (ACP) flooding, alkali-surfactant-polymer (ASP) flooding, surfactant flooding, and others. Surfactant flooding is one of the most extensively used techniques in the chemical enhanced oil recovery. By using this flooding technique, residual oil can be recovered by reducing the interfacial tension between the oil and the rock interfaces and the oil and the displacing water.
North America Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market to Expand Rapidly
- In terms of region, the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market can be divided into: Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- The chemical enhanced oil recovery market in North America is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. This growth of the market in the region can be attributed to increase in investments in the exploration of unconventional resources.
- The chemical enhanced oil recovery market in Europe is projected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to increase in efforts for production of hydrocarbon resources from depleting oilfields. Ongoing increase in the energy demand backed by rapid industrialization, economic growth, and rise in the per capita income are some of the key factors that have attracted investments by oil and gas operators in the development of mature oilfields.
- This market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period, due to increase in the number of aging fields in the region
- The chemical enhanced oil recovery market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period, due to abundance of untapped oil and gas reserves in these regions. For instance, in 2018, Saudi Arabia accounted for 15.7% share of the global proven oil reserves i.e. 266.2 billion barrels of proven oil reserves.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players in the global chemical enhanced oil recovery market are:
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- BP plc.
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation
- Royal Dutch Shell plc
- Cenovus Energy Inc.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company LLC.
- PJSC Lukoil Oil Company
- Praxair Technology Inc.
- Chevron Corporation
Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market: Research Scope
Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market, by Type
- Alkaline Chemicals
Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market, by Application
Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market, by Technique
- Polymer Flooding (PF)
- Surfactant Flooding
- Alkali-Surfactant-Polymer (ASP) Flooding
- Alkali-Co-solvent-Polymer (ACP) Flooding
Global Chemical Enhanced Oil Recovery Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.