COVID-19 Impact on Carbomers Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and other reasons. This is expected to hamper the carbomers market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Carbomers Market
- Carbomers are primarily employed in the personal care & cosmetics industry. Rapid increase in demand for sunscreen, exfoliators, masks, skin-tone correctors, and anti-aging and skin-lightning creams is the major factor that is expected to boost the carbomers market.
- Rise in consumer demand for anti-aging and skin-lightening or brightening skincare products owing to the increase in aging population is also a key factor driving the carbomers market. This has led to the development and formulation of innovative products with active ingredients, which cater to consumers specific skin requirements. Carbomers are widely used in such preparations. Some skincare products where carbomers are used are skin-lightening and brightening formulations, anti-aging and exfoliation formulations, masks, skin-tone correctors, sunscreens, and UV protection formulations.
- Pharmaceutical is one of the major end-use industries wherein carbomers are used in substantial quantities. These acrylic acid polymers provide functionality to pharmaceutical ingredients. The pharmaceutical industry has been expanding owing to the rise in demand for hand sanitizers and vitamin capsules for daily use. Carbomers are used for rheology modification, bio-adhesion, controlled release of solid dosage forms, and emulsification, among others.
Carbomers: Product Segment
- In terms of product, the global carbomers market can be divided into Carbomer 940, Carbomer 980, Carbomer 934, and others
- The Carbomer 934 segment is projected to hold major share of the global carbomers market during the forecast period. Carbomer 934 is a cross-linked polyacrylate polymer, which exhibits stability at high temperature and viscosity along with short flow rheology characteristics.
- The Carbomer 940 segment is projected to follow the Carbomer 934 segment during the forecast period Carbomer 940 is a white powder, crosslinked polyacrylic acid polymer. It is an extremely efficient rheology modifier capable of providing high viscosity and forms sparkling clear gels or hydro-alcoholic gels and creams. It is suitable for all kinds of cosmetics such as creams, lotions, cleansing products, and sunscreen products. High demand for personal care & cosmetics products is driving the global carbomers market.
Carbomers: End-use Segment
- Based on end-use, the global carbomers market can be segmented into personal care & cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, homecare, and others
- The personal care & cosmetics segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Personal care industry is highly regionalized and diverse. Numerous products such as hair care, dyes, fragrances, nail care, bathing, and cosmetics use various chemical ingredients. Commonly used chemical ingredients are polymers, emulsifiers, pigments, thickeners, and surfactants. Therefore, continuous innovations in formulation of various skincare products using such chemical elements is a major factor driving the global market for carbomers in the next few years.
- The pharmaceuticals segment is projected to hold key share of the global carbomers market in the near future. Carbomers offer custom-designed chemicals, as well as expertise and proprietary knowhow in biopharmaceuticals, drug delivery, and nutraceuticals.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Carbomers Market
- In terms of region, the carbomers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold major share of the global carbomers market, followed by Asia Pacific and North America, during the forecast period. Europe is a key consumer of carbomers and has been the epicenter for the manufacture of personal care products. Carbomers are actively used as key ingredients in various personal care products. This is likely to boost the carbomers market in Europe in the near future.
- The carbomers market in Asia Pacific and North America is also projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future
Key Manufacturers Operating in Carbomers Market
The carbomers market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the carbomers market include:
- Anhui Newman Fine Chemicals Co. Ltd.
- Evonik Industries AG
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd.
- Maruti Chemicals
- Surfachem Group Ltd.
- SUMITOMO SEIKA CHEMICALS CO. LTD.
- Zaozhuang DongTao Chemical Technology Co. Ltd.
- Ashland Global Specialty Chemicals Inc
- DX Chemicals
Carbomers: Research Scope
Carbomers Market, by Product
- Carbomer 940
- Carbomer 980
- Carbomer 934
Carbomers Market, by End-use
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
Global Carbomers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- Carbomer or polyacrylic acid is a high molecular weight polymer obtained by the synthesis of potassium persulfate or azobisisobutyronitrile (AIBN). It is used in the production of polyacrylic acid sodium salt. It is used in agriculture, personal care, electronics, automobile manufacture, construction, and other applications.
- Carbomers are thickening agents that help control the viscosity and flow of cosmetic products. They also help distribute and suspend insoluble solids into liquid, and prevent the oil and liquid parts of a solution from separating. They have the ability to absorb and retain water, and can swell up to 1000 times their original volume when dispersed in water. Generally, this class of ingredients is used in gel-like formulations because it forms a colloidal, mucilage-like consistency when mixed in water.
- Carbomers are used in pharmaceutical processes as suspending agents, gel bases, emulsifiers, and binding agents. They are also used as artificial tears.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.