Calcium Sulfite Market: Introduction
- Calcium sulfite, a white salt of calcium cation and sulfite anion, is available in two crystalline forms: hemihydrate and the tetrahydrate. When calcium sulfite is reacted with air, it forms calcium sulfate or gypsum, which is utilized to manufacture plaster board and cement.
- Flue gas desulfurization technology is extensively used to produce calcium sulfite. It is further divided into wet desulfurization, dry desulfurization, and semi-dry desulfurization. Wet desulfurization is widely employed for flue gas desulfurization. The technology utilizes limestone or lime slurry and sulfur dioxide from the flue gas, which is commonly produced by burning fossil fuel from power plants or oil & gas industries to produce calcium sulfite.
- Prominent grades of calcium sulfite include industrial, food, and reagent grades. Among these grades, food grade is anticipated to hold a major share of the market, as calcium sulfite is extensively utilized as a preservative and antioxidant in order to prevent food deterioration against microorganisms.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Calcium Sulfite Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Calcium Sulfite Market
- Calcium sulfite is prominently used in various end-use industries such as food & beverage, water treatment, paper & pulp, pharmaceutical, and building & construction
- It acts as a strong reducing agent and oxygen scavenger. Oxygen scavenging characteristics of calcium sulfite make it an excellent antioxidant that can be utilized to preserve food. Moreover, it is commonly employed to preserve wine, cider, fruit juice, and canned fruit & vegetables.
- Rise in middle class income, rapid urbanization, and fast-paced lifestyle are likely to boost the consumption of ready-to-eat foods in the near future. These factors have driven the production as well as consumption of preservatives that are used fast food. Attributes of calcium sulfite, such as controlled microbial growth and protection against browning and spoiling are expected to drive the calcium sulfite market in near future.
- Calcium sulfite is employed as an inactive ingredient in the formulation of pharmaceutical drugs
Building & construction and water treatment segments to offer attractive opportunities
- Calcium sulfite is extensively used to produce gypsum, which is further utilized to manufacture Plaster of Paris, cement, and wallboard
- Increased impetus to develop infrastructure and FDI investment in the building & construction sector, typically in developing economies across Asia Pacific and Middle East & Africa, is likely to offer significant opportunities to manufacturers of calcium sulfite in the near future. This, in turn, is expected to drive the calcium sulfite market in the next few years.
High cost of production and increase of stringent regulations to hamper Calcium Sulfite Market
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandates the use of labels on finished food containing more than 10 ppm of sulfite in the food products. In Europe, labels on food containing more than 10 mg/kg or 10 mg/L of sulfur dioxide and/or sulfites that declare the presence of sulfites in the food are mandatory.
Furthermore, the equipment and energy required for the production of calcium sulfite is high, in turn hampering the growth of calcium sulfite market.
Asia Pacific expected to hold major share of global calcium sulfite market
- In terms of geography, the demand for calcium sulfite can be split across five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of calcium sulfite, followed by North America and Europe. Rising demand for ready-to-eat food in China, Japan, and India is expected to fuel the demand for calcium sulfite market during the forecast period.
- Additionally, rising demand for gypsum in the building & construction industry in developing economies such as China, India, Indonesia, and Vietnam, is expected to offer considerable opportunities to manufacturers of calcium sulfite operating in the region
- Rising FDI investment in the building & construction sector in developing countries of Asia Pacific is another factor that is likely to fuel the market in the region during the forecast period
- Manufacturers of calcium sulfite based in North America are engaged in increasing the purity of the various grades of calcium sulfite through extensive research & developments and technological advancements
- Rising import of calcium sulfite in Latin America and Middle East & Africa due to its excellent antioxidants ability is likely to boost its demand in both regions
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Calcium Sulfite Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Key Players Operating in Calcium Sulfite Market
Demand for calcium sulfite market is moderately concentrated among a few manufacturers, who account for a major share of the market. Key players operating in the calcium sulfite market include:
- American Elements.
- Haihang Industry Co.,Ltd
- Onlyzone Corp
- FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemical Corporation
- Tateho Co.,Ltd
- Pfaltz & Bauer, Inc.
- YOSHINO GYPSUM CO., LTD.
Global Calcium Sulfite Market: Research Scope
Global Calcium Sulfite Market, by Grade
- Industrial Grade
- Food Grade
- Reagent Grade
Global Calcium Sulfite Market, by End-use Industry
- Food and Beverages
- Water Treatment
- Paper and Pulp
- Building & Construction
Global Calcium Sulfite Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.