Button cell is a compact single cell shaped like a small button on a garment. It comes in size of 5mm to 25mm (diameter). These are used to power small electronic devices such as toy remotes, wrist watches, laser pointers, and pocket calculators. The cells have low self-voltage so they can hold charge for a long time. Button cells are very useful in products that need long, continuous service. However, button cells are hazardous for small children. The size of a button cell is very small and it is easy for small children to swallow it, which can cause fatalities. Also, some manufacturers use cadmium and mercury in cell production which are harmful to health. Many governments have banned the use of mercury in products which may encourage the vendors to find alternative material for the cells. Growing demand for electronic products in developing countries such as India and China is anticipated to encourage the demand for button cells during the forecast period.
Button Cell Market – Competitive Landscape
The button cell market is dominated by several international and domestic companies. Leading players are focusing on technological developments in the product to reduce the cost of production and increase sales due to growing competition in the market.
- In February 2016, Berkshire Hathaway acquired Duracell battery business from Procter & Gamble. P&G acquired Duracell in 2005 as part of the acquisition of The Gillette Company.
- In March 2019, Camelion Battery Co., Ltd. Invested in two new production lines to increase battery production. The company is focusing more on boosting its product portfolio and increase the production to meet the growing demand for cells.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Button Cell Market? Ask for the Report Brochure here
Panasonic Corporation is a Japanese multinational electronics corporation founded in 1918 in Osaka, Japan. The company operates in electronics, semiconductors, and home appliances. In addition to electronics, it also offers non-electronic products and services such as home renovation services. Panasonic Corporation has around 2, 71,869 employees across the globe.
Sony Corporation was founded in 1946 and is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. The product portfolio of Sony Corporation includes consumer electronics, semiconductors, video games, films, TV shows, and telecommunication equipment. The company also provides services including financial services, insurance, and banking. Toshiba Corporation
Toshiba Corporation was founded in 1875. It has around 1, 41,256 employees across the globe. The product portfolio of the company includes electronics and semiconductors, social infrastructure, and computer hardware. The company’s subsidiaries includes Toshiba America, Inc., Toshiba Asia Pacific Pte., Ltd., Toshiba China Co., Ltd., Toshiba of Europe Ltd. and others.
Several international and domestic players are active in the button cell market. Some of them are Seiko Watch Corporation, Maxell Holdings, Ltd., Renata SA, Duracell Inc., Camelion Batteries GmbH and others.
Button Cell Market – Dynamics
Growing demand for electronic products and technological advancement expected to boost the market
Rising purchasing power of consumers is fueling the demand for consumer electronic products across the globe. This factor is encouraging the demand for button cells as it is an essential component in most electronic devices. Also, technological advancements such as phasing out use of mercury in button cells is also influencing the market growth.
Lower manufacturing cost of button cells expected to create threat of new entrants
Production cost of button cells is very low which is expected to encourage local vendors to enter the button cell market. This may increase the competition in the market which can affect the price of the product. Key vendors are increasing investment in product innovation and business expansion to minimize the effect of increasing number of local players on business.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Button Cell Market, Ask for a Customized Report here
Button Cell Market – Segmentation
On the basis of type, the button cell market is segmented into:
Based on letter code, the button cell market is segmented into:
- L - Alkaline
- S - Silver
- P - Zinc-air
- C - Lithium
- Z – Nickel
Based on application, the button cell market can be segregated into:
- Medical Devices
- Others (electronics products etc.)
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.