The demand within the global bituminous coal is rising at a stellar pace, majorly due to advancements in geosciences. The abundant availability of bituminous coal across specific regions has led to the increased popularity of this soft coal. The use of asphalt across several industrial processes and chemical experiments has shifted the focus towards the use of bituminous coal. Furthermore, depending on the grade of plasticity, bituminous coal can be subjected to several chemical reactions. The low ash content produced by bituminous coal has helped in studying its properties on a large scale. Therefore, the global bituminous coal market is expected to follow an ascending trajectory of growth in the years to follow.
- The use of bituminous coal in cooking has been a formidable driver of demand within the global market. The chemical properties of coal are responsible for its usage in cooking. Furthermore, the volatility of bituminous coal is also an important consideration while evaluating feasible uses of this soft coal.
- The use of bituminous coal in power-generation across a wide array of industries has gathered the attention of environmentalists. This usage has drawn flak for its adverse impacts on the ecosystems and the immediate environment. However, sluggish rulings and procedures on coal usage in industrial continue to result in increased demand for bituminous coal.
The iron and steel industry has emerged as a prominent end-user of bituminous coal. The need for increasing the production of steel has also increased the use of bituminous coal in this industry. The market vendors operating in the bituminous coal market are treading along a lucrative pathway. These vendors are required to steer clear of the objections of environments to the sale and purchase of bituminous coal.
Bituminous Coal Market: Overview
Coal is a mineral present in the surface of Earth in the form of sedimentary rock. It is one of the most abundant fossil fuel and it is used as fuel to generate electricity across the globe. Coal is easy to store, reliable, and safe source of energy. Anthracite, bituminous, sub-bituminous, lignite, and peat are various types of coal. Bituminous contains approximately 45% to 86% carbon and has a heat value ranging between 10,500 and 15,500 British thermal unit (BTUs)?per?pound. This coal has little water content or other impurities; however, it does not contain sulfur. Bituminous accounts for about 50% of the overall coal produced in the U.S. This coal is mined through surface mining and underground mining.
Bituminous Coal Market: Driver & Restraints
Bituminous coal is extensive employed to generate electricity in coal-fired power plants. Renewable sources of energy are increasingly being used to generate electricity; however, coal is still extensively used as a major source of energy for electricity generation. This is encouraging companies to invest more in exploration of new coal reserves, which in turn is anticipated to drive the bituminous coal market in the near future. Furthermore, increasing demand for metal from various industries is anticipated to drive the demand for bituminous coal during the forecast period as bituminous coal is used to power the kilns.
Companies operating in the global bituminous coal market strive to explore new reserves for mining bituminous coal. Coal, being a fossil fuel, has limited reserves across the globe and hence, companies are invest heavily in exploration activities in order to find new reserves for coal.
Bituminous Coal Market: Key segments
In terms of type, the bituminous coal market can be divided into smithing coal, cannel coal, and cooking coal. The cooking coal segment is estimated to expand at a considerable pace in the next few years due to the rise in requirement for electricity in developing economies such as China, India, and Brazil.
In terms of application, the bituminous coal market can be divided into power generation, cement manufacturing, and steel making. The power generation segment is estimated to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period due to consistent use of bituminous coal in the thermal power plants across the globe.
Bituminous Coal Market: Regional Outlook
Based on region, the global bituminous coal market can be segregated into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific and North America are anticipated constitute major share of the global bituminous coal market during the forecast period. The bituminous coal market in Asia Pacific is likely to expand at a significant pace due to the rise in per capita income in developing economies such as China and India. Rise in per capita income is increasing the spending power of consumers. This, in turn, is estimated to propel the demand for electricity in Asia Pacific. Additionally, increasing use of bituminous coal in the cement manufacturing industry fuels the bituminous coal market in the region. Middle East & Africa is expected to be an attractive region for the bituminous coal market during the forecast period due to the rise in demand for bituminous coal to manufacture steel in the region.
Bituminous Coal Market: Key Players
Prominent players operating in the global bituminous coal market include Peabody Energy, Shenhua Group, Vale S.A., and Arch Coal, Inc. These players engage in exploration activities, strategic alliances, and mergers & acquisitions to gain market share.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.