COVID-19 Impact on Bitumen Emulsifiers Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the bitumen emulsifiers market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Bitumen Emulsifiers Market
- Bitumen emulsifiers are primarily used in the global building & construction sector, due to superior protection that they offer to structures. Most civil engineers and civil contractors have been using protection and strength-improving bitumen emulsifiers over the last few years to improve the durability of public structures and roads across the world. Increase in activities in construction; and maintenance and repair of roads, pavements, and highways across the globe are expected to fuel the global bitumen emulsifiers market in the next few years.
- Significant investments have been witnessed in the building & construction industry in the last few years. Improvement in economic conditions in developing economies, especially in the construction sector, is anticipated to boost the global bitumen emulsifiers market in the near future.
- Storage time of bitumen emulsion ranges from a few days to six months, depending upon the percentage of bitumen added during production. The setting time may vary depending upon temperature, wind, and type of emulsion. This is expected to hamper the bitumen emulsifiers market in the future.
Bitumen Emulsifiers, by Surface Charge
- In terms of surface charge, the global bitumen emulsifiers market can be divided into cationic bitumen emulsifier and anionic bitumen emulsifier
- The cationic bitumen emulsifier segment is projected to hold a major share of the global bitumen emulsifiers market during the forecast period. Cationic bitumen is the commonly used emulsifier in construction and maintenance activities.
- In anionic bitumen emulsion, the tiny droplets of bitumen are electronegative recharged. In cationic bitumen emulsion, the tiny droplets of bitumen are electro positively charged.
- Selection of cationic or anionic emulsifier depends upon the mineral composition of aggregate on which it is used. Suitability of cationic bitumen emulsifier with wide range of aggregates owing to its good adhesion and coating properties is boosting the demand for cationic bitumen emulsifiers. In turn, this is driving the global bitumen emulsifiers market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Bitumen Emulsifiers Market
- In terms of region, the bitumen emulsifiers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global bitumen emulsifiers market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period. Rise in construction activities in China, Japan, and India is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the market in the region during the forecast period.
- Increase in private investments in developing economies in Asia Pacific, such as Indonesia and Vietnam, is a major factor anticipated to drive the market in the region during the forecast period
- Road construction activities are increasing in North America. Maintenance and repair of these roads require high volume of bitumen emulsions. This is anticipated to drive the demand for bitumen emulsifiers in North America.
- The bitumen emulsifiers market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a moderate pace in the near future. Increase in government expenditure on the construction of development projects and public infrastructures is projected to drive the demand for bitumen emulsifiers in these regions in the next few years.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Bitumen Emulsifiers Market
The bitumen emulsifiers market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the bitumen emulsifiers market include:
- Arkema Group
- Evonik Industries
- Opal Paints Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Croda International Plc.
- Tristate Asphalt LLC
- RAHA Bitumen Co.
- RX Marine International
- Jiangxi Simo Biological Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Kao Corporation
- G R Infraprojects Ltd.
- Jiangxi SIMO Biological Chemical Co. Ltd
Bitumen Emulsifiers Market: Research Scope
Bitumen Emulsifiers Market, by Surface Charge
- Anionic Bitumen Emulsifier
- Cationic Bitumen Emulsifier
Bitumen Emulsifiers Market, by Setting Time
- Slow Setting
- Medium Setting
- Rapid Setting
Bitumen Emulsifiers Market, by Application
- Surface dressing
- Prime coat
- Tack coats
- Patch repairs
- Cold mix
- Gravure emulsion
- Slurry seal & micro surfacing
Global Bitumen Emulsifiers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Bitumen Emulsifiers: Introduction
- Bitumen emulsion is a liquefied type of bitumen with low viscosity
- Bitumen emulsion is a combination of water and bitumen. By dispersing bitumen in water and adding an emulsifier, ordinary bitumen turns into a low viscosity liquid that can be used in a variety of applications, such as repairing and maintaining roads, waterproofing, and spraying.
- Bitumen emulsifiers are used extensively in road construction. They are also used for maintenance and repair work. They possess anti-stripping properties. Other applications of bitumen emulsifiers include ground permeation, protection of concrete structures, coating of metal surfaces, electro and heat insulation materials, production of waterproof cardboard, sand grouting, soil insulation, and waterproofing.