Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride: Introduction
- Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride (BPDA) is a raw material commonly used in the preparation of commercial polyimide resin, which is further employed in the production of information and electronic technology products such as mobile phones and copying machines
- Polyimide made up of BPDA monomer is primarily used in heat-resistant plastic films, electronic circuits, middle transfer and fixing belts of copying machines and printers, color resist inks, etc.
- Condensation reaction of a diamine with dianhydride (BPDA) is the primary method to synthesize polyimide. This leads to the formation of a polyamic acid (PPA) intermediate, which can be dehydrated to form polyimide.
Key Drivers of Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market
- The Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market is highly dependent on the consumption of polyimide in its various end-use industries such as electronics, aerospace, and automobiles. Polyimides derived from BPDA and aromatic diamines (2,2'-bis (trifluoromethyl) benzidine and 9,9'-fluorenylidene-4,4'-dianiline) possess high glass transition and degradation temperatures, and are soluble in organic solvents. Polyimide is employed in several applications in electronics. It is primarily used in wafer carriers and guides, test holders, chip trays, hard disk drive components, electrical connectors, coil bobbins, wire insulators, digital copiers, and printer components. Demand for electronic devices such as smartphones, computer accessories, and televisions has been rising at a rapid pace. The millennial population is the key demand creator of these devices. China, South Korea, and Taiwan are the major exporters of electronic devices. The electronic devices market has been expanding at an average growth rate of 7% to 8% annually. Increase in customer base in the countries mentioned above is anticipated to propel the demand for polyimides, thereby driving the demand for BPDA during the forecast period.
- Increase in disposable income of individuals and rise in work-from-home culture are estimated to boost the demand for electronic products, thereby augmenting the demand for BPDA, which is one of the key components of polyimides, in the near future
Key Restraint of Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market
- Hexafluoroisopropylidenebisphthalic Dianhydride (6FDA), Pyromellitic dianhydride (PMDA), and Oxydiphthalic Anhydride (ODPA) are the substitutes of biphenyltetracarboxylic dianhydride. Easy availability of the substitutes can hamper the market.
Covid-19 Impact on Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a severe impact on end-use industries of BPDA. The electrical & electronics industry contributes significantly to the global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market. However, the global electronics industry has been facing supply chain issues due to the lockdown caused by COVID-19 pandemic. The sector is estimated to revive as soon as production of non-essential items (electronic components and products) starts.
Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market can be segregated into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific and North America are anticipated to constitute major share of the global market during the forecast period. The Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significant pace due to the rise in per capita income in developing economies such as China and India. Increase in per capita income is boosting the spending power of consumers. This, in turn, is estimated to propel the demand for electrical & electronics products (wire & cables and many more) in Asia Pacific.
- Middle East & Africa is expected to be a lucrative region of the global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market during the forecast period due to the rise in demand for polymers such as polyimides in wire & cables and pressure sensitive tapes in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride market include:
- Akron Polymer Systems, Inc.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- Ube Industries
- Aether Industries
- Shangdong Helishi
- Merck KGaA
- Liyang Qinfeng Fine Chemical
- Alfa Chemistry
Global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market: Research Scope
Global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market, by Purity
- Below 90%
- 90% - 95%
- Above 95%
Global Biphenyltetracarboxylic Dianhydride Market, by End-use Industry
- Electrical & Electronics
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!