Biomedical Sensor Market: Introduction
- Biomedical sensors are tools utilized to detect specific chemical, physical, or biological processes and subsequently transmit this data. Biomedical sensors are used to monitor food, environmental conditions, safety of medicines, and other substances.
- These sensors can be designed to trigger an alert or warning when they detect unpredictable readings, screen the existence of toxic agents in the blood, or empower drug directly into the circulatory system.
- Investments in development of sensors with such capabilities is likely to be a significant factor that drives the market and eventually, these products are expected to witness considerable demand in the healthcare industry.
- Applications of biomedical sensors are categorized into in-vivo and in-vitro terms of the mode of treatment
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Biomedical Sensor Market
- Increased demand for patient monitoring applications and technological innovations in micro-electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) enabling the design of low-cost, high-performance sensors that can be easily integrated into other applications are key drivers of the market.
- Rise in incidence of lifestyle based diseases, a growing proportion of geriatric population, and new forms of diseases have also played a significant role in the expansion of the biomedical sensors market globally
- Emerging applications for biomedical sensors in the field of nanotechnology and consistent innovations leading to the development of innovative non-invasive sensor-based medical applications are projected to offer significant opportunities in this market
- However, security concerns related to the use of biomedical sensors, long product development cycles, and stringent regulatory procedures required for operating in the medical sector remain major challenges restraining the overall market
- Biomedical sensors are playing a major role in life-saving situations; however, the market faces certain challenges such as patient's safety and comfort due to strong electromagnetic fields, transferring energy from external to internal parts with high efficiency and high data rates, limited computation and data storage, and ultra-low power consumption
North America to Dominate Global Biomedical Sensor Market
- North America is a prominent market for biomedical sensor globally, in terms of revenue. The market is estimated to expand at a rapid pace, owing to the presence of a large number of vendors of medical sensors. Rapidly aging population and expansion of the home healthcare market are key factors boosting the market in North America.
- The Americas ruled the global market in 2019, due to the availability of advanced healthcare infrastructure in these regions and significantly high rate of adoption of medical devices. There’s an enormous scope for the expansion of innovative healthcare products because of the convergence of sensors, digital apps, and wireless technologies, demonstrated by the rising number of smartphone and tablet users.
- A large number of companies are spending on research of these products and augmented funding from government agencies are likely to lead to the launch of advanced and innovative biomedical sensors such as wearable and implantable sensors in the biomedical sensor market in North America in the near future. Furthermore, an increase in use of smartphone is further boosting the market in North America, with the U.S. dominating the market in the region.
Key Players of Biomedical Sensor Market
- GE Healthcare
- Medtronic PLC
- First Sensor AG
- Texas Instruments
- Measurement Specialties, Inc.
- Analog Devices, Inc.
- LumaSense Technologies
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Smiths Medical
- Stmicroelectronics N.V.
Biomedical Sensor Market, Research Scope
Biomedical Sensor Market, by Type
Biomedical Sensor Market, by Application
Biomedical Sensor Market, by Sensor Type
- Image Sensors
- Inertial Sensors
- Motion Sensors
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Other Sensor Types
Biomedical Sensor Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!