Global Biocontrol Agents Market – An Overview:
Playing a crucial role in ensuring robust plant growth, biocontrol agents are set to witness a spur in growth over the forecast period of 2016 and 2026. Used to battle resistance against pesticides, and herbicides, it is witnessing an extensive use in agriculture.
As food security gains prominence world over owing to increasing pressure developed over agriculture to feed an ever growing population, the need for bio-based products is seeing a rapid increase. One of the biggest reasons behind this growth in adoption rate is the harmful impact of chemical agents on soil quality – loss of fertility and paving way for resistance in pests against pesticides and herbicides. This is a major challenge faced by crop growers worldwide.
Therefore, it is anticipated that market would grow at a sturdy growth rate over the forecast period, creating some lucrative growth opportunities for global biocontrol agents market players. Some of the factors impacting the landscape are detailed out below:
- Population across the world is increasing and as per a study on demographics recently, it is noted that in increase in number of people worldwide by the year 2050 will be about 2 billion. That translates to a population of 9.7 billion people in total from the current 7.7 billion. Demand for food for these people will be noted, spurring governments into action to focus on food security
- Another significant factor that is set to drive growth in the global biocontrol agents market over the forecast period is that there is a gradual shift happening from chemical-based farming to organic farming, particularly in regions such as Europe. Consumers are also growing increasingly aware of their choices and thus demanding for options that do not negatively impact the environment
Diseases hamper the quality and quantity of plant production. Chemical agents such as herbicides and pesticides have been used effectively since long as suppressors of many varieties of pests. However, pests have developed resistance to pesticides due to their extensive usage. Biocontrol agents, which help decrease the negative effects of plant pathogens, can act as substitutes to pesticides. Biocontrol agents are considered effective source that inhibits the growth of pests.
Based on crop type, the market for biocontrol agents has been segmented into fruits, cereals, oils, vegetables, and other crops. In terms of application, the market can be segregated into seed treatment, post-harvest, and on-field applications. The biocontrol agents market has been further divided into type of control agents such as parasitoids and predators. Based on the target pest covered, the biocontrol agents market can be segmented into arthropods, weed, and microorganisms. In terms of active substances, the market can be segregated into macrobials, entomopathogenic nematodes, and microbials.
Biocontrol Agents Market: Trends and Opportunities
The market for biocontrol agents is expected to expand at a significant rate owing to the rising awareness among consumers about the consumption of contamination-free food. Plant diseases decrease the overall yield and productivity. This drives the usage of various chemical agents to suppress the disease-causing pests. Excess usage of chemical agents significantly impacts the quality of soil. It decreases the fertility of the soil and also makes pests resistant to chemical agents.
The microbials segments accounts for prominent share of the biocontrol agents market due to its cost effectiveness and potential to eliminate a wide range of pests. Outfield growers widely use microbials, as they are readily available. Bacterium-based biological control agents (BCAs) are primarily employed to suppress targeted pests. The on-field application segment dominates the biocontrol agents market. The segment is anticipated to expand rapidly during the forecast period due to the use of biocontrol agents The seed treatment segments also holds prominent share; it is projected to be one of the lucrative segments due to the easy availability and low cost of seed treatment products.
Lack of awareness about biocontrol agents among crop producers is the major restraining factor of the biocontrol agents market. Governments across the world need to take initiatives to promote the usage of biocontrol agents. Availability of effective pest control methods hampers the reach of biocontrol agents.
Biocontrol Agents Market: Region-wise Overview
North America holds the major share of the global biocontrol agents market due the wide acceptance and awareness of these products among farmers. The biocontrol agents market in the region is well established and is anticipated to expand further during the forecast period. The biocontrol agents market in Europe has been expanding significantly after the implementation of the European Commission’s (EC) framework regarding the usage of pesticides through Integrated Pest Management (IPM). EC promotes the usage of biocontrol agents along with other methods such as using different plant varieties and forecast. EC also emphasizes on the low usage of chemical agents. Implementation of stringent government regulations is anticipated to boost the demand for biocontrol agents in Europe. The biocontrol agents market in Latin America is progressing at a significant pace owing to the efforts made by governments in the region to lower the usage of harmful chemical agents. The biocontrol agents market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a fast pace due to the rise in population and increase in demand for contamination-free food. Middle East & Africa is likely to offer less opportunities to the biocontrol agents during the forecast period.
Biocontrol Agents Market: Competitive Landscape
Key players operating in the biocontrol agents market include Novozymes, BASF SE, Koppert Biological Systems, Croppscience Bayer AG, Marrone BioInnovations Inc., and Syngenta AG.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.