Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Introduction
- Biocatalysis is defined as a chemical process through which enzymes and other biological catalysts conduct reaction between organic components. Advancements in the biocatalysis technique have increased the utility and penetration of biocatalysts in several application areas. Widely used application areas of biocatalysts encompass biopharmaceuticals, agriculture, textile, biofuels, and other life science applications. Over the years, the applicability of biocatalysts in biofuels has been one of the major growth drivers of the market. The value chain of the biocatalysis and biocatalysts industry begins with raw material suppliers of chemicals, fermentation medium, and bioreactors for enzyme production. The next level of value chain comprises enzyme manufacturers and finally end-users who utilize these enzymes for end product development. Additionally, contract research organizations and contract manufacturers are also a vital component of the value chain. Major sources of these enzymes are either microorganisms or plant and animal cells. Some of the widely used biocatalysts in this market include lyases, isomerases, hydrolases, transferases, and oxidoreductases. For instance, hydrolases such as amylases and proteases are utilized in starch processing and the biofuel industry for saccharification and starch liquefaction.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- The biocatalysis and biocatalysts market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of biocatalyst globally. Biocatalysis and biocatalysts play an important role in addressing several issues associated with the chemical synthesis processes. Rise in usage of biocatalysis and biocatalysts in food & beverages, biofuels, and pharmaceuticals sectors is expected to propel the biocatalysis and biocatalysts market during the forecast period.
- Rise in number of research activities in biofuels and biopharmaceuticals with respect to biocatalyst is expected to positively impact the market in next few years. Integration of renewable feedstock with microorganisms and chemistry is also estimated to boost the demand and penetration of these products in the near future.
Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Product Type Segment
- In terms of product type, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be segmented into lyases, isomerases, hydrolases, transferases, oxidoreductases, and others
- The lyases segment is expected to account for significant share of the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the isomerases segment.
- The hydrolases segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to the increase in utilization of hydrolases in starch processing and the biofuel industry for saccharification and starch liquefaction
Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be segregated into food & beverages, cleaning agents, agriculture & feed, biofuel production, biopharmaceuticals, and others
- The food & beverages segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by cleaning agents segment.
- The agriculture & feed segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the expansion of the global agriculture industry
COVID-19 Impact on Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the biocatalysis and biocatalysts market.
North America to Dominate Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- In terms of region, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period owing to the increase in research and development activities regarding biocatalysis and biocatalysts in the region. The biocatalysis and biocatalysts market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
The global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market include:
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- Codexis, Inc.
- Chr. Hansen A/S
- Amano Enzyme Inc.
- Biosyntha Technology Ltd.
- Biocatalysts Ltd.
- Afton Chemical
- Piramal Group
Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market: Research Scope
Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market, by Product Type
Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market, by Application
- Food & Beverages
- Cleaning Agents
- Agriculture & Feed
- Biofuel Production
Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.