Below-grade Waterproofing: Introduction
- Below-grade waterproofing is a kind of construction practice, wherein membranes and coatings are applied on to the walls of a structure under street or ground level. Below-grade waterproofing is also called below-ground or basement waterproofing.
- Based on method type, the global below-grade waterproofing market can be bifurcated into positive side below-grade waterproofing and negative side below-grade waterproofing. Positive side waterproofing is the one where waterproofing materials are directly applied onto to the surface. This type of below-grade waterproofing is done on the structure, which is directly exposed to water. Its examples include waterproofing an outdoor deck or driveway. Negative side waterproofing is primarily used for projects that are under construction, mainly for interiors. The positive side waterproofing segment is expected to hold major share of the global market in the near future. Negative side waterproofing redirects water when it invades through the foundation. This is the major drawback of negative side waterproofing. This is not the case with positive side waterproofing. Hence, positive side waterproofing type of below-grade waterproofing is highly employed in the construction sector.
Rise in Need for Waterproofing in Residential and Commercial Sectors to Drive Market
- Below-grade waterproofing is extensively employed in the residential sector to provide protection against moisture. Below-grade waterproofing is mainly carried out in parking cages, archives, technical rooms, and living areas of residential and commercial spaces. About 80% of the destruction to the structure is linked with the penetration or leaking of water into it. The construction cost associated with waterproofing of the structure constitutes less than 5% of the total construction. Hence, below-grade waterproofing provides excellent protection against moisture and also saves upon costs.
- Rise in investment in the construction sector in developing countries such as India, Indonesia, and Myanmar is expected to boost the infrastructure sector in these countries. This is likely to boost the need for providing protection of infrastructure from corrosion and extreme weather conditions. In turn, this is driving the demand for below-grade waterproofing.
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market
- The construction sector has been highly affected due to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic globally. Closure of construction sites and disruption of supply chain have created significant impact on the construction sector. Furthermore, the spread of the pandemic led to delays in granting of construction permits. The pandemic is likely to affect waterproofing activities in residential and commercial spaces in the near future. This is estimated to adversely affect the consumption of below-grade waterproofing in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market
- In terms of region, the global below-grade waterproofing market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Based on region, Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold major share of the global market. Europe and North America is expected to constitute relatively small share of the below-grade waterproofing market by 2020. Growth in urbanization and rise in income of the middle class population are expected to spur the need for space in Asia Pacific. This is likely to drive the construction sector in the region, thereby boosting the consumption of below-grade waterproofing.
Key Players Operating in Market
The global below-grade waterproofing market is fragmented. Key manufacturers operating in the global below-grade waterproofing market are engaging in new product launches to diversify their product line. For instance, on January, 9, 2020, BASF SE announced that it had launched a new product line of below-grade waterproofing under the brand name MasterSeal 730 UVS. MasterSeal 730 UVS is a high density polyethylene-based below-grade waterproofing intended for use in areas such as basements rafts, water table, and tunnels.
Major players operating in the global below-grade waterproofing market include:
- CP Applied Technologies
- Sika AG
- RPM International Inc.
- Carlisle Companies Inc.
- BASF SE
- Mineral Technologies Inc.
- Soprema Group
- Beijing Oriental Yuhong Waterproof Technology Co., Ltd.
- Jiangsu Canlon Building Materials Co., Ltd.
- Keshun Waterproof Technology Co., ltd.
- Henry Company
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market: Research Scope
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Membrane Material
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Thermoplastic olefin (TPO)
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Method Type
- Positive-side Waterproofing
- Negative-side Waterproofing
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by End-use
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa