Below-grade Waterproofing: Introduction
- Below-grade waterproofing is a kind of construction practice, wherein membranes and coatings are applied on to the walls of a structure under street or ground level. Below-grade waterproofing is also called below-ground or basement waterproofing.
- Based on method type, the global below-grade waterproofing market can be bifurcated into positive side below-grade waterproofing and negative side below-grade waterproofing. Positive side waterproofing is the one where waterproofing materials are directly applied onto to the surface. This type of below-grade waterproofing is done on the structure, which is directly exposed to water. Its examples include waterproofing an outdoor deck or driveway. Negative side waterproofing is primarily used for projects that are under construction, mainly for interiors. The positive side waterproofing segment is expected to hold major share of the global market in the near future. Negative side waterproofing redirects water when it invades through the foundation. This is the major drawback of negative side waterproofing. This is not the case with positive side waterproofing. Hence, positive side waterproofing type of below-grade waterproofing is highly employed in the construction sector.
Rise in Need for Waterproofing in Residential and Commercial Sectors to Drive Market
- Below-grade waterproofing is extensively employed in the residential sector to provide protection against moisture. Below-grade waterproofing is mainly carried out in parking cages, archives, technical rooms, and living areas of residential and commercial spaces. About 80% of the destruction to the structure is linked with the penetration or leaking of water into it. The construction cost associated with waterproofing of the structure constitutes less than 5% of the total construction. Hence, below-grade waterproofing provides excellent protection against moisture and also saves upon costs.
- Rise in investment in the construction sector in developing countries such as India, Indonesia, and Myanmar is expected to boost the infrastructure sector in these countries. This is likely to boost the need for providing protection of infrastructure from corrosion and extreme weather conditions. In turn, this is driving the demand for below-grade waterproofing.
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market
- The construction sector has been highly affected due to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic globally. Closure of construction sites and disruption of supply chain have created significant impact on the construction sector. Furthermore, the spread of the pandemic led to delays in granting of construction permits. The pandemic is likely to affect waterproofing activities in residential and commercial spaces in the near future. This is estimated to adversely affect the consumption of below-grade waterproofing in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market
- In terms of region, the global below-grade waterproofing market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Based on region, Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold major share of the global market. Europe and North America is expected to constitute relatively small share of the below-grade waterproofing market by 2020. Growth in urbanization and rise in income of the middle class population are expected to spur the need for space in Asia Pacific. This is likely to drive the construction sector in the region, thereby boosting the consumption of below-grade waterproofing.
Key Players Operating in Market
The global below-grade waterproofing market is fragmented. Key manufacturers operating in the global below-grade waterproofing market are engaging in new product launches to diversify their product line. For instance, on January, 9, 2020, BASF SE announced that it had launched a new product line of below-grade waterproofing under the brand name MasterSeal 730 UVS. MasterSeal 730 UVS is a high density polyethylene-based below-grade waterproofing intended for use in areas such as basements rafts, water table, and tunnels.
Major players operating in the global below-grade waterproofing market include:
- CP Applied Technologies
- Sika AG
- RPM International Inc.
- Carlisle Companies Inc.
- BASF SE
- Mineral Technologies Inc.
- Soprema Group
- Beijing Oriental Yuhong Waterproof Technology Co., Ltd.
- Jiangsu Canlon Building Materials Co., Ltd.
- Keshun Waterproof Technology Co., ltd.
- Henry Company
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market: Research Scope
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Membrane Material
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE)
- Thermoplastic olefin (TPO)
- Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Method Type
- Positive-side Waterproofing
- Negative-side Waterproofing
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by End-use
Global Below-grade Waterproofing Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.