Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market: Overview
- Battery storage systems are positioned at various levels of the electricity ecosystem including consumers, distribution, and transmission. These storage systems are commonly segmented into in-front-of-the meter (FTM) or behind-the-meter (BTM).
- FTM batteries are linked to transmission or distribution networks, or associated with electricity generation assets. BTM batteries are connected to the back of utility meters in residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. They enable electricity bill savings.
- The key objective of the BTM battery storage system is to provide back-up power to consumers in case of blackouts. The size of BTM batteries ranges from 3 kilowatt (kW) to 5 megawatt (MW) depending up on the end-use.
- BTM battery is installed at the consumer’s premises. It is not accessible to the distribution system provider. These batteries store electricity drawn by solar panels, wind mills or grids, when electricity consumption is low.
- The stored electricity can be used by the consumer on demand or can be reverted to the distribution grid when electricity consumption is high
Key Drivers of Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- BTM battery offers vast potential to the global residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. BTM batteries can help consumers lower their electricity bills and energy management.
- Rise in demand for electricity is likely to boost the demand for variable renewables in the grid and promote green energy
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
- According to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), 40% of recent rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems in Germany have been installed with BTM batteries
- In Australia, around 21,000 BTM batteries were installed till 2018. The country aims to install 1 million BTM batteries by 2025.
- In September 2019, Honeywell International Inc. announced an agreement with NRStor C&I L.P. to launch the Experion energy program, which would create the largest BTM energy storage deployment in North America. Honeywell and NRStor will develop and operate 300 megawatts (MW) of BTM battery energy storage systems (BESS) across the U.S. and Canada starting in early 2020. These systems are estimated to lead to electricity cost savings, and improved sustainability and resiliency.
Europe to Hold Major Share of Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- Based on region, the global BTM battery market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is anticipated to dominate the global BTM battery market during the forecast period, as the region has large installed base of renewable energy. Rise in environmental norms is also expected to restrict the usage of diesel generators in case of power outages.
- Asia Pacific is estimated to be a highly attractive region of the global BTM battery market in the near future. Developments and investments in the renewable sector are growing at a rapid pace in the region. Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, Japan, and India are largely focusing on renewable energy sources as alternate sources of energy in order to lower the tariff on electricity. Demand for electricity has been increasing in China and India owing to the growth in population and industrialization.
- North America is projected to account for vital share of the global BTM battery market during the forecast period. The region likely to invest in BTM batteries in order to reduce power outages in remote areas where grid connectivity is unavailable.
- The BTM battery market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the increase in investments in the renewable energy sector
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- Honeywell International Inc
- ESS, Inc
- Stem. Inc.
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market: Research Scope
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by End-use
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Capacity
- Up to 500 kW
- Above 500 kW
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Battery
- Lithium-ion Battery
- Lead-acid Battery
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.