Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market: Overview
- Battery storage systems are positioned at various levels of the electricity ecosystem including consumers, distribution, and transmission. These storage systems are commonly segmented into in-front-of-the meter (FTM) or behind-the-meter (BTM).
- FTM batteries are linked to transmission or distribution networks, or associated with electricity generation assets. BTM batteries are connected to the back of utility meters in residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. They enable electricity bill savings.
- The key objective of the BTM battery storage system is to provide back-up power to consumers in case of blackouts. The size of BTM batteries ranges from 3 kilowatt (kW) to 5 megawatt (MW) depending up on the end-use.
- BTM battery is installed at the consumer’s premises. It is not accessible to the distribution system provider. These batteries store electricity drawn by solar panels, wind mills or grids, when electricity consumption is low.
- The stored electricity can be used by the consumer on demand or can be reverted to the distribution grid when electricity consumption is high
Key Drivers of Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- BTM battery offers vast potential to the global residential, commercial, and industrial sectors. BTM batteries can help consumers lower their electricity bills and energy management.
- Rise in demand for electricity is likely to boost the demand for variable renewables in the grid and promote green energy
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
- According to the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), 40% of recent rooftop solar photovoltaic (PV) systems in Germany have been installed with BTM batteries
- In Australia, around 21,000 BTM batteries were installed till 2018. The country aims to install 1 million BTM batteries by 2025.
- In September 2019, Honeywell International Inc. announced an agreement with NRStor C&I L.P. to launch the Experion energy program, which would create the largest BTM energy storage deployment in North America. Honeywell and NRStor will develop and operate 300 megawatts (MW) of BTM battery energy storage systems (BESS) across the U.S. and Canada starting in early 2020. These systems are estimated to lead to electricity cost savings, and improved sustainability and resiliency.
Europe to Hold Major Share of Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- Based on region, the global BTM battery market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is anticipated to dominate the global BTM battery market during the forecast period, as the region has large installed base of renewable energy. Rise in environmental norms is also expected to restrict the usage of diesel generators in case of power outages.
- Asia Pacific is estimated to be a highly attractive region of the global BTM battery market in the near future. Developments and investments in the renewable sector are growing at a rapid pace in the region. Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, Japan, and India are largely focusing on renewable energy sources as alternate sources of energy in order to lower the tariff on electricity. Demand for electricity has been increasing in China and India owing to the growth in population and industrialization.
- North America is projected to account for vital share of the global BTM battery market during the forecast period. The region likely to invest in BTM batteries in order to reduce power outages in remote areas where grid connectivity is unavailable.
- The BTM battery market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to the increase in investments in the renewable energy sector
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market
- Honeywell International Inc
- ESS, Inc
- Stem. Inc.
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market: Research Scope
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by End-use
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Capacity
- Up to 500 kW
- Above 500 kW
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Battery
- Lithium-ion Battery
- Lead-acid Battery
Global Behind-the-meter (BTM) Battery Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.