Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Introduction
- The water that is carried in ballast tanks of vessels to improve balance and stability is called ballast water
- Ballast water treatment system aims to remove and destroy biological organisms from ballast water. This technology is still evolving. Large numbers of manufacturers are entering the market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
- The global ballast water treatment systems market is majorly driven by high growth in the shipping industry trade volume. The international shipping industry accounts for carriage of around 90% of world trade. Currently, there are more than 50,000 merchant ships trading worldwide, transporting every kind of cargo.
- Strict regulations issued by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and United States Coast Guard (USCG) regarding the mandatory use of the system is also fuelling the demand for ballast water treatment systems. For instance, the IMO introduced the “International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments”, an international regulation in order to regulate ballast water discharge.
- Rise in focus on protecting the marine ecosystem from pollutants is also boosting the market. Under this system, ballast water is treated before it is discharged out of the ship. This reduces the harmful effects of aquatic marine organisms at the time of ballistic operations of a ship.
- Increase in concerns about the storage of by-products produced after the ballast water treatment is anticipated to hamper the global ballast water treatment systems market
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
Container Ships Segment to Witness Attractive Opportunities
- The global ballast water treatment systems market can be segmented in terms of technology, vessel type, and region
- In terms of technology, the global market can be classified into mechanical method, physical disinfection, and chemical method. The physical disinfection segment is expected to expand at a rapid CAGR during the forecast period. The technology includes UV irradiation, deoxygenation, cavitation, and ultrasonic treatment methods.
- Chemical method is another key technology segment of the market. This technology comprises direct chemical injection, ozonation, electrolysis, electrochlorination, chlorine dioxide, or any other kind of advanced oxidation process.
- Based on vessel type, the global ballast water treatment systems market can be divided into container ships, roll-on roll-off ships, dry bulk carriers, tankers, and others. Container ships dominated the global ballast water treatment systems market in 2018. The segment is estimated to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period. Increase in trade activities among various regions, free trade agreements, and globalization are the factors estimated to boost the demand for container ships.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
- Based on region, the global ballast water treatment systems market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global ballast water treatment systems market in 2018. This trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period owing to the presence of supportive government regulations and rise in focus on environment safety conservation.
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period. In terms of revenue, China, Japan, and South Korea are major contributors to the ballast water treatment systems market in Asia Pacific.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Key Players Operating in Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
The global ballast water treatment systems market is highly concentrated, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 40%–45% share of the market. Key players operating in the global ballast water treatment systems market include:
- Xylem Inc
- Wärtsilä Corporation
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
- Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
- Ecochlor, Inc.
- Veolia Water Technologies
- Alfa Laval
- Hyde Marine
- ZEPPELIN POWER SYSTEMS
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Major Developments
- In May 2018, Ecochlor Inc. won a contract to retrofit an approved ballast water treatment system to 36 Angelicoussis dry bulk carriers and tankers
- In January 2018, DESMI Ocean Guard A/S bagged a contract to supply CompactClean Ballast Water Management Systems (BWMS) to the entire fleet of the Turkish shipowner MISHA Shipping
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Research Scope
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market, by Technology
- Mechanical Method
- Physical Disinfection
- Chemical Method
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market, by Application
- Container Ships
- Roll-on Roll-Off Ships
- Dry Bulk Carriers
Global Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.