Ballast Water Treatment Systems (BWTS) Market
Ballast Water Treatment Systems (BWTS) Market (Treatment Type: Chemical Treatment (Chlorination, Ozonation, Electro Chlorination, and Others) and Physical Treatment (Deoxygenation, UV Irradiation, Ultrasonic, and Others); Tank Capacity: Less than 1,500m3, 1,500–5,000m3, and Greater than 5,000m3; and Application: Stationary and Portable) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Compliance of UV-based Systems with IMO Regulations to Drive Market
In order to comply with the guidelines laid down by the IMO, companies in the ballast water treatment systems (BWTS) market are increasing R&D to innovate in UV systems. For instance, in May 2019, Purestream — a water service company, announced the launch of their advanced UV ballast water treatment system to offer operational advantages to vessel operators. This is evident, since UV irradiation is one of the key treatment methods in physical treatment.
In terms of treatment type, the physical treatment segment of the ballast water treatment systems market is projected for aggressive growth during the forecast period and is anticipated to reach a revenue of ~US$ 3.8 Bn by the end of 2027. Hence, companies are increasing the availability of UV-based systems to provide effective treatment options for vessel operators.
Companies in the ballast water treatment systems market are partnering with water disinfection solution companies to deploy maximum flexibility to ship owners, while owners can adhere to strict guidelines laid down by the IMO.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
Companies Develop Eco-friendly and Cost-efficient Ballast Water Treatment Systems
The emergence of new low-cost and eco-friendly ballast water treatment systems is creating incremental opportunities for manufacturers. For instance, Flow Water Technologies Ltd. — a supplier of modular electro chlorination BWMS, announced the launch of FlowSafe — an offset carbon neutral ballast water management system that operates on zero costs.
Companies in the ballast water treatment systems market are developing cutting-edge equipment with compact design to suit space-constrained tankers or pump rooms. They are increasing efforts by consulting leading ship owners and operators to develop new designs of the novel system. Manufacturers in the ballast water treatment systems market are using the innovative technology to develop safe equipment.
With more than a decade of experience in manufacturing ballast water treatment systems, companies have gained expertise to develop filterless solutions sans the need for additional generators. Thus, cost-efficiency of these systems are gaining popularity in the global ballast water treatment systems market landscape. Owing to this trend, ship owners are increasingly relying on vendors that have a prominent expertise in water treatment solutions.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Ultrasound Cleaning Systems Improve Efficiency of Different Vessels
As compared to UV-based systems, ultrasound cleaning is acquiring prominence in the ballast water treatment systems market. For instance, in September 2019, SKF — a Swedish automotive components maker, announced the launch of BlueSonic BWMS — a novel entry in ultrasound cleaning, to run extensive tests with Hapag Lloyd’s container vessel.
New ultrasound cleaning systems are being pervasively used at flow rates of up to 1,500m3 per hour, which proves its efficiency in different types of vessels. As such, 1,500-5,000m3 tank capacity segment of the ballast water treatment systems market is anticipated for exponential growth, and is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 4.1 Bn by 2027.
Analysts of Transparency Market Research opine that greater environmental awareness among ship owners will catalyze the growth of ultrasound cleaning systems. Strict USCG requirements suggest that organisms must be completely destroyed before ballast water is discharged. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their production capabilities in ultrasound cleaning systems to help ship owners comply with IMO regulations.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market”
Delay in Implementation to Help Companies Develop Systems Based on IMO Guidelines
Issues, such as technical maturity of ballast water treatment systems and disputes during approval processes act as a barrier for companies. Moreover, high costs of streamlining production processes according to the set guidelines was discouraging companies to take appropriate steps toward product development. Hence, various governments and the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) urged the IMO to delay the implementation dates so that companies could efficiently comply with the guidelines.
Delay in implementation dates helped companies in the U.S. ballast water treatment systems market to abide by the type approval testing, as per the USCG rules. Companies are increasing efficacy to gain approvals for their ballast water treatment systems by the DNV GL — an international accredited registrar that performs testing through USCG laboratories. Moreover, in August 2019, DNV GL received the USCG approval for the Ballast Water Detecting Lab of Shanghai Ocean University. This is anticipated to offer opportunities for companies operating in the China ballast water treatment systems market.
The ballast water treatment systems market is expected to expand at a healthy CAGR of ~10% during the forecast period. Companies in the market for ballast water treatment systems are enhancing their technical expertise in chemical-free ballast water management.
However, conventional UV-based systems lead to increased environmental impact. Hence, manufacturers should introduce a combination of ultrasound cleaning systems built with inbuilt UV radiation that support chemical-free management of ballast water and reduce environmental footprint. Moreover, companies should increase their efficacy to complete the USCG type approval testing. For instance, in October 2019, Hyde Marine — a solutions provider in ballast water treatment systems market, announced that the company has completed all USCG type approval testing as per the requirements stated by the DNV-GL.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global ballast water treatment systems market for the period 2019–2027 (wherein 2019 to 2027 is the forecasted period and 2018 is the base year), increasing international trade through seaways coupled with increasing adoption of standardized regulations that are globally accepted are some of the prime reasons for the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market
- In the report, revenue generated by the ballast water treatment systems market has been mentioned in terms of value (US$ Mn)
Increasing International Trade through Seaways: A Key Driver of Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
- Increasing international trade through seaways is one of the prime reasons for the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. Marine transport is crucial for the world’s economic growth as around 90% of global trade is carried out through the sea route. This transportation system is more cost-effective and convenient compared to others for the movement of mass goods and raw materials around the world. During the past few decades, marine trade is estimated to have quadrupled, owing to increasing industrialization and liberalization of several emerging countries, which have surged free trade and led to growing demand for consumer products. Demand for container vessels are anticipated to grow with rising demand for more goods. These factors are anticipated to create a favorable environment for the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period.
Adoption of IMO Guidelines for Control and Management of Ballast Water of Ships to Drive Market
- Implementation of standardized regulations- International Maritime Organization (IMO) guidelines worldwide is a key factor that is expected to augment the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. Different countries have their own set of regulations to deal with issues pertaining to the prevention and elimination of invasive alien species in the marine environment. It is difficult for foreign manufacturers of ballast water treatment systems to trade with other countries as their product portfolios are in line with their own sets of standards and regulations. Hence, the United Nations is trying to implement standardized regulations (IMO) guidelines worldwide. This is further anticipated to proliferate the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period.
Preference for Mechanical and Chemical Treatment: A Key Restraining Factor
- Preference for mechanical and chemical treatments is one of the key factors restraining the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. High cost of physical treatment systems and complexity in operation of these systems lead to the use of older mechanical filters and chemical treatments, which can create further complications such as an increase in toxicity of water and high maintenance cost. All these factors restrain the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market.
Multiple Regulations: Another Key Restraining Factor of Global Market
- Another major factor restraining the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market is the implementation of the BWM Convention in all countries due to different legislative requirements in different countries. Several regional regulations are not in line with the BWM Convention. For instance, the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) has separate regulations for ballast water treatment. Under such circumstances, it becomes difficult for ships from other countries to operate in U.S. waters. This restrains the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market.
Increasing Trade Activities in Developing Economies of Asia Pacific and Africa: A Growth Opportunity for Global Market
- Increasing population, and growing industrialization and urbanization across several emerging countries are encouraging international trading activities. Favorable government policies and trade agreements are major supportive factors boosting trade. Demand for container vessels, small and medium sized cargo ships etc., are anticipated to increase during the forecast period with trade. This is further anticipated to fuel the demand for ballast water treatment systems.
High Focus on Physical Treatments: A Key Trend
- Several technologies are available in the ballast water treatment systems market. However, some of them are favored more, owing to their improved features such as operational cost, treatment efficiency, and ease of installation. The physical treatment system has shown significant growth in demand in the global market in recent years, due to its features such as environment-friendliness, cost-effectiveness, and effectiveness in treating invasive organisms.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of manufacturers in the ballast water treatment systems market have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
Key players operating in the global ballast water treatment systems market include
- Wärtsilä Corporation,
- Damen Shipyards Group,
- ALFA LAVAL,
- atg Evoqua (Evoqua Water Technologies),
- GenSys GmbH, Evac,
- Coldharbour Marine Ltd.,
- GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft,
- ERMA FIRST ESK Engineering S.A.,
- Ferrate Treatment Technologies, LLC,
- Veolia Water Technologies,
- Hitachi, Auramarine Ltd., and
- Bawat a/s.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Key Developments
- In July 2019, Alfa Laval signed an agreement with Turkish Shipowners Ballast Water Treatment (BWT) Group for Alfa Laval PureBallast 3 systems valued at US$ 23.36 Mn
Other Key Developments in the Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market:
- In October 2019, Evoqua Water Technologies announced the acquisition of majority stake in San Diego-based Frontier Water Systems, LLC. for the expansion of its portfolio of advanced wastewater treatment technologies
- In November 2019, Bawat a/s, a Denmark-based company specializing in manufacturing mobile ballast water treatment systems, was granted the IMO Type Approval for its technology (pasteurization treatment system) used in the Bawat ballast water treatment system
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market – Scope of the Report
A new study on the global ballast water treatment systems market has been published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics, including the drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as the structure of the ballast water treatment systems market. TMR’s study offers valuable information about the ballast water treatment systems market to illustrate how the market would grow during the forecast period, 2019–2027.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain as well as supply chain analyses, and Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret quantitative growth aspects of the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period.
An extensive analysis on business strategies of leading market players is also featured in TMR’s study on the ballast water treatment systems market. This helps readers understand principal factors to foresee growth in the ballast water treatment systems market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on the qualitative and quantitative growth avenues for the ballast water treatment systems market, which is expected to guide market players in making apt decisions in the future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market Study
- What are the key factors influencing the ballast water treatment systems market in each region?
- What will be the CAGR of the ballast water treatment systems market between 2017 and 2027?
- What is the future scope and changing trends in technologies in the ballast water treatment systems market?
- Is the ballast water treatment carried out in different countries?
- Which factors will impede the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the ballast water treatment systems market?
Research Methodology – Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the ballast water treatment systems market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the ballast water treatment systems market as a primary source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from ballast water treatment systems industry leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the ballast water treatment systems market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the ballast water treatment systems market more reliable and accurate.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the ballast water treatment systems market includes information categorized into four sections ?by treatment type, tank capacity, application, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these sections of the ballast water treatment systems market have been discussed in detail.