Ballast Water Treatment Market: Overview
- Ballast water treatment is a process that involves treatment of ballast water before discharging it out of ship at a port or in the midst of sea. This treatment is carried out to reduce harmful effects of ballast water on marine organisms and the marine environment.
- Port authorities across the world have applied their own conditions on ships for carrying out ballasting and de-ballasting operations in their terrestrial waters
Key Drivers of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- Ballast water treatment has become required for effective shipping operations, due to inadvertent transfer of harmful pathogens and marine organisms, authorized ocean dumping, and oil and chemical spills
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has implemented 'International Convention for Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments' to regulate ballast water discharge and reduce the risk of non-native species from this discharge. Thus, increasing focus on protection of the marine environment by government authorities to regulate ballast water discharge is likely to drive the global ballast water treatment market from 2019 to 2027.
- Rising volume of seaborne trade is expected to boost the global ballast water treatment market between 2019 and 2027. In Europe, more than 90% of the external freight trade is seaborne. This factor is anticipated to fuel the demand for ballast water treatment during the forecast period.
- Growing trade volume of the global shipping industry and rising government initiatives in line with regulations by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) are also driving the global ballast water treatment market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Rising Concerns about Byproducts Generated to Hamper Market
- Rising concerns about storage of byproducts generated after the treatment of ballast water are likely to hamper the global ballast water treatment during the forecast period
Key Segments of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- In terms of technology, the physical disinfection segment dominated the global ballast water treatment market in 2018. Physical disinfection helps in removing or deactivating microorganisms from ballast water, without using any toxic substances. This method is highly effective against a wide range of organisms such as marine worm larvae, juvenile barnacles, juvenile bivalves, flatworms, and diatoms. Physical disinfection also offers advantages such as ease of operation and high level of efficiency.
- The tankers segment is expected to expand rapidly during the forecast period. Tankers help to transport crude oil, chemicals, petroleum, and LNG in large quantities across oceans and seas. Growth of the global crude oil industry is a major factor affecting the global trade. Thus, ballast water treatment is mostly used in tankers for water treatment.
Asia Pacific to Hold a Major Share of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- Asia Pacific held a major share of the global ballast water treatment market in 2018, due to presence of a large number of ports and harbors for the trade of automotive components, oils and chemicals, electronic components, and devices in the region. Various kinds of vessels such as containers, tankers, and other cargo ships are used for trading. The IMO has made it mandatory to install ballast water treatment systems in ships. This factor is projected to propel the ballast water treatment market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- Increase in the production and sale of ballast water treatment systems led by rise in the trade of automotive machinery and equipment, cosmetics, food and beverages, building and infrastructure materials, medical and health care products, and mining equipment in Asia Pacific is boosting the ballast water treatment market in the region. Increase in ocean freight volumes in countries such as China, India, and South Korea is driving the market in Asia Pacific.
- In terms of demand, Asia Pacific is followed by North America. Supporting regulations along with rising focus on the protection of environment are boosting the ballast water treatment in North America.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
The global ballast water treatment market is highly fragmented, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 20%–30% of the market share. Key players operating in the ballast water treatment market are:
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
- ALFA LAVAL
- Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
- MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES, LTD.
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Technology
- Physical Disinfection
- Mechanical Method
- Chemical Method
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Service
- Installation & Calibration
- Performance Measurement
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Service
- Container Ships
- Dry Bulk Carriers
- General Cargos
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.