Ballast Water Treatment Market: Overview
- Ballast water treatment is a process that involves treatment of ballast water before discharging it out of ship at a port or in the midst of sea. This treatment is carried out to reduce harmful effects of ballast water on marine organisms and the marine environment.
- Port authorities across the world have applied their own conditions on ships for carrying out ballasting and de-ballasting operations in their terrestrial waters
Key Drivers of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- Ballast water treatment has become required for effective shipping operations, due to inadvertent transfer of harmful pathogens and marine organisms, authorized ocean dumping, and oil and chemical spills
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has implemented 'International Convention for Control and Management of Ships’ Ballast Water and Sediments' to regulate ballast water discharge and reduce the risk of non-native species from this discharge. Thus, increasing focus on protection of the marine environment by government authorities to regulate ballast water discharge is likely to drive the global ballast water treatment market from 2019 to 2027.
- Rising volume of seaborne trade is expected to boost the global ballast water treatment market between 2019 and 2027. In Europe, more than 90% of the external freight trade is seaborne. This factor is anticipated to fuel the demand for ballast water treatment during the forecast period.
- Growing trade volume of the global shipping industry and rising government initiatives in line with regulations by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) are also driving the global ballast water treatment market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Rising Concerns about Byproducts Generated to Hamper Market
- Rising concerns about storage of byproducts generated after the treatment of ballast water are likely to hamper the global ballast water treatment during the forecast period
Key Segments of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- In terms of technology, the physical disinfection segment dominated the global ballast water treatment market in 2018. Physical disinfection helps in removing or deactivating microorganisms from ballast water, without using any toxic substances. This method is highly effective against a wide range of organisms such as marine worm larvae, juvenile barnacles, juvenile bivalves, flatworms, and diatoms. Physical disinfection also offers advantages such as ease of operation and high level of efficiency.
- The tankers segment is expected to expand rapidly during the forecast period. Tankers help to transport crude oil, chemicals, petroleum, and LNG in large quantities across oceans and seas. Growth of the global crude oil industry is a major factor affecting the global trade. Thus, ballast water treatment is mostly used in tankers for water treatment.
Asia Pacific to Hold a Major Share of Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
- Asia Pacific held a major share of the global ballast water treatment market in 2018, due to presence of a large number of ports and harbors for the trade of automotive components, oils and chemicals, electronic components, and devices in the region. Various kinds of vessels such as containers, tankers, and other cargo ships are used for trading. The IMO has made it mandatory to install ballast water treatment systems in ships. This factor is projected to propel the ballast water treatment market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- Increase in the production and sale of ballast water treatment systems led by rise in the trade of automotive machinery and equipment, cosmetics, food and beverages, building and infrastructure materials, medical and health care products, and mining equipment in Asia Pacific is boosting the ballast water treatment market in the region. Increase in ocean freight volumes in countries such as China, India, and South Korea is driving the market in Asia Pacific.
- In terms of demand, Asia Pacific is followed by North America. Supporting regulations along with rising focus on the protection of environment are boosting the ballast water treatment in North America.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Global Ballast Water Treatment Market
The global ballast water treatment market is highly fragmented, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 20%–30% of the market share. Key players operating in the ballast water treatment market are:
- Calgon Carbon Corporation
- ALFA LAVAL
- Evoqua Water Technologies LLC
- MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES, LTD.
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Technology
- Physical Disinfection
- Mechanical Method
- Chemical Method
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Service
- Installation & Calibration
- Performance Measurement
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Service
- Container Ships
- Dry Bulk Carriers
- General Cargos
Global Ballast Water Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.