Global Ballast Water Management Market: Snapshot
Vessels use seawater installed for security, which has a particular marine condition influence with indigenous marine life and sea-going organisms. Discharging of untreated stabilizer water in the vessels may upset the indigenous environment. In this way, counterbalance water the board targets decreasing the ruinous impacts of stabilizer water removal. Increment in the guidelines of IMO and development in the exchange volume of the transportation business are evaluated to drive the worldwide weight water the executives showcase. Other stringent government guidelines, for example, oil and compound spills, presentation of sea-going intrusive species, and unapproved sea dumping are foreseen to support the utilization of ballast water management systems. This as a result boosts the growth of global ballast water management market.
What Drives the Global Ballast Water Management Market?
- The size of ships is getting bigger with every passing day. This has become a major problem for the ship builders as the bigger ships are difficult for them to balance when afloat. This as a result has urged a demand for the ship manufacturers to develop technologies that can keep these massive ships balanced while in waters. Moreover, these ballast waters are kept in tanks which need periodical management. This as result has propelled the growth of global ballast water management market.
- Asia Pacific is the largest ship building market. There are various ship building companies that can create some of the biggest ships. However, these ship yards have require massive efforts to clean and manage the ballast water tanks. This is the result the Asia Pacific is expected to witness massive investment in global ballast water management market in coming years. Moreover, the growing businesses of ballast water management services in the region is another factor that is boosting the dominance of the Asia Pacific in global ballast water management market.
Vessels use seawater onboard for stability, which has a distinct marine environment affect with indigenous marine life and aquatic microbes. Releasing of untreated ballast water in the vessels may disturb the indigenous ecosystem. Thus, ballast water management aims at reducing the destructive effects of ballast water disposal. In February 2004, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) adopted a convention for the management, sedimentation, and control of ballast water. Increase in the regulations of IMO and growth in the trade volume of the shipping industry are estimated to drive the global ballast water management market. Other stringent government regulations such as oil & chemical spills, introduction of aquatic invasive species, and unauthorized ocean dumping are anticipated to boost the usage of ballast water treatment systems. This is projected to fuel the global ballast water management market.
International Maritime Organization has set a pact for ocean freight service providers for meeting the stringent water quality standards. It is essential to install ballast water management system in the vessels, as treatment of ballast water has not been planned or encouraged in the marine vessels. High cost of implementation is one of the restraints of the ballast water management market. However, the implementation of the essential guidelines of the ballast water management convention, 2017 and the certification and approval of upmost ballast water treatment technologies have mitigated the major barriers of indigenous marine life and aquatic microbes.
The ballast water management market for subsea vessels can be segmented based on technology, capacity, by services, and by ship type. Based on technology, the ballast water management market can be divided into physical disinfection, mechanical method, and chemical method. The physical disinfection segment is projected to lead the ballast water management market during the forecast period. Physical disinfection is more and is used to treat ballast water. Physical disinfection is a key technology due to its various advantages such as high level of efficiency and ease of operation. Based on capacity, the ballast water management market can be classified into less than 1,500 m3, between 1,500m3 – 5,000 m3, and more than 5,000 m3. In terms of services, the ballast water management market can be bifurcated into installation and calibration, performance measurement, and re-commissioning. Based on the ship type, the ballast water management market can be segmented into dry bulk, container ships, carriers, general cargos, tankers, and others. Container ships are widely used for commercial transportation in order to carry non-bulk cargo. They are used to transport a variety of goods such as manufactured goods, commodities, and refrigerated goods. Expansion of the container ship segment can be primarily attributed to the increasing trade volumes in Asia Pacific. Developing economies of Asia Pacific such as Singapore, China, Hong Kong, South Korea, and Japan, which have become global manufacturing powerhouses, are projected to lead the container ship segment in the ballast water management market.
Based on region, the ballast water management market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific dominates the global ballast water management market due to the prevalence of stringent IMO regulations in the region and the rise in focus on conservation of the environment. Asia Pacific is a key market for ballast water management systems, followed by North America and Europe. Increasing sales and production of ballast water treatment systems owing to increase in trade of cosmetics, automotive machinery & equipment, food & beverages, medical & healthcare, mining equipment, and building & infrastructure materials. This increasing production and sales of ballast water treatment will lead to drive ballast water management market in Asia Pacific region. Asia Pacific, comprising developing countries such as China, Japan, Singapore, and South Korea, has a huge potential for the ballast water management market. Increase in trade of chemicals and other goods and rise in acceptance of IMO regulations are the key drivers of the ballast water management market in the region.
Key players operating in the global ballast water management market include Xylem Inc., Wärtsilä Corporation, Evoqua Water Technologies LLC, Ecochlor, Inc., Calgon Carbon Corporation, Veolia Environnement S.A., Trojan Marinex, Alfa Laval AB, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd., Qingdao Headway Technology Co., Ltd., atg UV Technology, Optimarin AS, and JFE Engineering Corporation.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.