The global bacon market is slated to expand at a stellar pace in the years to follow. The need for bacon in traditional European recipes is behind the aforementioned projection. Bacon is sold in large quantities across departmental stores, and this is a key perspective from market growth. Use of bacon to prepare various dishes, especially during festivities such as Christmas and Chinese New Year, has generated voluminous revenues within the global market. Sale of bacon is regulated by predefined standards within the food beverages industry. The market vendors are making efforts to heed to these standards in order to generate sales.
- Bacon sandwiches are extremely popular amongst youngsters, and this trend offers new opportunities for market growth. Sale of bacon sandwiches via retail stores and food outlets has opened new avenues for growth and revenue-generation. School and college canteens in the US and Europe have bacon products as common sellable items. This factor, coupled with increased investment in production of bacon, has played an integral role in the growth of the global market. Advancements in food processing and supply chain management have helped in procurement of bacon across food units. It is safe to predict that the global bacon market would emerge into a lucrative industry in the coming years.
- The manufacturers of bacon are focusing on improving their farmlands for breeding pigs. The abundant availability of bacon supplies in the western regions has created fresh avenues for market growth. The market for bacon in Europe is growing at a stellar pace. The unprecedented demand for bacon across Spain, Germany, and Italy is behind this projection. New manufacturers and suppliers of bacon have lately emerged on the market canvas.
Bacon is pork belly that is sliced into thin strips, and is usually cured with salt. Although, bacon is not prepared only from pork belly but from back cuts too, which have a lesser amount of fat content as compared to the belly. The use of bacon dates back to around 1000-1500 B.C., when ancient Romans used to call it 'petaso'. Muslim and Jewish dominated countries also make bacon from other animals, such as turkey, goat, and beef, as they prohibit the consumption of pork. Bacon is known for its flavor, and it’s the fat which provides most of the flavor. The flavor of bacon available in the market can vary widely, depending on the processing and curing method, breed of the pig, how it is cut, and its feed. Development and growth in the meat processing industry coupled, with an increase in the demand for red meat, is resulting in an upsurge in the demand for bacon and bacon-based products in the food industry.
Increasing Demand for Bacon Based On-the-Go Food Products
As the demand for fast food such as hamburgers, bacon sandwiches, bacon pizza, and appetizers has increased, the demand for bacon has also witnessed a surge in the market. As bacon can be molded into a variety of textures and flavors such Irish bacon, Canadian bacon, and American-style bacon, the demand for bacon-based products has increased significantly, which is expected to boost the bacon market over the forecast period. With the increasing demand for bacon, many manufacturers in the food and beverage industry are incorporating bacon in their food products. Such inclusion has enabled the local manufacturers of bacon to expand and reach the global market, which is expected to bolster the growth of the bacon market.
- The consumption of bacon has increased in the past few decades in many developed as well as developing nations, due to the rising demand from the food processing industry, as consumer interest for new products with improved texture and savory aspects has increased significantly over the past few years.
Global Bacon: Market Segmentation
On the basis of nature, the global bacon market has been segmented as –
On the basis of source, the global bacon market has been segmented as –
On the basis of type, the global bacon market has been segmented as –
- Dry Cured
- Immersion Cured
- Pumped Bacon
On the basis of distribution channel, the global bacon market has been segmented as –
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Online Stores
Global Bacon Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global bacon market are Hormel Foods Corporation, Smithfield Foods, Inc., Organic Prairie, Applegate Farms, LLC, True Story Foods, BRF S.A., Foster Farms, Farmland Industries, Inc., JBS S.A., OSI Group, Cargill, Inc., The Oscar Mayer Company, B. & C. Tönnies Fleischwerk GmbH & Co. KG, WH Group, and Karro Food Group, among others.
The global bacon market has progressed over time, due to the upsurge in the demand for bacon in the food and beverage industry, and it is expected to continue its growth in the same mode over the forecast period.
Opportunities for Market Participants
According to the latest data revealed by USDA, the storage of pork bellies is presently 8.8 million tons. The figure might look quite big, but unexpectedly, it is the lowest inventory level since 1957. The bacon market is highly active in nature, as the supply and demand situation keeps on shifting from one hand to another. In 2017, pork bellies were instantly converted into bacon as soon as they were produced, due to the high demand for bacon, leaving less meat available to be stored. Due to the shortage in storage, pork belly prices have also increased by 20%. Although various industry experts believe that, the price increase is temporary, and manufacturers operating in the bacon market could seek this increase in the demand for bacon as an opportunity to capitalize on and increase their market share in the North American market. Moreover, collaborating with big quick serving restaurants and finding new methods of marketing could also help bacon manufacturers flourish in the bacon market over the forecast period.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.