- Autonomous ships have the ability to independently control their own actions while transporting goods from one port to another. They contain next generation modular control systems and communication technology that are expected to enable wireless monitoring and control functions both on- and off-board.
- Demand for autonomous ships is rising in the marine sector primarily for economic and environmental reasons
- Most companies are focused on the development on full-size autonomous ships with the goal of obtaining cargo vessels or even passenger vessel capabilities
- In 2017, YARA AND KONGSBERG entered into a partnership to build the world's first fully-autonomous and zero-emissions ships for commercial operations
Key Drivers of Global Autonomous Ships Market
- Demand for autonomous ships has been increasing owing to a rise in automation, increase in tourism activities, and growth in per capita income. Furthermore, steady rise in seaborne trade and recreational activities around the globe is anticipated to propel the demand for autonomous ships globally.
- Moreover, rising demand to promote safe and efficient operations in the maritime sector is also likely to boost the demand for autonomous ships in the near future
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Autonomous Ships Market, Request for a Sample
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of various countries have enforced nationwide lockdowns, as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. This has disrupted planned autonomous ships projects, globally. The pandemic has disrupted the supply of new equipment and skilled labor in the market. Moreover, the contract period for the manufacturing of ships has also increased significantly.
- On October 07, 2020, Kongsberg signed a contract with China Merchants Jinling Shipyard (Weihai) to deliver a propulsion and maneuvering system for two 230m roll-on, roll-off passenger (RoPax) vessels for Finnlines. Currently, under construction at Weihai and expected to be delivered for deployment in the Baltic Sea by 2023, the ships would each have capacity for 1,212 passengers and are specified with a focus on sustainable technologies and green operation.
Europe to Hold Major Share of Global Autonomous Ships Market
- Based on region, the global autonomous ships market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe dominated the global autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in the region is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. The region has largest operational fleet size and is investing on the development of autonomous ships. Companies based in Europe are investing in sustainable operations in the marine industry. Demand for yachts and cruiser powerboats is also high in the region. This, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for autonomous ships in the region.
- North America held a vital share of the market in 2019 owing to the large fleet size and increase in seaborne trade in the region. Rise in tourism and recreational activities is estimated to boost the demand for autonomous ships during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific held a moderate share of the global autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in the region is expected to expand at a healthy pace during the forecast period. Furthermore, investments in sea tourism industry in Asia Pacific are increasing at a rapid pace. Additionally, South Korea has launched a project to develop maritime autonomous surface ships (MASS) by 2025. The aim is to build vessels with the third-level of autonomy, as defined by the IMO.
- Middle East & Africa and Latin America held relatively minor share of the autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in these regions is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Players in Market
Leading players operating in the global autonomous ships market include:
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- General Electric
- Marine Technologies, LLC
- Praxis Automation Technology B.V.
- Northrop Grumman.
- DNV GL
- Vigor Industrial LLC.
- Samsung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd
Global Autonomous Ships Market: Research Scope
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Autonomy
- Fully Autonomous
- Remote Operations
- Partial Automation
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Ship Type
- Bulk Carriers
- Gas Tankers
- Passenger & Cruises
- Dry Cargo
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Installation
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Propulsion
- Fully Electric
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.