Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market: Introduction
- Automotive optical sensors including infrared (IR) sensors, cameras, and LiDAR are used to understand the vehicle environment and prevent hazards or accidents. Accumulation or penetration of foreign materials such as dirt, road salt, slush, snow, bugs, and several other environment-related materials causes obstruction in these sensors, which leads to degraded performance or malfunction. This creates a demand for cleaning systems that maintain sensors in optimal working conditions.
- The optical sensor cleaning system consists of a discharge port or nozzle that discharges the cleaning fluid toward the lens of the sensor. This fluid stream or spray removes foreign material collected on the lens. The sensor and the discharge port are relatively movable, which directs the cleaning fluid on the desired location of the sensor.
Key Drivers of Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market
- OEMs are increasingly investing in advanced technologies to enhance the autonomy levels of their vehicles. These new vehicles, with certain levels of autonomy, depend on the digital input obtained from multiple sensors to map the vehicle environment and in-vehicle conditions in order to assist humans in driving and rendering self-driving capabilities to the vehicle. Accumulation of dust, dirt, or grit on these sensors hampers their efficiency to generate accurate input signal; consequently, OEMs are installing sensor cleaning systems. For instance, AUDI AG incorporated a cleaning system for laser scanners on its Q8 variant launched in 2019. Thus, growing autonomy levels of vehicles through the use of multiple sensors is fuelling the automotive optical sensor cleaning system market across the globe.
- Transportation regulatory agencies of various nations have mandated the use of some form of optical sensors in every automobile for safety and convenience purposes. For instance, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. has mandated the installation of rear view camera system technology on all light vehicles manufactured after May 2018. Furthermore, the European Parliament has issued a regulation to equip some essential Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) on all motor vehicles. These favorable regulatory transformations have increased the number of optical sensors mounted on vehicles, thereby boosting the global automotive optical sensor cleaning system market.
Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market: Challenges
- On-going technological advancements in the electronics industry has led to the emergence of advanced photoelectric optical sensors such, as thru-beam, retroreflective, and reflective sensors, with high degree of protection that comply with the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards. These protective elements reduce or eliminate the penetration of dust, dirt, or any other foreign material in optical sensors, thereby hampering the global automotive optical sensor cleaning system market. Critically located sensors, such as the rear view camera of Volkswagen AG which is placed under the logo of vehicle, makes them inaccessible for cleaning systems. This, in turn, hinders the application of these systems. Moreover, OEMs are exploring innovative aerodynamics on their vehicles that redirect the air on sensors and avoids accumulation of dust or dirt, thereby further decreasing the demand for automotive optical sensor cleaning systems.
North America to hold Significant Share of Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market
- North America accounts for a prominent share of the global automotive optical sensor cleaning market owing to the high number of automobile owners in the developed countries of the region due to their soaring disposable incomes. High demand in the region has prompted local automotive fluid management system suppliers to develop novel sensor cleaning systems. For instance, in December 2019, dlhBOWLES launched an automotive camera and sensor cleaning system. Additionally, on-going autonomous vehicle developments in North America have fueled the application of optical sensor cleaning systems. For instance, Ford Motor Company has developed an automatic sensor cleaning system, called Tiara, for autonomous vehicles. Similarly, General Motors has partnered with a team from the Duke University to develop optical sensor cleaning systems for its autonomous vehicles. Thus, the emergence of new market players coupled with developments in autonomous vehicles is propelling the share held by North America in the global automotive optical sensor cleaning system market
Key Players Operating in Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market
The automotive optical sensor cleaning system market is expanding consistently, as a large number of players operate in the market. A few of the key players operating in the automotive optical sensor cleaning system market are:
- Actasys, Inc.
- Continental AG
- Ficosa Internacional SA
- Kendrion N.V.
- SEEVA Technologies, Inc.
- Textron Inc.
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Propulsion
- Internal Combustion Engine (ICE)
- Battery Electric Vehicle(BEV)
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV)
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Vehicle Type
- Passenger Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Cleaning Medium
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Application
- IR sensors
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Nozzle Type
Global Automotive Optical Sensor Cleaning System Market, by Sales Channel