Automotive lightweighting is a technology that is utilized to reduce the weight of the vehicle by incorporating lightweight materials in body frames, structures and components. The evolution of the industry has witnessed the usage of lightweight materials such as titanium and carbon fiber against conventional steel and aluminum.
The Chassis utilizing the maximum metal is the key component of the lightweight market. The automotive industry has witnessed the usage of high strength steel chassis, as they are 20% lighter than their steel counterparts. Aluminum is widely used in structural parts and frame of the vehicle. The automotive lightweighting market is likely to expand in the near future as regulatory bodies have called for higher emission standards. Usage of lightweight materials reduces emissions by approximately 0.08g CO2/Kg, which in turn is boosting the implementation of lightweighting technology in powertrains and suspensions systems. The trend of using plastic and fiber materials for the interiors, fenders, and bumpers has increased. Europe has set targets to reduce the current emission per vehicle of 140 gCO2/KM to decline to 95 gCO2/KM by 2020. The adoption of electric vehicles has led to the development of lightweight solutions, as the battery considerably adds to the body weight of the vehicle. Carbon fiber holds the key to future lightweighting solutions, as it offers a greater degree of freedom and weighs 50% less than steel. The legislation in Europe targets of 85% vehicle recyclability; carbon fiber recyclability success is projected to boosts the lightweighting market in Europe.
Plastic is the predominant material that is utilized in vehicle interiors, as it offers a good cost-to-weight ratio. The development of reinforced and high strength plastic for its usage as windshield and window glass is estimated to increase the lightweighting market of plastics. The hybrid and electric vehicles is set to hold a major share of the automotive lightweighting market. The demand of lightweighting material such as high strength steel is estimated to rise due to its use in premium cars such as Mercedes for the body and power train systems
Maintenance and repair of carbon fiber material is difficult, as any damage cannot often be visually inspected; however, it requires acoustic, ultrasonic, or x-ray imaging. Carbon fiber is five to six times more expensive than steel; however; the price of carbon fire is estimated to be significantly comparable to aluminum in the near future, due to the current efforts being taken to develop fast cutting resins and reduce the production cycle time. This, in turn, is expected to boost the application of carbon fiber in vehicles.
The global automotive lightweighting market can be segmented based on type of material, application, and region. Based on material, the market can be segmented into high strength steel, aluminum, plastics, carbon fibers and titanium. High strength steel and aluminum segments, presently, hold a major share of the market. Increase in usage of plastic in dashboards, bumpers, and interiors has raised the market for light weight plastics and it is projected to expand further. The development of lightweight titanium chassis by car manufacturer Areil has led to the usage of titanium as a lightweight material and the use of titanium is expected to grow in motor sport industry. In terms of application, the automotive lightweighting market can be classified into powertrain, chassis, suspension, steering, and interiors. The lightweighting of chassis and powertrain is responsible for controlling emissions and thus, their demand is anticipated to increase due to the further introduction of emission regulations. Based on region, the lightweighting market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa. North America is a prominent manufacturer of light trucks, and the regulation Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) passed by NHTSA sets emissions standards for cars and light trucks. This, in turn, is projected to boost the automotive lightweighting market in North America. The lightweighting market in Europe has expanded at a significant growth rate, as the current vehicle generation is 12% lighter than the previous one. Europe being home to major luxury auto manufacturers enacting stringent emission norms is the leading market for automotive lightweighting. The increase in production of electric vehicles in China and Japan is projected to boost the lightweighting market in the region.
Key players operating in the automotive lightweighting market include ArcelorMittal that manufactures lightweight steels., BASF SE produces lightweight plastics and composites for automobiles. Toray Industries, Inc. manufactures carbon fiber materials for monocoque body structures. Arconic and U.S. Magnesium LLC are also the key players operating in the lightweighting market.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.