Automotive Exhaust Systems: Introduction
- An automotive exhaust system carries waste combustion products from the engine and reduces the overall noise of the vehicle. It comprises the exhaust valves that allow burned gases and particulate matter to pass through ports into the exhaust manifolds. These manifolds, which are fastened to the engine, combine the channel into a single outlet pipe wherein resonators and mufflers discharge the exhaust gases in the atmosphere through the tailpipe. Presently, automotive exhaust systems are widely utilized to trap certain pollutants, expel purified exhaust gases and minimize the environmental footprint of vehicles.
- The exhaust system consists of an exhaust manifold, downpipe, catalytic converter, sensors (oxygen, temperature, and others), mufflers, resonators, clamps, and tailpipes. The exhaust system also consists of various after-treatment devices, along with the catalytic converter, which is utilized to remove harmful constituents such as carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen oxides (NOX), and particulate matter (PM) from the exhaust gas.
Key Drivers of Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market:
- Demand for automotive exhaust systems is depends entirely on automotive production and sales. Thus, increasing sales of passenger cars and commercial vehicles across developed and emerging countries is driving the demand for automotive exhaust systems globally. Moreover, stringent government standards associated with carbon emissions are expected to drive the market during the forecast period, as gasoline and diesel engines emit toxic gases and particles that are hazardous to the environment.
- Governments across the globe are imposing more stringent regulations for vehicular emissions in an attempt to reduce the environmental impact associated with the automotive industry. Such regulations are compelling component suppliers to produce high-efficiency and environment-friendly automotive exhaust systems for domestic and international markets.
- Increasing disposable income of various sections of society has driven the automotive industry in developed countries of Europe, such as Italy, the Netherlands, and France. Demand for passenger and commercial vehicles is also expected to increase in regions such as the Asia Pacific, the Middle East & Africa, and Latin America, which in turn is expected to propel the automotive exhaust systems market across the globe.
Lightweight Emission System to Offer Significant Opportunities:
- Demand for vehicle weight reduction in order to comply with the stringent emission and fuel economy regulations and avoid heavy penalties imposed by government agencies is increasing consistently. Reduction in vehicle weight significantly reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions, as a lightweight car consumes less fuel and it needs to overcome less inertia, further reducing the power required to propel the vehicle. According to industry experts, the reduction of vehicle weight by 10% can boost its mileage by almost 6% to 8% and increase fuel economy.
- Automotive OEMs are working on several aspects such as new and lightweight materials, aerodynamic design, and drivetrain (engine/transmission) efficiency to achieve a reduction in the overall vehicle weight. Conventional exhaust systems use materials such as cast iron, stainless steel, and mild steel/carbon steel in the manufacture of exhaust system and its components. However, several automotive OEMs, exhaust system manufacturers, and other companies are working to reduce the weight of exhaust systems and their components.
Rising Sales of Clean Vehicles to Hamper Automotive Exhaust Systems Market:
- Clean vehicles include BEVs, CNG, and LPG-powered vehicles. Sales of CNG and LPG-powered vehicles are increasing owing to a rise in the demand for low emission vehicles. These vehicles are cost-effective, as the operating cost of CNG and LPG-powered vehicles is much lower than petroleum-based vehicles. Among all clean vehicles, sales of BEVs are booming with several government mandates and other effective measures such as tax subsidies to promote the adoption of electric vehicles.
- Rise in environmental awareness and government initiatives are further driving sales of electric vehicles at a rapid pace. CNG and LPG-powered vehicles use simpler versions of exhaust systems without any after-treatment devices such as DPF, DOC, SCR, LNT, or GPF. This decreases the revenue generation of the exhaust system industry compared to ICE-powered vehicles. On the other hand, BEVs use an electric motor to propel the vehicle. Hence, these vehicles are not equipped with any exhaust components as well as other after-treatment devices. Therefore, manufacturers of exhaust systems would be missing on a huge chunk of the OE market, as BEVs are gaining popularity across the world, especially in countries such as China and the U.S.
- Currently, the impact of clean vehicles in the exhaust system market is negligible. However, they are expected to create a huge impact in the near future. Consequently, an increase in sales of clean vehicles is expected to hinder the exhaust system market during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market:
- Technological awareness and spending capacity of customers in Asia Pacific is increasing. Moreover, expansion of the automotive industry in emerging economies such as China and India is expected to drive the market. The ‘Make in India’ campaign is expected to draw substantial investments in the automotive sector, as India offers several benefits, such as low-cost labor and cheaper raw materials. India and China comprise large supply chains & logistics networks and are among the fastest-growing economies globally. Expansion of the e-commerce industry in the region is also anticipated to boost the demand for commercial vehicles in the next few years.
Key Players Operating in Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market:
The global automotive exhaust systems market is highly consulted with top manufacturers across the global market. A few of the key players operating and potential in the global automotive exhaust systems market are:
- Bosal International N.V.
- Benteler International AG
- Continental AG
- Eberspächer Group
- Faurecia S.A.
- Futaba Industrial Co. Ltd.
- Friedrich Boysen GmbH & Co. Kg.
- Harbin Airui Automotive Exhaust Systems Co. Ltd.
- Sejong Industrial Co. Ltd.
- Sango Co. Ltd.
- Tenneco Inc.
- Yutaka Giken Co. Ltd.
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market, by Product Type
- Exhaust Manifold
- Catalytic Converter
- Oxygen Sensor
- Exhaust Pipes
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market, by Vehicle Type
- Two Wheeler
- Three Wheeler
- Passenger Vehicle
- Utility Vehicles
- Light Commercial Vehicles
- Buses & Coaches
- Off-road Vehicle
- Agriculture Tractors & Equipment
- Construction & Mining Equipment
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market, by Fuel Type
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market, by Sales Channel
Global Automotive Exhaust Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.