Automotive Engine Ignition Coil: Introduction
- An ignition coil is an integral part of an engine, which is required to create a high voltage spark that is needed for combustion. An ignition coil primarily consists of copper windings and a casing made of plastic or laminated iron.
- The vehicle ignition coil acts as a transformer and amplifies a low voltage power supply to high voltage, which creates a spark at the end of the spark plug that is fitted into the combustion chamber of an engine. For instance, a typical ignition coil is able to amplify a 12 volts power supply to around 25,000 to 30,000 volts.
- A properly functioning ignition coil ensures a timely spark and ensures no delay in combustion of fuel and thereby, on-time vehicle start
Key Drivers of Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market
- The ignition coil needs to be well-maintained in order to avoid backfiring and stalling of the vehicle, which is likely to augment the market. Backfiring of an engine indicates failure of the ignition coil, as an engine backfires if the spark is not generated in the combustion chamber, which results in poor fuel economy.
- According to WHO data, 80% of people living in urban areas are exposed to air quality levels that exceed WHO guideline limits and is not suitable for living. Furthermore, the data claims that about 7 million people die each year owing to air pollution. Vehicle emission contributes significantly to air pollution worldwide. Therefore, demand for higher ignition voltage in the restricted space of a combustion chamber, in order to reduce emissions and lower fuel consumption, is driving the need for development of ignition coils. For instance, Diamond Electric MFG. Co., Ltd., Japan has developed a new ignition method that can discharge sparks multiple times to a thousandth of a second and deliver high voltage output. This ensures stable combustion and has improved fuel consumption by 2%.
- Regulatory organizations and government authorities including World Health Organization, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Protection UK and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, USA are providing guidelines and enacting stringent rules and regulations to control air pollution and curb climate change. For instance, vehicle standards such as Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA), California Standards (CARB), Japanese emission standards for gasoline and LPG passenger cars, and Euro 5/6 standards are being implemented in several countries worldwide to reduce air pollution.
- All the factors mentioned above are, consequently, propelling the global automotive engine ignition coil market
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Aftermarket segment to offer lucrative opportunities to automotive engine ignition coil market
- An automotive engine ignition coil lasts for approximately 30,000 miles and its life may vary as per the manufacturer’s warranty
- Federal laws in the U.S. have prompted automakers to install an ignition coil and ignition module on new vehicles that should be warranted for at least two years or 24,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
- Ignition coil should always be maintained in a good operating condition, as it is responsible for optimal performance of the engine and subsequently, the vehicle
- Shorter lifespan of engine ignition coil and severe government regulations on regular replacements of ignition coil to ensure vehicle fuel economy are key factors propelling the global automotive engine ignition coil market
Asia Pacific to dominate global automotive engine ignition coil market
- Rapid urbanization and expansion of construction, e-commerce, and mining industries is driving logistics activity in countries such as India, China, Malaysia, and Thailand, in the region. This, in turn, is fueling the demand for commercial vehicles in Asia Pacific, thereby boosting the automotive engine ignition coil market in Asia Pacific.
Key players operating in global automotive engine ignition coil market:
The global automotive engine ignition coil market is highly concentrated with top manufacturers. Few key players operating in the global automotive engine ignition coil market are:
- BorgWarner Inc.
- Walker Products, Inc.
- MARSHALL ELECTRIC, CORP
- Denso Corporation
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Hitachi Automotive Systems Ltd.
- Diamond Electric Mfg. Co. Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Electric Corp.
- Delphi Auto Parts
- HELLA GmbH & Co. KGaA
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, ask for a customized report
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Vehicle
- Commercial Vehicle
- Passenger Vehicle
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Technology
- Plug Shaft (Smart Plug/ Single Spark Ignition Coil)
- Double Spark Ignition Coil
- Dual Coil Ignition Coil
- Other (Canister Type Ignition Coil, etc.)
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Turbocharger
- Single Turbocharger
- Electro-assist Turbocharger
- VGT Turbocharger
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Shape of Ignition Coil
- Pencil Ignition Coils
- Block Ignition Coils
- Cassette Ignition Coils
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Sales Channel
Global Automotive Engine Ignition Coil Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.