Automotive Drive Belts: Introduction
- Automotive drive belts are required to transmit power from the vehicle engine to other systems including air compressor, air conditioner, and cooling pump. Drive belts are durable and designed to withstand high tension and temperature.
- Automotive drive belts are made from synthetic rubber products, such as chloroprene, neoprene, and ethylene propylene diene monomer rubber (EPDM rubber), and other chemical substances in order to enhance strength and maintain a rigid shape
- Drive belts provide a good combination of flexibility, as compared to that offered by other means of power transmissions. Moreover, drive belts are cost-effective, require minimal space, and are easy to install and maintain. Therefore, most automakers incorporate drive belts for power transmission in their vehicles.
Key drivers of global automotive drive belts market
- Stringent regulations and vehicle standards enacted by government organizations, which mandate automakers to boost fuel economy, are likely to compel automakers install drive belts in their vehicles, thereby driving the global automotive drive belt market. For instance, timing belts can be utilized in vehicle applications where indexing, positioning, or a constant speed ratio needs to be maintained. Timing belts, also known as synchronous belts, have a toothed profile that engages with the corresponding pulley mechanism, similar to the gear or chain drive. Therefore, frictional losses are less and chances of disengagement of the belt and pulley is also low, which in turn reduces fuel consumption. Consequently, drive belts increase fuel economy of a vehicle.
- Rise in awareness about climate change and increase in air pollution is driving government organizations to impose stringent regulations to reduce vehicle emission. Vehicle AC or a cooling fan derives its power from the vehicle engine. Therefore, the fuel consumption is directly proportional to use of vehicle AC. This, in turn, boots the demand for drive belts that offer good friction between the vehicle engine and AC compressor, which reduces fuel consumption and vehicle emissions, thereby propelling the global automotive drive belt market.
- Demand for lower vehicle maintenance costs is driving the global automotive drive belts market. Automotive drive belts are employed in vehicles to drive the cooling fan, air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, and air injection pump. Drive belts offer clean operation, since the need for lubrication is eliminated. Furthermore, quiet operations, visual warning of failure, shock absorbing qualities, and an efficiency of around 95% are a few advantages offered by drive belts. All the aforementioned factors reduce the maintenance costs of the vehicle and thereby, drive the global automotive drive market.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Asia Pacific to hold a significant share of global automotive drive belts market
- Asia Pacific is a prominent three-wheeler market globally. India is a notable market for three-wheelers, in terms of sales and production, across the globe. Furthermore, three-wheelers manufactured in India are exported globally. Presence of key three-wheeler automakers including Bajaj Auto, Mahinda and Mahindra, Piaggio Vehicles, and Atul Auto in India indicates a lucrative market for automotive drive belts, as three-wheelers use drive belts to transmit engine generated power to their wheels.
- According to OICA, Asia Pacific accounted for 47,410,253, i.e. 49.87%, of global passenger and commercial vehicles sold in 2018. Both passenger and commercial vehicles incorporate drive belts to drive air compressor, vehicle cooling systems, vacuum pump for air brakes in vehicles. All the aforementioned factors propel the automotive drive belts market in Asia Pacific.
Key players operating in global automotive drive belts market
The global automotive drive belts market is highly concentrated owing to the presence of top manufacturers. A few of the key players operating in the global automotive drive belts market are:
- RS Components (SA)
- Gates Corporation
- The Timken Company
- ABB Motors and Mechanical Inc.
- C R Products Ltd
- Dayco Products, LLC
- ISC Companies
- Regal Beloit Americas, Inc.
- J. H. Fenner & Co. Limited
- Optibelt GmbH
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
- Designatronics Inc.
- Regal Beloit Americas, Inc.
- Shingle Belting
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Automotive Drive Belts Market, Request for a Sample
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Vehicle Type
- Three Wheelers
- Passenger Vehicle
- Hatch Back
- Commercial Vehicle
- Light Commercial
- Heavy Commercial
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Fuel Type
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Type
- Serpentine Belt
- Timing Belts/Synchronous Belt
- Link Belts
- Special Belts
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Application
- Air Compressor
- Cooling Fan
- Engine Cooling Pump
- Vacuum Pump (Air Brake)
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Sales Channel
Global Automotive Drive Belts Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.