Automotive Biometric Access System Market: Introduction
- Biometrics is the measurement and analysis of behavioral and physical data of a person, which is applied for the purposes of identification and access control. Physical data includes fingerprints, retina detection, and voice patterns, while behavioral data includes an individual’s signature, hand-eye coordination, and gait.
- Biometric access systems are being increasingly used in automobiles to provide access control in unlocking & locking of doors or starting the vehicle. Fingerprint scanners mounted on the door handle, steering wheel, or keys, and microphones installed in the vehicle or cameras integrated in the rear view mirrors read different biometric characteristics of an individual to authorize access to the vehicle.
- Biometric access systems for automobiles are either mounted on the vehicle or incorporated in smartphones or smart-keys, which enable quick and secure access to the vehicle. Off-vehicle biometric systems transfer biometric information of the user to the transceiver of the vehicle, which decodes this information for authorization of access to the user.
Key Drivers of Automotive Biometric Access System Market
- Vehicle theft across the globe has been rising significantly for the last few years. The U.S National Highway Traffic Safety Administration stated that more than 770,000 vehicles worth of US$ 6 billion were stolen across the country in 2017. The low level of security offered by traditional locks, which make them easy to break, has contributed to this rise in vehicle theft. This fuels the demand for advanced technologies that ensure high security of vehicles and avoids incidences of theft. Biometric systems recognize the unique features of the user to provide secure key-less access. Several automobile manufacturers such as Daimler AG and BMW AG have installed biometric systems in their vehicles as anti-theft measures. Thus, the need to circumnavigate vehicle theft is propelling the global automotive biometric access system market.
- Access control is of high importance in certain sensitive areas such as petroleum plants, nuclear plants, and military bases. Vehicles used to transport hazardous chemicals, defense equipment, or other important goods in such places require stringent access control measures in order to prevent misuse by unruly individuals. Biometrics is being employed to ensure highly controlled access to these vehicles. For instance, Dearman Systems, Inc. is using biometric systems of M2SYS Technology to safeguard vehicles used in movement of hazardous materials in petroleum and chemical industries. Similarly, in January 2019, EyeLock LLC partnered with 360fly, Inc. to develop a rearview mirror-based iris scanner system for police cars. Thus, the need for restricted access to highly sensitive vehicles is propelling the automotive biometric access system market across the globe.
- Growing trend of shared mobility due to changing needs of transportation and high flexibility offered by this transportation model is boosting the demand for vehicle security. Companies providing automobiles on rent to customers need reliable technology to ensure that only an authorized person has access to the vehicle in order to avoid incidence of theft. BioID is providing biometric authentication solutions to car rental companies. Thus, a rise in shared mobility services is fuelling the global in automotive biometric access system market.
Automotive Biometric Access System Market: Restraint
- Vulnerability of automotive biometric access systems to cyber hacking is major restraint in adoption of this technology. Moreover, functioning of these systems is hampered due to various external factors such as low light for facial recognition, ambient noise for voice recognition, and dirt on fingers or injury for fingerprint recognition. These operational drawbacks of the current biometric technology is hampering the market.
Automotive Biometric Access System Market: Opportunities
- Companies providing biometric systems for vehicles are continuously innovating their products by incorporating advanced technologies. For instance, M2SYS Technology is providing cloud-based biometric solutions that eliminate the hassle and expense associated with maintaining CPU power and biometric data on-board. This upcoming trend of biometrics-as-a-service is expected to offer significant opportunities in the global automotive biometric access system market.
- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic has increased awareness about hygiene. Shared or rented vehicles are more likely to be contaminated with pathogens. Smartphone app-based biometric access control systems are a potential solution to curb the spread of pathogens. Thus, growing awareness about hygiene is anticipated to drive the global automotive biometric access system market in the next few years.
Automotive Biometric Access System Market in Asia Pacific to Expand Significantly
- Expansion of the automotive industry and a rise in the number of automobile owners in Asia Pacific are attracting global market players to establish their presence in the region. For instance, in May 2019, Nuance Communications partnered with Banma Technologies, a China-based internet car solutions provider, to incorporate voice recognition in various automobile models across the country. Furthermore, regional automotive OEMs are actively investing in biometrics technology to increase the security of their vehicles. For instance, HYUNDAI MOBIS invested US$ 5 million to integrate facial recognition in its vehicles. This growing investment is anticipated to propel the share held by Asia Pacific in the global automotive biometric access system market during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Automotive Biometric Access System Market
The global automotive biometric access system market is highly concentrated due to the presence of top manufacturers. A few key players operating in the automotive biometric access system market are:
- ASSA ABLOY AB (HID Global Corporation)
- Aware, Inc.
- BioEnable Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
- Continental AG
- Dreamtech Co., Ltd.
- EyeLock LLC
- Fingerprint Cards AB
- Fujitsu Limited
- Hitachi, Ltd.
- INFINITECH TELEMATIC SOLUTIONS
- M2SYS Technology
- Methode Electronics, Inc.
- My Voice AI
- Nuance Communications
- Safran S.A.
- Synaptics Incorporated
- Voxx International Corporation
Global Automotive Biometric Access System Market: Research Scope
Global Automotive Biometric Access System Market, by Deployment
- Off-Vehicle (Mobile Apps, Smart Keys)
Global Automotive Biometric Access System Market, by Type
- Fingerprint based
- Iris Based
- Voice Based
Global Automotive Biometric Access System Market, by Offering
Global Automotive Biometric Access System Market, by Vehicle
- Passenger Vehicle
- Luxury/ Premium Vehicles
- Mid-segment Vehicles
- Entry-class Vehicles
- Commercial Vehicle
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!