Automated optical inspection (AOI) is the automated system for visual inspection on a printed circuit board (PCB) (or an LCD, a transistor) in which an autonomous camera scans a device which is to be tested for both the catastrophic failure (for e.g. a missing component) and the quality defects (for e.g. a fillet size or a shape or a component skew). It is most commonly used for manufacturing processes as it is a test method which does not require any contact. It is implemented through various stages of the manufacturing process which includes bare board inspections, SPI (solder paste inspections), pre reflows and post reflows among the other stages. Automatic optical inspection enables a fast and an accurate inspection of the electronics assembly and in particular printed circuit board ensuring the quality of a product coming out of production line is best and the item is correctly built without any manufacturing faults. Automated optical inspection system applies different techniques for fault detection in the printed circuit board. One of the techniques is template matching which compares the image of printed circuit board and the golden board. Another techniques used are pattern matching and statistical pattern matching.
The major driver for the automated optical inspection systems market is the fact that modern circuits are more complicated than the ones in the past though there are major improvements in these circuits. Another driver for the automated optical inspection systems market is the introduction of surface mount technology which has led to the reduction in the size of the printed circuit board. Increasing complexity of the printed circuit boards makes manual inspection not a viable option which has led to the growth of the automated optical inspection systems market. Another factor leading to the growth of the automated optical inspection systems market is the high volume requirements of the printed circuit boards owing to the growth in the consumer electronics market. Another factor leading to the growth of the automated optical inspection systems market is the increasing preference for high quality printed circuit boards used in the devices for the default free applications. Low cost of producing printed circuit boards due to the early fault detection in the production line by automated optical inspection systems is another factor driving the automated optical inspection systems market. The major challenge faced by the automated optical inspection system market is that these systems are intolerant of component variations on products. Another challenge faced by the market is the huge fixed costs of buying these systems.
The Automated optical inspection (AOI) market can be segmented based on the type (2D AOI systems, 3D AOI systems), technology (Inline and Offline AOI Sytems), application (Aerospace & Defence, Automotive, Consumer Electronics, Industrial, Medical devices, telecommunication, energy & power) and based on geography (North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Middle East and Africa).
3D AOI systems account for the largest automated optical inspection systems market as 3D technology provides more precision in analyzing the defects. Consumer Electronics accounts for the largest market when market is segmented by application as consumer electronics find the maximum use of the technology. North America is the largest market for automated optical inspection systems and is anticipated to be the largest market in the coming years owing to the increasing use of technology and consumer electronics. Asia Pacific is the fastest growing market for the automated optical inspection systems in the region owing to the rise in miniaturization of electronics systems.
Some of the key players include Omron Corporation (Japan), Nordson Corporation (U.S.), Orbotech Ltd. (Israel), Koh Young Technology Inc. (South Korea), AOI Systems (U.K.), Mirtec Corporation (U.S.), Machine Vision Products (U.S.), Goepel Electronic GmbH (Germany), and Viscom AG (Germany).
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.