Automated Fiber Placement Market: Advanced method for fabricating composite structures
- Automated fiber placement is an advanced method to fabricate composite structures. This method uses continuous-fiber-reinforced tapes.
- Composite materials offer light weight with equivalent or higher strength than metals
- Automated fiber placement uses robots to place composite materials and build a structure with one layer at a time.
- This method is employed to fabricate highly customized parts, as each layer can be placed at different angles to obtain excellent load-carrying capacity. Robotics offer the operator active control over all process-critical variables and make the process highly repeatable and controllable.
- High-strength aluminum alloy and fiber-reinforced plastic are two types of automated fiber placement materials available in the market. Fiber-reinforced plastic is a popular and traditional material used for automated fiber placement. Fiber-reinforced composites and aluminum alloys are towed mechanically and automatically on a tool to build a complex composite laminate.
- Automated fiber placement is used in various applications such as aerospace, automotive, sports equipment, and civil infrastructures. In the aerospace industry, it is utilized to manufacture wings, empennage, vertical stabilizers, fuselage, helicopters, doors & fairings, propulsion systems, while in the automotive industry, the automated fiber placement method is utilized in the manufacture of automotive interiors, exteriors, drive shafts, and crush tubes. In sports equipment, the automated fiber placement is used in bicycle tubes and skis, while in civil infrastructure, it employed in concrete reinforcement applications.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive Report Brochure here
Key drivers of automated fiber placement market
- The global automated fiber placement market is driven by the increase in demand from the aviation industry. Fibers are becoming more and more important to achieve airplanes with light weight and thereby, make aircraft more eco-friendly and efficient.
- All players operating in the global automated fiber placement market use fibers to produce large parts of airplanes, such as wing covers and fuselage parts.
- The automated fiber placement market is also driven by reduced time, as only 46% of the time is spent in placing of slit tapes, while it takes 54% of the time to manually inspect every ply; correct the placement defects; and set up and clean machine parts.
Automotive and civil infrastructure segment to offer attractive opportunities
- Rising demand for fiber in the automotive industry for automotive weight reduction and to improve fuel efficiency is expected to provide lucrative opportunities to the market players operating in the automated fiber placement market.
- Rising demand for concrete reinforcement with rapid construction activities in developing countries such as Brazil, China, India, and Indonesia is likely to provide lucrative opportunities to the manufacturers of automated fiber placement in civil infrastructure segment.
High capital requirement for new machines to hamper market
- Some machine challenges do exist such as the requirement of capital when new production opportunity persists. Furthermore, understanding the automated fiber placement process is complex. These factors is restraining the global automated fiber placement market.
North America projected to hold leading share of the global automated fiber placement market
- Based on region, the global automated fiber placement market can be segmented into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America is expected to dominate the global market during the forecast period, as the world's largest aircraft OEM, i.e. Boeing, is based in the region.
- The market in Europe is likely to expand significantly in the next few years, as Airbus, the leading commercial aircraft maker is based in the region. The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
- The market in developing countries, such as China and India, is estimated to expand at a significant pace in the near future, owing to expansion of aircraft and automotive industries in these countries.
- The automated fiber placement market in Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a moderate pace from 2019 to 2027, due to increasing demand from the automotive industry in the region. The market in Latin America is anticipated to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Automated Fiber Placement Market here
Key players operating in the automated fiber placement market
Major players operating in the global automated fiber placement market are
- BA Composites
- CGTech, Fives Group
- Compositence GmbH
- Spirit AeroSystems, Inc.
- Premium Aerotech
- Cevotec GmbH
- Fives Group
- Kanfit Ltd.
- AVEL Robotics
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries
- GKN Aerospace
- Bombardier Aerospace
- UTC Aerospace System
- Composite Automation, LLC
- Innse-Berardi spa
Global Automated Fiber Placement Market: Research Scope
Global Automated Fiber Placement Market, by Material
- High-strength Aluminum Alloy
- Fiber-Reinforced Plastic
Global Automated Fiber Placement Market, by Application
- Sports Equipment
- Civil Infrastructure
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.