AR and VR Display: Introduction
- AR (Augmented reality) can be defined as a system that fulfills three basic features: a combination of real and virtual worlds, real-time interaction, and accurate 3D registration of virtual and real objects. Virtual reality (VR) is a simulated experience that can be similar to or completely different from the real world. Applications of virtual reality can include entertainment (i.e. video games) and education (i.e. medical or military training).
- These realities can be integrated through different technologies to be experienced with a display called AR and VR display. The display technology profoundly influences the augmented and virtual reality experience. Too heavy display or low resolution may diminish the experience of the user. AR and VR devices are increasingly being utilized for industrial as well as leisure purposes.
- The display trends in the industry currently seen are digital light processing (DLP), micro-LED, organic light-emitting diode (OLED), and liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS), among others. The AR and VR display market is expected to witness sharp growth during the forecast period on account of heavy investments from tech giants.
AR and VR Display Market Dynamics
- The AR and VR display market is anticipated to grow during the forecast period owing to driving factors such as the rapid adoption of AR and VR devices coupled with the demand for OLED displays and adoption of wearable technology. Also, robust technological developments are likely to fuel market growth.
- The growing use of VR HMDs for gaming is likely to propel the market for consumer applications. Virtual reality technology offers remarkable results in terms of visual effects when used in gaming and sports broadcasts.
- Demand for head-mounted displays is high in consumer applications because of their use in gaming and sports & entertainment. Advancements in computer technology and internet connectivity is driving the market for VR, which in turn is expected to drive the demand for VR displays.
- However, the high cost of devices is a challenge for the growth of the AR and VR display market. Nevertheless, emerging display technologies and advancements in gaming are expected to create symbolic growth prospects for players in the coming years.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Increasing Demand for Head Mount Displays: A Key Driver
- A display system is an important component in HMDs (head mount displays) such as AR and VR, which displays information in the user’s field of view. These displays help in projecting the virtual environment images in front of a user’s eye.
- The advent of lightweight wearable technology has led to growing innovation in the HMD (head-mounted display) industry. Manufacturers across the globe have started positioning HMD as a consumer product with the introduction of lightweight displays.
- Virtual prototyping provides significant opportunities. It involves using computer-aided design (CAD), computer-automated design (CAutoD), and computer-aided engineering (CAE) software to validate a design before committing to making a physical prototype. This is done by creating (usually 3D) computer generated geometrical shapes (parts) and combining them into an "assembly" and testing different mechanical motions, fit and function, which can be visualized easily through AR and VR displays.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Market
- North America, being a developed and technologically advanced region, is likely to be one of the key contributors to the overall growth of the AR and VR display market during the forecast period. Applications such as enterprise, aerospace & defense, healthcare, consumer, and commercial are utilizing AR technologies for further advancements.
- The U.S has many global players featuring AR products and solutions. This helps North America stand out as one of the significant regions in the AR display market, whereas APAC is expected to lead the overall AR and VR display market.
- The AR and VR display market in Asia Pacific and Europe is likely to witness stagnant growth owing to presence of various semiconductor and autonomous vehicle manufacturers. The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to show sluggish growth during the forecast period.
Key Players in the Global Market
The global AR and VR display market was highly fragmented in 2018. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on technological developments and expansions to meet the growing demand for AR and VR display. Moreover, manufacturers are signing partnerships for the development of innovative products and to gain higher profit margins.
Key players operating in the global AR and VR display market include:
- Samsung Electronics
- LG Display
- Japan Display
- AU Optronics
- Seiko Epson
- BEO Technology
- HOLOEYE Photonics
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on AR and VR Display Market, Request for a Sample
Global AR and VR Display Market: Research Scope
Global AR and VR Display Market, by Type
- AR HMD
- VR HMD
Global AR and VR Display Market, by Technology
Global AR and VR Display Market, by Application
- Aerospace & Defense
Global AR and VR Display Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.