Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair Market: Introduction
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is one of the important ligaments that help stabilize the knee joint. Cruciate ligaments are also called cruciform ligaments. In an anterior cruciate ligament repair surgery, a surgical tissue graft is used to replace the torn or injured cruciate muscles.
- Two types of grafts are used in this surgery: autograft and allograft. Autograft is a transplant of tissue from one location to another in the same individual. For example, skin graft, bone marrow graft, etc.
- An allograft is a transplantation of an organ, tissue, or cells from one individual to another individual of the same species
Global Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair Market: Key Drivers and Restraints
- Rise in demand for minimally invasive procedures, increase in incidence of sports-related injuries, and surge in participation in sports activities such as basketball, football, and athletics are projected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
- Increase in number of people with knee injuries due to rise in participation in sports and surge in incidence of anterior cruciate ligament injuries are anticipated to boost the growth of the global anterior cruciate ligament repair market in the next few years.
- Aging dries out the synovial fluid between the knee joint, which can lead to higher friction among the cartilage, bones, and ligament. This leads to arthritis and other complications, which require knee replacement procedures. Additionally, other connective tissues such as ligaments attached to the bones become less flexible and more constrained.
- Low refund rates and high cost of knee-related surgeries are expected to restrain the global cruciate ligament repair market in the next few years
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the COVID-19 has had a negative effect on sports surgery and sports medicine
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair Market
- North America is likely to dominate the global anterior cruciate ligament repair market during the forecast period due to increase in number of cruciate ligament surgeries in the region. An article published in the National Centre for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) stated that 1 in 3,000 people in the U.S. suffers from anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries every year, which accounts for around 100,000 injuries in the U.S.
- Increase in incidence of sports injuries in countries in Europe is one of the key factors driving the market in the region. According to data published by the European Injury Data Base (IDB), around 4.5 million individuals aged 15 and over have been treated in hospitals for sports injury in Europe.
- Asia Pacific is projected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to increase in the geriatric population and rise in prevalence of musculoskeletal disorders. According to the data published by the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), one in four people in Asia Pacific will be over 60 years old by 2050. The population aged over 60 in the region will triple between 2010 and 2050, reaching around 1.3 billion. Moreover, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), the population in WHO Southeast Asia Region is aging rapidly. The proportion of people aged 60 or above was 9.8% in 2017 and is likely to increase to 13.7% and 20.3% by 2030 and by 2050, respectively.
Key Players Operating in Global Anterior Cruciate Ligament Repair Market
Major players operating in the global anterior cruciate ligament market are:
- Stryker Corporation
- Smith & Nephew plc
- DJO Global
- Arthrex, Inc.
- DePuy Synthes
- Tornier, Inc.
- Japan Medical Dynamic Marketing.
- United Orthopedic Corporation
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market: Research Scope
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market, by Fixation
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market, by Graft Type
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market, by End-user
- Orthopedic Clinics
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market, by Application
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
Global Anterior Crucial Ligament Repair Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa