Andalusite Market: Overview
- Andalusite (Al2SiO5) is a rock-forming aluminum mineral that belongs to the sillimanite family. It is found in metamorphic rocks. It is a polymorph of two minerals: kyanite and sillimanite. The chemical composition of andalusite is similar to sillimanite and kyanite.
- Andalusite is formed under high temperature and low pressure and converts to kyanite or sillimanite at different temperature-pressure regime
- Andalusite is formed through the regional metamorphism of shale. It is found in gneiss and schist at convergent plate boundaries, where rocks are exposed to the high temperature and low pressure.
- Andalusite is used in the manufacture of refractory materials. It is also used as precursor for porcelain manufacturing.
- Andalusite is used in linings for furnaces, incinerators, spark plugs, reactors, kilns, as well as production of crucibles
Rise in Demand for Refractories to Drive Andalusite Market
- Growth in the construction industry due to rapid urbanization and increasing population is likely to drive the demand for steel. This is expected to drive the refectory market. Increasing demand for refractories is anticipated drive the demand for andalusite during the forecast period.
- Rise in demand for cast metal products in the automotive industry is expected to boost the foundry industry, thereby propelling the demand for andalusite, which is an important component in foundry
- Availability of cost effective substitutes such as bauxite and volatility in prices of raw materials are anticipated to hamper the global andalusite market in the near future
- Commercial production of andalusite is concentrated in South Africa, Peru, and France. The heavy rainfall in 2017 in Peru and South Africa led to a decline in production of andalusite. This hampered the supply of raw material and caused price surge.
- The global andalusite market is facing supply-demand shortages due to the industrial shutdown triggered by the COVID 19 outbreak. Disruption in supply of raw materials is projected to hamper full-scale operations. Supply shortage also raises the prices of raw materials. The affected downstream supply chain might take longer for deliveries. The industrial shutdown has also adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Pink Type Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on type, the global andalusite market can be segmented into pink, gray, yellow, green, and violet
- The pink segment is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. It is estimated to be followed by the gray segment. Rise in demand for steel in various end-use industries is anticipated to drive the andalusite market.
Refractory Application Segment to Hold Major Share of Market
- Based on application, the global andalusite market can be divided into refractory, foundry, kiln furniture, and others
- The refractory segment is expected to dominate the andalusite market during the forecast period. Growth in steel industries is projected to drive the demand for refractories during the forecast period. The foundry segment also holds vital share of the global andalusite market.
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Andalusite Market
- In terms of region, the global andalusite market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold significant share of the global andalusite market during the forecast period
- China is the major manufacturer and consumer of refractory products such as such as glass, ceramic, cement, and aluminum. This is driving the demand for andalusite in the country.
- Demand for refractories is likely to rise at a moderate pace in North America and Europe during the forecast period. The U.S. is expected to account for key share of the market during the forecast period owing to the rise in demand for steel and glass products in the country.
Key Players in Market
The global andalusite market was highly fragmented in 2019. Prominent players operating in the global andalusite market seek to enter into partnership agreements for the development of innovative products.
Major players operating in the global andalusite market include:
- Andalusite Resources
- Rhino Minerals Pty Ltd (IMERYS)
- Samrec Pty ltd (IMERYS)
- Damrec (IMERYS)
- Picobello Andalucita
- Andalucita S.A.
Global Andalusite Market: Research Scope
Global Andalusite Market, by Type
Global Andalusite Market, by Application
- Kiln Furniture
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!