Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market: Low Manufacturing Cost and Uniformity over Large Areas Makes It Ideal for Various Applications
- Amorphous silicon thin film is a well-developed solar cell manufacturing technology that is used in various applications such as pocket calculators, solar wristwatches, powering electronic calculators, and power car accessories
- Amorphous silicon is a direct-bandgap material that requires approximately 1% of silicon for manufacturing crystalline silicon based solar cells. They can be deposited on various substrates with temperature requirement below 300°C, which makes it ideal to be applied for roll-to-roll manufacturing techniques.
To clarify your doubts about the report on Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers of Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market
- Low manufacturing cost and availability in a variety of shapes and sizes are expected to boost the amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market during the forecast period. In addition, abundant availability of amorphous silicon and its non-toxicity are some of the other factors boosting the market.
- Amorphous silicon thin film solar cells are highly flexible and lightweight in nature which makes them adaptable to different surfaces. They absorb more energy as compared to conventional cells and these amorphous silicon thin films can get deposited on a wide range of surfaces, including flexible, curved, and roll-away types.
- Rising demand for environment friendly photovoltaic technologies without any use of heavy metals such as lead or cadmium is driving the global amorphous silicon thin films solar cells market.
Rising Demand for Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells in Building Integrated Photovoltaic (BIPV) Applications to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Rise in research activities to increase efficiency of amorphous silicon based thin film solar cells by improving production techniques expected to provide lucrative opportunities to the manufacturers in near future. Manufacturers of amorphous silicon thin films solar cells may invest in integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) applications to produce amorphous silicon module
- For instance, in 2018, Solar-Tectic LLC, a U.S. based company, filed a patent for its new product invention: high efficiency amorphous silicon/crystalline silicon thin film tandem solar cell. The new product is a part of a ‘Tandem Series’, which is a highly efficient and cost effective amorphous silicon/crystalline silicon thin film tandem solar cell with a high potential to surpass the efficiencies of current thin film solar cell technologies such as copper indium gallium selenide solar cell (CIGS)and Cadmium telluride (CdTe). All these factors are likely to provide lucrative opportunities to the manufacturers operating in the amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market.
Lower Efficiency and Strong Competition from Other Thin Film Technologies such as CIGS and CdTe Likely to Restrain Market
- Amorphous silicon thin film solar cells have lower efficiency as compared to mono-crystalline or poly-crystalline solar cells. In addition, amorphous silicon thin film solar cells have a shorter life cycle as compared to their counterparts. All these factors are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
- Amorphous silicon thin film solar cells are facing strong competition from other thin film technologies such as copper indium gallium selenide solar cell (CIGS cell) and Cadmium telluride (CdTe). Both of these cells have high light absorbing capacities and low carbon footprints. All these factors are expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report here
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Leading Share in Global Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market
In terms of region, the global amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- In 2018, Asia Pacific held a major share in the global amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market. Large implementation of PV projects in China and increase in focus to install total 10GW of PV plants by 2020 in country are likely to drive the market in the region. In addition, attractive government schemes such as tax subsidy and renewable energy certificate are anticipated to create strong demand for amorphous silicon thin film solar cells in the region. For instance, in 2016, government of India announced its budget to allocate US$ 743 Mn to install 5GW of grid connected PV plants by 2020.
- In terms on consumption, North America is expected to be a major market for amorphous silicon thin film solar cells during the forecast period. The U.S. is a leading country in terms of consumption of amorphous silicon thin film solar cells. Increase in government efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and strong concerns for fossil fuel depletion likely to boost the market in the region.
- In Europe, countries such as France, the U.K., etc., expected to provide lucrative opportunities to the manufacturers operating in the amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market. Rising government efforts to install 4GW of PV plants in the U.K. by 2024, expected to boost the market during the forecast period.
- Capacity expansion by various manufacturers in Brazil, GCC, and Mexico is expected to boost the market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa
Key players in market:
Research & development and capacity expansion are the key strategies adopted by top players operating in the market.
Key players operating in the global amorphous silicon thin film solar cells market include:
- First Solar
- Ascent Solar Technologies Inc.
- PowerFilm Solar Inc.
- Kaneka Corporation
Global Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market: Research Scope
Global Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market, by Type
- A-Si Single
- A-Si Tandem
Global Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market, by Substrate
Global Amorphous Silicon Thin Film Solar Cells Market, by Application
- Consumer Electronics
- Building Integrated photovoltaics (BIPV)
- Grid-connected Power Supply
- Military & Space
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.