AMOLED Substrate Market: Introduction
- Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diodes (AMOLEDs) are organic light emitting display devices that consist primarily of substrates, TFT drive arrays, and OLEDs
- AMOLEDs utilize polymer plastic or metal foil, as its flexible substrate material; it has a strong anti-bending capability and can realize dynamic bending display or even folding display
- Presently, manufacturers are replacing conventional amorphous silicon (a-Si) glass substrates with low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) plastic substrates because the electro mobility of LTPS plastic substrates is 100 times more as compared to a-Si glass substrates
- The display panel can be bendable and foldable, due to its flexible packaging technology, and is widely utilized in smart wearable products, smartphones, tablets, automotive displays, and other high-end mobile devices that require a display
- The AMOLED plastic substrate is almost half as thin as compared to glass substrates, thus enabling manufacturers to produce thinner display panels that can be fitted into thinner devices. This is expected to boost the AMOLED substrate market.
- AMOLED has a huge market potential for intelligent devices such as high-end smart phones and wearable products, as it is one of the new trends in the display industry
- AMOLED substrates are used in smartphones, tablets, smartwatches, automobile displays, televisions, laptops, etc.
Increasing Adoption of AMOLED Substrate in Consumer Electronics Industry
- Based on end-use industry, the market can be segmented into consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace and defense, healthcare, industrial, and others
- The consumer electronics segment of the global AMOLED substrate market is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to an increase in use of AMOLED substrate for the amorphous silicon (a-Si) technology for active matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED) display backplanes on flexible substrates
- The a-Si TFT process temperature must be reduced from the conventional 300°C to ∼150°C or below, in order to use of plastic substrates in consumer electronic devices, which tends to compromise the integrity of thin-film materials and improve device performance
- Usage of AMOLED plastic substrate is increasing due to a rise in utilization of slim displays in consumer electronics devices. This is further boosting the demand for AMOLED substrate.
- The electron mobility of LTPS plastic substrates is more than 100 times that of a-Si glass substrates; hence, LTPS plastic substrates have great signal-driven and system integration capabilities. This also drives the AMOLED substrate market.
- Increasing usage of AMOLED substrate for displays using low-temperature polysilicon (LTPS) plastic substrates that have a higher resolution enables small size displays to have 4K ultra high resolution, which in turn is also propelling the market
Asia Pacific to Lead Global AMOLED Substrate Market
- In terms of region, the global AMOLED substrate market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- Increased use of smartphones, smartwatches, and other wearable products is driving the market in Asia Pacific, as consumer electronic device are witnessing an increasing use of AMOLED substrate to make dynamic bending displays or even folding displays. Innovation in technologies is expected to further fuel the demand for AMOLED substrate.
- Asia Pacific is expected to dominate the global AMOLED substrate market due to an increase in demand for plastic substrate that is utilized to make thin display in televisions and smartphones
- The AMOLED substrate market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a high growth rate due to the presence of major players in the region and increased competition among them. The market in North America is estimated to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period owing to less competition in the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global AMOLED Substrate Market
Major players operating in global AMOLED substrate market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to cater to the rising demand for AMOLED substrate. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative and advanced technologies.
Key players operating in the global AMOLED substrate market include:
- BOE Technology Group Co., Ltd.
- AGC Inc.
- Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd
- Corning Incorporated
- AvanStrate Inc.
Global AMOLED Substrate Market: Research Scope
Global AMOLED Substrate Market, by Substrate Type
Global AMOLED Substrate Market, by Application
- Smart watch
- Automobile display
- HMI display
- Others (Television, Laptops, etc.)
Global AMOLED Substrate Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Electronic
- Aerospace and defense
- Others (Healthcare, Industrial, etc.)
Global AMOLED Substrate Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.