- Alphamethylstyrene, also known as isopropenyl benzene, is an organic compound with molecular formula of C6H5C(CH3)CH2. It is a colorless liquid that emits sharp odor. Alphamethylstyrene is used as co-monomer in numerous polymerization processes in order to improve the heat and impact resistance of products. Alphamethylstyrene is manufactured as a byproduct in the phenol manufacturing process of cumene oxidation.
- Alphamethylstyrene undergoes purification by constant distillation at a reduced pressure in order to decrease phenol, cumene, and butyl benzene impurities. Alphamethylstyrene can be easily copolymerized with monomers such as benzene and acrylates. The price of alphamethylstyrene depends upon the price trends of benzene.
- Alphamethylstyrene is employed in a wide range of applications such as adhesives, plastics, and chemicals. It is utilized in the manufacture of resins, including acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, in the plastics industry. Additionally, alphamethylstyrene is used as a plastic additive. Furthermore, alphamethylstyrene is employed in the manufacture of perfumes, lubricating oils, and plasticizers.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Alphamethylstyrene Market
- Increase in adoption of alphamethylstyrene in protective gear and automotive manufacturing applications is a major factor estimated to drive the global alphamethylstyrene market during the forecast period. Additionally, rise in demand for alphamethylstyrene in the chemicals industry, where alphamethylstyrene is utilized as an intermediate, is projected to boost the alphamethylstyrene market in the near future.
- Rise in demand for plasticizers, wax, coatings, and adhesives in the automotive industry is a key factor propelling the global alphamethylstyrene market. Furthermore, growth in demand for acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resins owing to constant expansion in automotive and electronics sectors is augmenting the demand for alphamethylstyrene. Increase in investments by key manufacturers in order to enhance the manufacturing process is another factor anticipated to boost the global alphamethylstyrene market during the forecast period.
- Alphamethylstyrene is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents such as copper, mercury, and alkaline pesticides. This is a prominent factor expected to hamper the global alphamethylstyrene market during the forecast period.
Alphamethylstyrene: Purity Segment
- Based on purity, the global alphamethylstyrene market can be bifurcated into below 99% and above 99%
- In terms of revenue, the below 99% segment is anticipated to account for major share of the global market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to increase in adoption of alphamethylstyrene in the production of heat-resistant ABS. Alphamethylstyrene is also used as raw material of organic compounds in the production process of pigments and paint adhesives.
Alphamethylstyrene: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global alphamethylstyrene market can be divided into resins, plasticizers, adhesives, coatings, wax, chemical intermediates, and others
- In terms of revenue, the resins segment is projected to constitute significant share of the global alphamethylstyrene market during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact on Alphamethylstyrene Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials and shortage of labor. This is expected to hamper the global alphamethylstyrene market in the near future.
Europe to Dominate Global Alphamethylstyrene Market
- In terms of region, the global alphamethylstyrene market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America is expected to account for significant share of the global alphamethylstyrene market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the increase in adoption of alphamethylstyrene in automotive and wax industries in the region. The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Alphamethylstyrene Market
The global alphamethylstyrene market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global alphamethylstyrene market include:
- INEOS Group Holdings S.A.
- Kumho Petrochemical Co., Ltd.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- Sunoco Chemicals
- Prasol Chemicals Pvt. Ltd.
- Solvay SA
- AdvanSix Inc.
- Mitsui Chemicals, Inc.
- Versalis SPA
- Taiwan Prosperity Chemical Corp
Global Alphamethylstyrene Market: Research Scope
Global Alphamethylstyrene Market, by Type
- Below 99%
- Above 99%
Global Alphamethylstyrene Market, by End-use
- Chemical intermediates
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.