Allyl Alcohol: Introduction
- Allyl alcohol is a colorless liquid. Allyl alcohol emits mustard-like odor. When compared to water, allyl alcohol is less dense, but the vapors are heavier than air. Allyl alcohol is toxic by inhalation and ingestion. Exposure to low concentration or even short exposure to high concentrations may have adverse health effects on human beings. There are various methods of manufacturing allyl alcohol.
- Allyl alcohol can be obtained by hydrolyzing allyl chloride with sodium hydroxide solution. The hydrolyzing process yields high concentration of allyl alcohol. Increase in commercial interest to obtain better yields has replaced the hydrolysis method with catalytic rearrangement of propene oxide. Under this method, propene oxide vapor is passed over lithium phosphate catalyst. Other methods of obtaining allyl alcohol include catalytic hydrogenation of acrolein in vapor phase.
- Allyl alcohol is used as a precursor to many specialized compounds such as drying oils, flame resistant materials, and plasticizers. Additionally, allyl alcohol is used as feedstock for the production of glycerol. Ally alcohol is highly toxic, flammable, and reactive; as a result, it needs to be handled carefully.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Allyl Alcohol Market
- Demand for allyl alcohol is primarily dependent on the demand and consumption characteristics of chemical and plastic industries. Rise in demand for glycerol production and polymer-based products is boosting the market for allyl alcohol.
- Demand for allyl alcohol is high in the manufacture of safety glass, CRT screens, paints & coatings, silane coupling agents, optical resins, and polymer crosslinking agents. The market is also set to witness healthy growth owing to the adoption of allyl alcohol in the resin industry. Increase in adoption of allyl alcohol in the paints & coating industry is anticipated to provide further impetus to the market during the forecast period.
- Stringent environmental laws and regulations present in regions such as North America and Europe are estimated to hamper the allyl alcohol market
Allyl Alcohol: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global allyl alcohol market can be segmented into optical resins, safety glass, CRT screens, paints & coatings, silane coupling agents, polymer crosslinking agents, and others
- The polymer crosslinking agents segment is expected to account for significant share of the global allyl alcohol market during the forecast period
- The silane coupling agents segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period
Covid-19 Impact on Allyl Alcohol Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials and shortage of labor. This is expected to hamper the allyl alcohol market to some extent.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Allyl Alcohol Market
- In terms of region, the global allyl alcohol market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America held significant share of the global allyl alcohol market in 2019. It is anticipated to remain a key region of the global market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the rise in demand for allyl alcohol in the manufacture of various chemical intermediaries. Europe is also predicted to be one of the major regional markets for allyl alcohol. The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand rapidly owing to significant advancements in polymer and chemical manufacturing sectors in countries such as China, India, South Korea, and Japan. Rapid growth in the plastic industry is also fuelling the demand for allyl alcohol in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Allyl Alcohol Market
The global allyl alcohol market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global allyl alcohol market include:
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- Showa Denko K.K.
- Seqens Group
- Zouping Mingxing Chemical Co. Ltd.
- Daicel Corporation
- Dow Chemical
- Mitsubishi Chemical
- Dairen Chemical Corporation (DCC)
Global Allyl Alcohol Market: Research Scope
Global Allyl Alcohol Market, by Application
- Optical Resins
- Safety Glass
- CRT Screens
- Paints & Coatings
- Silane Coupling Agents
- Polymer Crosslinking Agents
Global Allyl Alcohol Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!