Air-independent Propulsion System: Introduction
- Air-independent propulsion system is a marine propulsion technology that allows a submarine to operate without access to the atmospheric oxygen. Air-independent propulsion system can be retrofitted or fitted as an auxiliary source on a submarine, with the diesel engine to handle surface propulsion.
- Air-independent propulsion system generates electricity to drive an electric motor for propulsion or recharge the batteries of a boat
Key Drivers and Restraints of Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- Diesel-electric submarines have less underwater endurance time, as they need to come to the surface frequently to charge their batteries. Batteries used in a submarine get discharged in four to five days and need to be recharged. Rapid discharge of batteries in submarines has boosted the demand for a system that may enable diesel-electric submarines to recharge their batteries without keeping their engines running. This is expected to drive the air-independent propulsion system market during the forecast period, as the air-independent propulsion technology enables a submarine to operate without the need of the outside air.
- Technological innovation in design of submarine to make it quieter and increase their underwater endurance is expected to drive the air-independent propulsion system market
- Expansion of submarine fleet along with the increase in importance of submarines in naval warfare is anticipated to propel the air-independent propulsion system market during the forecast period
Retrofit Installation Segment Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- The global air-independent propulsion system market can be segmented based on installation and region
- Based on installation, the global air-independent propulsion system market can be classified into retrofit and line-fit. Increase in demand for a system that enables the existing diesel-electric submarines to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen is expected to drive the demand for retrofit installation in air-independent propulsion systems.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed strict lockdowns as part of measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Many multinational development projects and production activities have been either slowed down or have come to a halt due to delays caused by supply chain, logistics, and related disruptions.
- Defense projects involve rigorous supply chains where contractors procure several components and parts from suppliers all over the world. This has been the standard mode of operation, especially for the defense sector in Western countries. Disruption in the supply chain has adversely affected the manufacture of air-independent propulsion system. Thus, the COVID-19 pandemic has hampered the global air-independent propulsion system market.
- In December 2020, General Directorate of Armament and Material of Spain signed a contract with Jalvasub Engineering to launch Medusa 300, a fuel-cell for air-independent propulsion (AIP) for the S-80 submarines for the Navy of Spain
- In November 2019, The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) announced plans to build a fuel cell-based air-independent propulsion (AIP) system for Indian naval submarines
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- In terms of region, the global air-independent propulsion system market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- North America is projected to hold key share of the market during the forecast period due to ongoing investments in development of shipbuilding infrastructure in the region
- Europe is likely to be a stable region of the global air-independent propulsion system market, owing to the presence of aging submarine replacement programs. Technological advancement in design of marine propulsion systems to optimize their efficiency is anticipated to boost the demand for air-independent propulsion system in Europe in the near future.
- The air-independent propulsion system market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to surge in investments in the development of fuel cell-based air-independent propulsion systems for submarines. Increase in shipbuilding activities in developing economies, including China, Japan, India, is also anticipated to propel the market in the region. Introduction of ambitious plans to establish naval superiority in the Pacific is further estimated to support the growth of the air-independent propulsion system market in Asia Pacific.
Key Players Operating in Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
Leading companies operating in the global air-independent propulsion system market include:
- General Dynamics Corporation
- China Shipbuilding Industry Co., Ltd
- Siemens AG
Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market: Research Scope
Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market, by Installation
Global Marine Electrical Consumable Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.