Air-independent Propulsion System: Introduction
- Air-independent propulsion system is a marine propulsion technology that allows a submarine to operate without access to the atmospheric oxygen. Air-independent propulsion system can be retrofitted or fitted as an auxiliary source on a submarine, with the diesel engine to handle surface propulsion.
- Air-independent propulsion system generates electricity to drive an electric motor for propulsion or recharge the batteries of a boat
Key Drivers and Restraints of Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- Diesel-electric submarines have less underwater endurance time, as they need to come to the surface frequently to charge their batteries. Batteries used in a submarine get discharged in four to five days and need to be recharged. Rapid discharge of batteries in submarines has boosted the demand for a system that may enable diesel-electric submarines to recharge their batteries without keeping their engines running. This is expected to drive the air-independent propulsion system market during the forecast period, as the air-independent propulsion technology enables a submarine to operate without the need of the outside air.
- Technological innovation in design of submarine to make it quieter and increase their underwater endurance is expected to drive the air-independent propulsion system market
- Expansion of submarine fleet along with the increase in importance of submarines in naval warfare is anticipated to propel the air-independent propulsion system market during the forecast period
Retrofit Installation Segment Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- The global air-independent propulsion system market can be segmented based on installation and region
- Based on installation, the global air-independent propulsion system market can be classified into retrofit and line-fit. Increase in demand for a system that enables the existing diesel-electric submarines to operate without access to atmospheric oxygen is expected to drive the demand for retrofit installation in air-independent propulsion systems.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed strict lockdowns as part of measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Many multinational development projects and production activities have been either slowed down or have come to a halt due to delays caused by supply chain, logistics, and related disruptions.
- Defense projects involve rigorous supply chains where contractors procure several components and parts from suppliers all over the world. This has been the standard mode of operation, especially for the defense sector in Western countries. Disruption in the supply chain has adversely affected the manufacture of air-independent propulsion system. Thus, the COVID-19 pandemic has hampered the global air-independent propulsion system market.
- In December 2020, General Directorate of Armament and Material of Spain signed a contract with Jalvasub Engineering to launch Medusa 300, a fuel-cell for air-independent propulsion (AIP) for the S-80 submarines for the Navy of Spain
- In November 2019, The Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) announced plans to build a fuel cell-based air-independent propulsion (AIP) system for Indian naval submarines
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
- In terms of region, the global air-independent propulsion system market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- North America is projected to hold key share of the market during the forecast period due to ongoing investments in development of shipbuilding infrastructure in the region
- Europe is likely to be a stable region of the global air-independent propulsion system market, owing to the presence of aging submarine replacement programs. Technological advancement in design of marine propulsion systems to optimize their efficiency is anticipated to boost the demand for air-independent propulsion system in Europe in the near future.
- The air-independent propulsion system market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period due to surge in investments in the development of fuel cell-based air-independent propulsion systems for submarines. Increase in shipbuilding activities in developing economies, including China, Japan, India, is also anticipated to propel the market in the region. Introduction of ambitious plans to establish naval superiority in the Pacific is further estimated to support the growth of the air-independent propulsion system market in Asia Pacific.
Key Players Operating in Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market
Leading companies operating in the global air-independent propulsion system market include:
- General Dynamics Corporation
- China Shipbuilding Industry Co., Ltd
- Siemens AG
Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market: Research Scope
Global Air-independent Propulsion System Market, by Installation
Global Marine Electrical Consumable Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!