Aircraft Nacelle: Introduction
- Aircraft nacelle is an integral part of an aircraft engine. It optimizes the air flow through the engine and protects the latter from any aggression such as fire or lightning.
- Aircrafts nacelle offers several basic functions such as noise abatement, de-icing, management of internal and external temperature differences, and protection from fire and lightning
- Aircraft nacelle components primarily consist of inlet cowl, fan cowl, thrust reverser, and exhaust. These play a key role in engine operations. Manufacturers are focusing on emission- and noise-free aircraft engine in order to increase efficiency.
Key Drivers of Aircraft Nacelle Components Market
- Increase in demand for high strength and light weight aircraft nacelle components in industries such as passenger aircraft and military aircraft in developing and developed economies is expected to drive the global aircraft nacelle components market
- Rise in demand for military and commercial aircraft is anticipated to boost the global aircraft nacelle components market between 2021 and 2031. Aircraft nacelle components offer various benefits such as noise abatement, protection from fire and lightning, and management of internal and external temperatures. This is also expected to drive the market in the near future.
- Growth in the global aircraft nacelle components market can also be ascribed to the rise in production rate of aircraft such as B737, B787, A320, and A350XWB. Increase in demand for air connectivity and rise in number of airports are also some of the factors driving the aircraft nacelle components market.
- Technological advancement in engine technology is likely to change the overall nacelle structure with different components having different level of integration. This is projected to propel the global aircraft nacelle components market between 2021 and 2031.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The coronavirus pandemic has significantly hampered the global economy. Most of the countries enforced stringent lockdowns as a measure to combat the pandemic. During these lockdown, several restrictions have been placed on movement of individuals and economic activities. This compelled aircraft manufacturers to halt their production facilities. In turn, this has adversely affected the demand for aircraft nacelle components.
- In October 2018, Safran inaugurated a new nacelle integration plant for the airbus A320neo in Hamburg, Germany. The company invested US$ 11.79 Mn in an integrated 8000 square meter plant.
- In August 2018, Ducommun Inc., a U.S.-based electronic manufacturer, won a long term contract worth more than US$ 200 Mn to manufacture nacelle components for engine original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to support high rate single-aisle aircraft
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market: Key Segment
- The global aircraft nacelle components market can be segmented based on material type, application, engine type, end-user, and region
- Based on material type, the global aircraft nacelle components market can be segregated into composites, nickel alloys, titanium, and other metals. The composites segment is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period, as composites are widely used in aircraft nacelles due their excellent strength-to-weight ratio at relatively low weight.
- Based on application, the global aircraft nacelle components market can be divided into general aviation, commercial, business aircraft, and others. The commercial segment is anticipated to expand significantly due to rise in investment in development of premium and comfortable passenger aircraft.
- Based on engine type, the global aircraft nacelle components market can be classified into turbofan and turboprop. The turbofan segment holds major share of the market due to increase in demand for turbofan aircraft in commercial and general aviation segments.
- Based on end-user, the global aircraft nacelle components market can be categorized into original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and maintenance repair overhaul (MRO). The original equipment manufacturer (OEM) segment is projected to account for major share of the market in the near future.
North America to Hold Major Share of Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market
- Based on region, the global aircraft nacelle components market can be split into Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Middle East & Africa, and Latin America
- North America is expected to hold major share of the global aircraft nacelle components market during the forecast period due to the presence of large numbers of manufacturers of airplane components. Furthermore, technological innovation in design of aircraft nacelle for reducing weight of plane is anticipated to propel the market in the region during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is estimated to account for vital share of the global aircraft nacelle components market in the near future. Growth of the market in the region can be ascribed to increase in usage of air transportation and opening of assembly plants of Boeing and Airbus for B737, A320, and A330 aircraft. This, in turn, is anticipated to drive the market in the region.
- Europe is estimated to be a highly attractive region of the global aircraft nacelle components market during the forecast period due to rise in demand for military and commercial aircraft in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Leading companies operating in the global aircraft nacelle components market are:
- GKN Aerospace Services Limited
- General Electric
- Spirit AeroSystems, Inc.
- CFM International
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Leonardo S.p.A.
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market: Research Scope
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market, by Material Type
- Nickel Alloys
- Other Metals
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market, by Application
- General Aviation
- Business Aircraft
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market, by Engine Type
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market, by End-user
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)
- Maintenance Repair Overhaul (MRO)
Global Aircraft Nacelle Components Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!