A battery is a device containing single or multiple cells that convert chemical energy into electrical energy. An aircraft has a main battery and auxiliary power unit (APU) battery. The main battery activates the aircraft even before the aircraft engine has started. Main batteries are also used in refueling the plane. The main battery provides backup power to the aircraft in case of emergency power failure. Aircraft batteries help to power the electrical system in an aircraft. When the APU or engine starts, they drive the aircraft generator which power the aircraft’s electrical system and also recharges the aircraft batteries. APU also acts as redundancies in case of emergency power failure. Lithium ion batteries are used in main and APU batteries. These batteries are made of eight cells that produce ~32-V DC. Lithium ion batteries contain redundancies that help the aircraft to fly even in case of battery fault.
Rising demand for lithium ion based battery compared to nickel cadmium batteries are increasing the market size of the global aircraft battery market. For instance, aircraft manufacturer Boeing has selected 787 Lithium ion batteries for both main and APU batteries. This is expected to increase the demand for Lithium ion batteries that further drives the aircraft battery market. Nickel cadmium batteries are larger and heavier and less efficient than Lithium ion batteries. Rising demand for military aircraft batteries are also driving the size of the aircraft battery market. With rise in demand for highly sophisticated aircrafts for defense forces, there is a need for advanced, light weight batteries for aircrafts. This is subsequently driving the demand for light weight aircraft batteries and increasing the market size of the global aircraft battery market.
In terms of type, the global aircraft battery market has been segmented into Lithium based battery, Nickel based battery, and Lead acid battery. Lithium based batteries are also known as secondary batteries and can be recharged. Lithium battery cells consist of a graphite anode and a cathode that can accept and release lithium ion repeatedly for battery recharging. Nickel based batteries are of two types: Nickel Cadmium based battery and Nickel Metal Hydride. Nickel Cadmium batteries consists of cadmium hydroxide anode and nickel hydroxide cathode. Nickel Cadmium batteries are used in the main battery of the aircraft and other applications. Lead acid battery consists of lead oxide anode and element lead cathode. By application, the aircraft battery market is fragmented into engine operation, hydraulic operation, navigation, and lighting among others.
Geographically, the aircraft battery market has been classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America. North America is a prominent market with the U.S. expected to be the largest aircraft battery market for both commercial and military aircrafts followed by Canada and Mexico. Europe is a major market for aircraft batteries. The major markets in Europe are Germany, the U.K., France, Italy, and Spain. Asia Pacific is one of the dominant markets with China expected to the largest aircraft battery market in the region. Other significant markets in the region are Japan, South Korea, and India. Middle East & Africa is a significant market. GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) is expected to be a major market in the region followed by South Africa. GCC consists of UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait and Bahrain. South America is another significant market with Brazil expected to the largest aircraft battery market in the region.
The major players operating in the global aircraft battery market are Tadiran Batteries, Sion Power, Saft, Cella Energy, Concorde Battery, True Blue Power, HBL Power Systems, GS Yuasa, Gill Battery and Aerolithium Batteries among others.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.