Advanced Ceramic Powders: Introduction
- Advanced ceramic powders are used in a diverse range of applications. Product lines of advanced ceramic powders are extensive. They include non-oxide ceramic powders, specializing in boron, boride, carbide, and nitride powders. Advanced ceramic powders are employed in applications such as thermal management, automotive pyrotechnics, technical ceramics, solar, and electronics.
Types of Advanced Ceramic Powders
- Advanced ceramic powders are broadly segmented based on material groups such as boron, borides, carbides, nitrides, oxides, silicon, and silicide. Boron ceramic powders are available in amorphous and crystalline states. Amorphous boron is used in pyrotechnics (airbag igniters, flares, and propellants), explosives, and advanced ceramics, while crystalline boron qualifies for permanent magnets (Nd-Fe-B), refractory borides, targets, or neutron shielding in the nuclear industry.
- Boride ceramic powders account for dominant share of the global advanced ceramic powder market due to their hardness, and chemical and thermal resistance. They are used in high-temperature furnaces, turbine blades, and armor plates. The most significant boride is titanium boride (TiB2), which is characterized by its high hardness, high melting point at over 3.200°C, and electrical conductivity. It is used in the production of evaporation boats. Various borides are produced and supplied to different industries.
Applications of Advanced Ceramic Powders
- Based on application, the global advanced ceramic powders market can be divided into casting, pyrotechnics, heating elements, and thermal management
- Silicon nitride (Si3N4) is used for the production of silicon nitride feeders and riser tubes in the casting industry. Silicon nitride is characterized by extraordinary thermal shock resistance as well as high corrosion and wear resistance.
- Amorphous boron is used for many pyrotechnical applications (for example, ignition source for airbag inflators or propellant additives)
- Aluminum Nitride (AlN) is considered a material of choice for substrates, ceramic parts, and filler applications in heat-releasing environments, due to its thermal conductivity and electrical insulation properties. AlN is superior to Alumina (Al2O3) and Silicon Carbide (SiC) in relevant applications.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Advanced Ceramic Powders Market
- The global coronavirus outbreak is posing severe challenges to the global advanced ceramic powders market. The pandemic has disrupted the supply chain network, as there was limited/no production in organizations due to lockdown. Some companies had limited access to their workforce. This impacted the overall production of factories.
- Customers began hoarding various products during the pandemic, as supply was limited at the backend due to factory lockdowns. This led to a loss of market share for numerous companies, as customers started looking for substitutes.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Advanced Ceramic Powders Market
- In terms of region, the global advanced ceramic powders market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of volume, Asia Pacific dominated the global advanced ceramic powders market in 2019. This can be ascribed to growth in the casting industry in developing countries such China and India in the region.
- Europe is anticipated to create lucrative opportunities for the advanced ceramic powders market due to the increase in usage of these powders in pyrotechnic applications
- The advanced ceramic powders market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period due to the presence of lesser number of manufacturers in these regions
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- The global advanced ceramic powders market is consolidated, with players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products; and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Prominent players operating in the global advanced ceramic powders market include:
- Höganäs AB
- SCI Engineered Materials
Global Advanced Ceramic Powders Market: Research Scope
Global Advanced Ceramic Powders Market, by Type
Global Advanced Ceramic Powders Market, by Application
- Heating Elements
- Thermal Management
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!