Activated Carbon Fiber Market Introduction
- Activated carbon, also called activated charcoal, is a form of carbon processed to have small, low volume pores that increase the surface area available for adsorption or chemical reactions. Activated carbon is used in methane and hydrogen storage, air purification, solvent recovery, decaffeination, gold purification, metal extraction, water purification, medicine, sewage treatment, air filters in respirators, teeth whitening, and many other application. Activated carbon is useful as an adsorbent. Demand for activated carbon fiber has been increasing in the field of prevention of environmental pollution.
- Earlier, activated carbon would be produced from charcoal, animal charcoal, etc. Currently, it is possible to produce it through the synthetic production process by using resins such as polyvinyl chloride and polyvinylidene chloride. The usage of activated carbon as a fiber has an advantage. It can be used more functionally than conventional powdery or granular activated.
Key Drivers of Activated Carbon Fiber Market
- Various adsorbent materials are used in the production of chemical protective clothing. These materials include activated carbon powder, sphere, or fabric. Activated carbon fiber is a novel carbonaceous material with high adsorption rate and larger adsorption capacity. It is also used in firefighting, mining, medical, construction, and other manufacturing industries. Activated carbon fiber protective suits are more comfortable, light in weight, and can sustain multiple laundries. Thus, demand for activated carbon fiber has been increasing in the protective clothing industry. Protective clothing is used almost in every workplace, from commercial kitchen to building sites.
- Activated carbon fiber is also used in adsorptive removal of waste liquids in various industries such as textile, dye, and metal processing. This is likely to boost the global demand for activated carbon fiber, thereby driving the global activated carbon fiber market.
Restraints of Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market
- Availability of alternatives and implementation of various government rules and laws in different regions have led to some challenges in terms of supply chain. This is hampering the global activated carbon fiber market.
COVID-19 Impact on Activated Carbon Fiber Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic is hampering the demand for activated carbon fiber in numerous applications. Several governments across the globe enforced lockdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus. These lockdowns resulted in the slowdown and halt in manufacturing operations, restrictions on supply and transport, and infrastructure slowdown, which are adversely affecting the demand for activated carbon fiber.
- Key players operating in the activated carbon fiber market are primarily tier I and tier II manufacturers and suppliers. Manufacture and supply chain facilities of these manufacturers are spread across various countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Numerous players have halted their production output in the last few months due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic has negatively impacted the demand and supply chain of these materials. Thus, demand for activated carbon fiber market declined significantly in 2020.
- The COVID-19 outbreak has directly affected the production and demand for activated carbon. The industrial shutdown caused by the COVID 19 pandemic has created a disruption in the supply chain. Disruption in supply of raw materials is projected to hamper full-scale operations of companies operating in the market.
Competitive Landscape of Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market
- Major players operating in the global activated carbon fiber market are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies such as joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, expansion, collaborations, new product launches, strategic alliances, and research and development to increase their regional presence and business operations
- The market is currently witnessing fierce competition among several leading players. Key players operating in the global activated carbon fiber market include:
- Osaka Gas Chemicals Co.Ltd
- Kuraray Company
- HPMS Graphite
- Anshan Sinocarb Carbon Fibers Co., LTD
- Evertech Envisafe Ecology Co.,LTD
- Jiangsu Tongkang Special Activated Carbon Fiber & Fabric Co., Ltd.
- Unitika Ltd
Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market: Research Scope
Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market, by Raw Material
Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market, by Application
- Chemical Separation & Catalysis
- Protective Clothing
Global Activated Carbon Fiber Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!