5G in Defense: Introduction
- The 5th generation of global wireless standard is designed to connect virtually everyone and everything together including machines, objects, and devices.
- 5G technology is widely used in the defense sector for communication and security due to its specifications such as higher network speed and lower latency.
- 5G in defense market is segmented in terms of communication infrastructure, core network technology, platform, end-use, network type, chipset, operational frequency, installation, and region.
Rise in Demand for Small Cells
- In terms of communication infrastructure, the small cell segment is the fastest growing segment of the global 5G in defense market.
- With the introduction of 5G networks, data connectivity speed is expected to increase significantly, and small cells help facilitate 5G deployment. They are anticipated to play an important role in the market for 5G communication infrastructure.
- Based on platform, the airborne segment holds the second largest share of the global 5G in defense market due to its various applications in drones and communications with high efficiency.
- In May 2020, Ericsson signed a contract with T-Mobile US, Inc. This partnership enables high-quality voice services utilizing VoLTE in the SA architecture while the industry is fully developing Voice over New Radio (VoNR) 5G technology.
- Delay by the international community in the use of 5G for the defense sector, and lack of a knowledgeable workforce are the major restraints of the global 5G in defense market.
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on 5G in Defense Market, Request for a Sample
North America to Lead the 5G in Defense Market
- In terms of region, the global 5G in defense market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- North America is expected to witness highest growth in the 5G in defense market throughout the forecast period due to the rise in investment by the US Department of Defense in 5G technology.
- Moreover, the growing use of connected systems through IoT, rising demand for low-latency communication technology, and the allocation of a wide frequency band to the US military has opened new opportunities for developers to develop 5G components and enhance the efficiency of the 5G system.
- The 5G in defense market in Asia Pacific is projected to hold the second largest share during the forecast period since the countries in the region are striving to improve the processing and functioning of ISR (intelligence, surveillance & reconnaissance) systems.
- The 5G in defense market in Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa, and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global 5G in Defense Market
The global 5G in defense market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for 5G in defense. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global 5G in defense market are:
- Nokia Networks
- Thales Group
- L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
- Raytheon Technologies
- Ligado Networks
- Wind River Systems, Inc.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Global 5G in Defense Market: Research Scope
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Communication Infrastructure
- Small cell
- Macro Cell
- Radio Access Network (RAN)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Core Network Technology
- Software-defined Networking (SDN)
- Fog Computing (FC)
- Mobile Edge Computing (MEC)
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Platform
Global 5G in Defense Market, by End-use
- Homeland Security
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Network Type
- Enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB)
- Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communications (URLLC)
- Massive Machine Type Communications (MMTC)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Chipset
- Application-specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Chipset
- Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit (RFIC) Chipset
- Millimeter Wave (mmWave) Chipset
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Operational Frequency
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Installation
- New Implementation
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.