The 5G in defense market is estimated to observe stable growth across the assessment period of 2020-2030. The utilization of 5G technologies in defense sector due to minimized latency and maximized speed will bring tremendous growth opportunities for the 5G in defense market.
- The evolving role of defense across various countries and regions will have a large impact on the growth of the 5G in defense market. Many countries are focusing on improving their military infrastructure by upgrading varied technologies. For quick upgradation and high efficiency levels, seamless connectivity is necessary. Thus, these factors play an important role in the growth of the 5G in defense market.
- Government bodies of numerous countries are spending heavily on the defense infrastructure for protecting their borders from anti-social elements in the neighboring countries. In addition, clashes between certain neighboring countries will further strengthen the budgetary spending on the defense sector. Thus, all these factors bode well for the growth of the 5G in defense market.
- Expansion of the telecommunication infrastructure because of the support of the government bodies will have a major part in the growth of the 5G in defense market. The players in the 5G in defense market will have immense opportunities to generate profits due to the expansion measures undertaken by them.
5G in Defense: Introduction
- The 5th generation of global wireless standard is designed to connect virtually everyone and everything together including machines, objects, and devices.
- 5G technology is widely used in the defense sector for communication and security due to its specifications such as higher network speed and lower latency.
- 5G in defense market is segmented in terms of communication infrastructure, core network technology, platform, end-use, network type, chipset, operational frequency, installation, and region.
Rise in Demand for Small Cells
- In terms of communication infrastructure, the small cell segment is the fastest growing segment of the global 5G in defense market.
- With the introduction of 5G networks, data connectivity speed is expected to increase significantly, and small cells help facilitate 5G deployment. They are anticipated to play an important role in the market for 5G communication infrastructure.
- Based on platform, the airborne segment holds the second largest share of the global 5G in defense market due to its various applications in drones and communications with high efficiency.
- In May 2020, Ericsson signed a contract with T-Mobile US, Inc. This partnership enables high-quality voice services utilizing VoLTE in the SA architecture while the industry is fully developing Voice over New Radio (VoNR) 5G technology.
- Delay by the international community in the use of 5G for the defense sector, and lack of a knowledgeable workforce are the major restraints of the global 5G in defense market.
North America to Lead the 5G in Defense Market
- In terms of region, the global 5G in defense market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- North America is expected to witness highest growth in the 5G in defense market throughout the forecast period due to the rise in investment by the US Department of Defense in 5G technology.
- Moreover, the growing use of connected systems through IoT, rising demand for low-latency communication technology, and the allocation of a wide frequency band to the US military has opened new opportunities for developers to develop 5G components and enhance the efficiency of the 5G system.
- The 5G in defense market in Asia Pacific is projected to hold the second largest share during the forecast period since the countries in the region are striving to improve the processing and functioning of ISR (intelligence, surveillance & reconnaissance) systems.
- The 5G in defense market in Europe is expected to expand at a substantial rate during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Middle East & Africa, and South America is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in the Global 5G in Defense Market
The global 5G in defense market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansion to meet the rising demand for 5G in defense. Moreover, manufacturers are undertaking mergers and acquisitions for the development of innovative products.
Key players operating in the global 5G in defense market are:
- Nokia Networks
- Thales Group
- L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
- Raytheon Technologies
- Ligado Networks
- Wind River Systems, Inc.
Global 5G in Defense Market: Research Scope
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Communication Infrastructure
- Small cell
- Macro Cell
- Radio Access Network (RAN)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Core Network Technology
- Software-defined Networking (SDN)
- Fog Computing (FC)
- Mobile Edge Computing (MEC)
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Platform
Global 5G in Defense Market, by End-use
- Homeland Security
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Network Type
- Enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB)
- Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communications (URLLC)
- Massive Machine Type Communications (MMTC)
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Chipset
- Application-specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Chipset
- Radio Frequency Integrated Circuit (RFIC) Chipset
- Millimeter Wave (mmWave) Chipset
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Operational Frequency
Global 5G in Defense Market, by Installation
- New Implementation