5G in Aviation: Introduction
- 5G is the fifth generation of mobile connection technology, which connects devices, infrastructures, and IoT objects and services with low latency and fast data transfer speeds for end-users.
- 5G uses an orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing technique to modulate digital signals over several channels to reduce interference and enable high-speed network access, allowing it to be used in large IoT connection creation and mission-critical communication activities.
- 5G in aviation delivers core wireless transmission for seamless connection between the ground control room and flight crew for a safe and user-friendly experience. It provides ease in complex operations.
- 5G in aviation provides optimized solutions to minimize downtime and further aids in reducing intervention in ground support equipment which is considered a crucial investment for medium and small-sized airports to compete in the future.
- 5G in aviation enables better connectivity for contactless solutions for preflight, in-flight, and post-flight operations, which is becoming a new norm for air travel and thus has strong potential in the industry.
Global 5G in Aviation Market: Dynamics
Global 5G in Aviation Market: Key Drivers
- Increasing demand for better in-flight connectivity for video streaming, online interactions, and instant updates on flight schedules is expected to drive the market for 5G in aviation over the forecast period.
- A growing consumer base for air travel in both business and leisure segments along with demand for real-time schedules on flight availability and flexible fare schemes is expected to further boost the 5G in aviation market in the coming years.
- Technological advancements in the telecommunications industry, which enable multi-device access over high-speed networks, are expected to drive the 5G in aviation market globally.
- Rising integration of IoT applications to enhance the user experience and improve internal management has been a major trend in the aviation industry, which further contributes to the advancement in the 5G in aviation market.
- However, increasing concerns over 5G interfering with flight navigation systems as its bandwidth is closer to Global Positioning System (GPS) is anticipated to hamper the development of 5G in aviation over the forecast period.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global 5G in Aviation Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the aviation industry adversely across the globe with increasing restrictions on air travel followed by rising complexities in the passenger journey. 5G in aviation has promising integration in airport operations owing to enhanced connectivity through strong communication channels. Airports are implementing multi-access layers of 5G and utilizing network slicing to achieve precise geolocation connectivity and reduce the network latency, which is further expected to propel the market during and after the pandemic.
North America to account for Major Share of the Global 5G in Aviation Market
- In terms of region, the global 5G in aviation market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- In 2020, North America accounted for a large share of the global 5G in aviation market. Technological developments, along with an increase in demand for connectivity owing to smart airports in the region, are likely to drive market growth over the forecast period.
- The aviation industry in Asia Pacific has witnessed several challenges in the year 2020 with stringent government regulations on international and domestic travel in countries such as China, India, and Singapore, to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which further hampers the market for 5G in aviation in the region.
Global 5G in Aviation Market: Competition Landscape
Key companies operating in the 5G in aviation market are dominating the industry with strategic partnerships, extensive R&D investment, and joint ventures with promising market players to develop strong products and service offerings. In April 2021, Ericsson extended its partnership with Airbus to provide 5G ready solutions that enable high-speed data transfer between the team of aeronautical engineers at the Toulouse city site along with IoT solutions through NB-IoT platforms for wider connectivity.
Key Players Operating in the Global 5G in Aviation Market Include:
- AeroMobile Communications
- Cisco Systems
- Gogo LLC
- Global Eagle Entertainment
- Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
- Inseego Corp
- Panasonic Avionics Corporation
- SmartSky Networks, LLC
Global 5G in Aviation Market: Research Scope
Global 5G in Aviation Market, by Technology
- Massive Machine Type Communication (MMTC)
- Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communication (URLLC)
- Enhanced Mobile Broadband Segment (EMBB)
- Fixed Wireless Access (FWA)
Global 5G in Aviation Market, by Communication Infrastructure
- Small cell
- Radio Access Network (RAN)
- Distributed Antenna System (DAS)
Global 5G in Aviation Market, by End-use
- 5G Airports
- 5G Aircrafts
Global 5G in Aviation Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.