- 4,4'-Methylenedianiline is an industrial chemical that is not known to occur naturally. It is also commonly known as diamino diphenylmethane or MDA. It occurs as a colorless to pale yellow solid and has faint odor. It is insoluble in water.
- It is primarily used to produce 4,4'-methylenedianline diisocyanate and other polymeric isocyanates. Acute (short-term) oral and dermal exposure to MDA causes liver damage in humans and animals. MDA can irritate the skin and eyes in humans.
- 4,4'-Methylenedianiline is used primarily for making polyurethane foam, which is used in various applications. It is used as insulating materials in mailing containers. It is also used for making coating materials, glues, Spandex fiber, dyes, and rubber.
- It is also used as a curing agent for epoxy resins and urethane elastomers, as a corrosion preventative for iron, and as an antioxidant for lubricating oils
Key Drivers and Restraints of 4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market
- Polyurethane foam is primarily used in the bedding & furniture industry. It is widely used in pillows and mattresses, bedding applications in hospitals, carpet cushions, boat berths, vehicular seating, aircraft seating, residential & commercial furniture, and office furniture. Flexible polyurethane foams are preferred for bedding and upholstery applications owing to the high resiliency offered by them, while rigid polyurethane foams are predominantly used in simulated wood furniture. Increase in demand for polyurethane foams in various applications is expected to drive the demand for global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market in the next few years.
- Rise in demand for coating materials in construction and maintenance of buildings and structures is expected to create significant opportunities for the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market
- Industrial applications of dyes include textiles and non-textiles such as acid-base indicators, liquid crystal, color filters for displays and sensors, ink jet, lasers, photographic, hairs, food, and biomedical. Demand for 4,4'-Methylenedianiline is anticipated to rise at a significant pace during the forecast period due to the increase in demand for dyes in the textile industry.
4,4'-Methylenedianiline: Purity Segment
- In terms of purity, the global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market can be divided into ≥ 97.00, ≥ 98.00, and ≥ 99.5
- The ≥ 97.00 purity is used in cleaning products, cosmetics, food & beverages, and personal care industries. It is also used as a hardener in the production of epoxy resins and elastomers. It is expected to account for significant share of the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market during the forecast period due to increase in demand for ≥ 97.00 purity type in the cleaning products industry.
- The purity type ≥ 98.00 is used in the determination of tungsten and sulfates, in the preparation of azo dyes, cross-linking agent for epoxy resins, in the rubber industry as a curative for neoprene, as an anti-frosting agent (antioxidant) in footwear, and curing agent for epoxy resins and urethane elastomers. High demand for dyes in the textile industry is driving the global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market.
4,4'-Methylenedianiline: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market can be segmented into polyurethane foams, coating materials, rubber, dyes, and others
- The polyurethane foams segment is projected to gain higher share of the global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market during the forecast period. Large amount of polyurethane foams is used in the bedding & furniture industry. This is projected to boost the global market for 4,4'-Methylenedianiline in the next few years.
- The coating materials segment is projected to hold a key share of the global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market in the near future, owing to the growth of the building & construction industry. Construction and maintenance of buildings and structures requires a large number of coating materials. Architectural and decorative coatings are the largest market of coating materials.
COVID-19 Impact on 4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of 4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market
- In terms of region, the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market, followed by Europe and North America, during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the high production and consumption of 4,4'-Methylenedianiline, especially in the China, India, Japan, Australia. However, the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the increase in demand for of 4,4'-Methylenedianiline in emerging countries such as Germany and the U.K. in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in 4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market
The 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the 4,4'-Methylenedianiline market include:
- BASF SE
- Huntsman International LLC
- BOC Sciences
- Kumho Mitsui Chemicals
- Wanhua Chemical Group Co. Ltd.
- Bayer AG
- Merck KGaA
- LEAP CHEM Co. Ltd.
4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market: Research Scope
4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market, by Purity
4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market, by Application
- Polyurethane Foams
- Coating Materials
Global 4,4'-Methylenedianiline Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!