Global Copper Market: Snapshot
The world copper market is expected to exhibit reliance on economies expanding at a fast rate and developing countries involved in a large number of infrastructure building activities. The rise in the manufacture of industrial machinery, durable goods, transportation equipment, and domestic appliances is anticipated to be nominated as a strong inducement for the global market to grow significantly. Plastic, aluminum, and other substitutes are predicted to pose a punishing effect on the advancement of the market. Howbeit, in the years to come, market vendors are foreseen to be loaded with opportunities as the novel concept of building green structures witnesses an additional development.
By 2023, as per the statistics procured in a report by Transparency Market Research (TMR), the global copper market is prognosticated to attain a colossal revenue of US$171.96 bn. This is expected to be supported by a CAGR of 4.9% prevailing for the forecast period 2015–2023. In 2014, the market was worth a US$138.05 bn.
Electrical and Electronic Products Follow Lead of Construction Market
One of the critical classifications of the international copper market is based on application, which represents vital segments such as consumer products, industrial, electrical and electronic products, construction, and transportation. However, the analysts envisage the construction and electrical and electronic products markets to make the cut in the copper industry. While construction is foretold to cash in on its faster growth to lead the global market, the latter application segment is prophesied to hold the second position. The appealing look of copper seems to have attracted a burgeoning business in various construction domains, including fittings and plumbing. The domestic and industrial purpose electrical cables and wires also employ copper in their manufacture.
Amidst a range of different forms of copper, viz. tube, powder, rods, bars, sections, plates, sheets, and strips, wire rod could count on its extensive scope of application to clasp a king’s share in the world market. Copper wire rods are used in the production of magnet wire usable for electronic parts, wire harness which is used in automobiles, and submarine, underground, large capacity, and ultra-high voltage cables. The tube and powder form markets are envisioned to trail the market for wire rod. Nonetheless, wire rod is projected to steal the glory with a whopping 55.0% volume share in the copper market.
Asia Pacific Humbles Other Regions with Paramount Share
The analysts find no doubt in predicting that the Asia Pacific copper market could be hailed for a maximum share. This is mainly due to the upgraded growth in regional markets such as China and India. Asia Pacific is also expected to rake in a propelling growth on the back of a perpetual advancement in infrastructure upgradation and building and aggressive construction and building activities.
The rapid speed of urbanization catapulting construction activities in India is anticipated to set the tone for the copper market in Asia Pacific. The demand for copper in China could be bolstered by the weighty rate of the domestic manufacturing of household appliances, motor vehicles, and industrial machinery. The need for copper in the production of electronic goods, pipe, electrical wire, and telecommunications equipment in China is due to the evolution of the electrical and electronic sector and constant boom in construction.
While Europe could be following Asia Pacific in terms of growth, North America is predicted to secure the third position in the world copper market. Likewise, the Middle East and Africa and Latin America are envisaged to be poised for a lucrative growth.
Chapter 1 Preface
- Report Description
- Market Segmentation
- Research Scope
- Research Methodology
Chapter 2 Executive Summary
- Global Copper Market, Volume and Revenue, (Mn Tons) (US$ Bn), 2014–2023
- Market Snapshot
Chapter 3 Industry Analysis
- Value Chain Analysis
- Market Dynamics
- Driver 1- Increase in Infrastructural Activities
- Driver 2 - Growing Electronics & Electrical Industry
- Restraint 1 – Competition from Substitute Materials
- Opportunity 1 – Demand for Copper in Green Buildings
- Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
- Market Attractiveness Analysis, by Country – Copper Market
- Market Attractiveness Analysis, by Application – Copper Market
- Company Market Share – Copper Market (%) (2014)
Chapter 4 Copper – Regional Price Trend Analysis
Chapter 5 Copper Market: Form Analysis
- Copper Market – Wire Rod
- Copper Market – Plates, Sheets, & Strips
- Copper Market –Rods, Bars, & Sections
- Copper Market – Others
Chapter 6 Copper Market: Application Analysis
- Global Copper Market for Construction
- Global Copper Market for Electrical & Electronic Products
- Global Copper Market for Transportation
- Global Copper Market for Industrial Applications
- Global Copper Market for Other Applications
Chapter 7 Copper Market: Regional Analysis
- North America Copper Market Overview
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Europe Copper Market Overview
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Overview
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Latin America Copper Market Overview
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Overview
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 8 Company Profiles
- Freeport McMorRan Inc.
- BHP Billiton Group
- Glencore International AG
- Rio Tinto Group
- Anglo American plc
- Aurubis AG
- Grupo Mexico
- KGHM Polska Mied?
- Antofagasta plc
- Jiangxi Copper Corp
- Tongling Nonferrous Metals Group
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals
Chapter 9 List of Customers – Copper Market
Chapter 10 Primary Research – Key Findings
Copper is a ductile metal with high electrical and thermal conductivity. It is a versatile metal with excellent chemical, physical, and aesthetic properties. Copper can be recovered from open pit mines or through the in-situ leach process. It is primarily employed in electrical wires, roofing, plumbing, and industrial machinery.
This report provides detailed description of the copper market in terms of volume and revenue from 2014 to 2023 on the global, regional, and country level. The global and regional volume has been depicted in terms of million tons, while the revenue in US$ Bn. The country level volume is in terms of kilo tons and revenue is in US$ Mn. The study provides historic data for 2014 coupled with forecast from 2015 to 2023 based on volume (kilo tons) and revenue (US$ Mn). The study includes drivers and restraints of the copper market along with impact of these on demand during the forecast period. The report also covers the study of opportunities available in the market on the global and regional level. The study encompasses market attractiveness analysis, wherein various application segments and countries in the mentioned regions are benchmarked based on market size, growth rate, and general attractiveness. Detailed value chain analysis has been included to provide a comprehensive view of the copper market. Analysis of Porter’s Five Forces Model for copper has also been included to help understand the competitive landscape in the market.
The study provides a decisive view of the copper market by segmenting it based on the basis of forms of copper, viz., wire rod; plates, sheets and strips; rods, bars & sections; and others. Additionally, the market has been segmented in terms of application into construction; electrical & electronic products; transportation; industrial; and others. Forms and applications have been analyzed based on present and future trends, and the market has been estimated from 2015 to 2023. Regional segmentation includes current and forecast demand for copper in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The report provides detailed competitive outlook, which includes the market share and profiles of key players operating in the copper market.
Market estimates for this study have been based on volume, with revenue being derived through regional pricing trends. The copper market has been analyzed based on expected demand. Market data for each segment is based on demand volume and corresponding revenue. Prices considered for calculation of revenue are average regional prices obtained through primary quotes from numerous regional suppliers, distributors, and direct selling regional producers based on manufacturer feedback and application and form requirement.
In order to compile the research report, we conducted in-depth interviews and discussions with a wide range of key industry participants and opinion leaders. Primary research represents the bulk of research efforts supplemented by extensive secondary research. We reviewed key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents for competitive analysis and market understanding. Secondary research includes a search of recent trade, technical writing, Internet sources, and statistical data from government websites, trade associations, and agencies. This has proven to be the most reliable, effective, and successful approach for obtaining precise market data, capturing industry participants’ insights, and recognizing business opportunities.
The report also offers competitive landscape of the overall market with profiles of players such as Codelco, Freeport McMoran Inc., Glencore, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, KGHM Polska Miedz, Anglo America, and Antofagasta. Detailed description of company overview in terms of headquarters, inception, upcoming capacities, key mergers & acquisitions, financial overview, and recent developments provides a thorough idea about the competitive positioning of players in the market.
The report segments the copper market as follows:
Global Copper Market - Form Analysis
- Wire rod
- Plates, sheets, & strips
- Rods, bars, & sections
- Others (Including powder, tube etc.)
Global Copper Market - Application Analysis
- Electrical & electronic products
- Others (Including consumer products etc.)
Global Copper Market - Country Analysis
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA