Global Copper Market: Snapshot
The unique perceived benefit of the soft metal copper is its remarkable ductile and malleable properties. It has good electrical and thermal conductivity too. It is also known to have powerful antibacterial properties. Because of all these reasons, copper finds wide applications in various industries. Brass and bronze are the two important alloys of copper. Copper’s malleability and ease of use in machines during the fabrication process allows bulk manufacture of precise copper shapes at a much lesser cost than its substitutes.
Driving demand in the global copper market is the burgeoning infrastructure building in developing countries with fast-expanding economies. Further, the increasing manufacture of domestic appliances, transportation equipment, durable goods, and industrial machinery is also slated to provide a fillip to the market. Countering the growth in the market is the stiff competition from substitutes such as aluminum and plastic. However, the further development of the relatively new concept of green buildings is forecasted to open up new avenues for growth in the near future.
The global market for copper was worth US$138.05 bn in 2014. Rising at a CAGR of 4.9% from 2015 to 2023, it is predicted to reach a value of US$171.96 bn by 2023.
Wide-ranging Applications of Wire Rods Makes them Most Sought After
The metal copper is sold in different forms such as rods, bars, and sections; wire rods; plates, sheets, and strips; and others such as powders, tubes, etc. Among those, the wire rod segment leads the market vis-à-vis volume with around 55.0% share in the market. This is because of the wide-ranging applications of copper rods such as in the production of ultra-high voltage, large capacity underground and submarine cables; wire harness for automobiles; and magnet wires for electronic parts. The wire rod segment is trailed by the powder and tube segment.
Based on application, the key segments of the market are transportation, construction, electrical and electronic products, industrial, and others, including consumer products, etc. The construction segment dominates the market currently and is likely to outperform all other segments in terms of growth pace in the years ahead. This is because copper and brass are mostly used in taps, valves, plumbing, and fittings on account of their appealing appearance. Copper is also used in manufacturing electric cables, both for industrial and domestic purposes. Hence, the electrical and electronic products segment comes second in terms of market share.
Powered by Construction Boom in China and India, Asia Pacific Leads
Geographically, Asia Pacific leads the global market for copper with maximum share. The market in the region has been propelled substantially by the burgeoning building and construction activities and the continued uptick in infrastructure building and upgradation. China and India are the two key markets in Asia Pacific. In fact, China drives the global copper metal market with a robust demand. The country’s ongoing construction boom and the expansion in electrical and electronic sectors has upped the need for copper required in manufacture of telecommunications equipment, electrical wire, pipe, and electronic goods. Significant domestic manufacture of industrial machinery, motor vehicles, and household appliances has also bolstered the demand for the soft metal in the country.
In India too, the market is being driven by the burgeoning construction activity brought about by the swift pace of urbanization. Europe trails Asia Pacific in the global copper market and North America follows in the third position. Latin America and the Middle East and Africa are lucrative markets too and are poised for growth in the next few years.
Chapter 1 Preface
- Report Description
- Market Segmentation
- Research Scope
- Research Methodology
Chapter 2 Executive Summary
- Global Copper Market, Volume and Revenue, (Mn Tons) (US$ Bn), 2014–2023
- Market Snapshot
Chapter 3 Industry Analysis
- Value Chain Analysis
- Market Dynamics
- Driver 1- Increase in Infrastructural Activities
- Driver 2 - Growing Electronics & Electrical Industry
- Restraint 1 – Competition from Substitute Materials
- Opportunity 1 – Demand for Copper in Green Buildings
- Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
- Market Attractiveness Analysis, by Country – Copper Market
- Market Attractiveness Analysis, by Application – Copper Market
- Company Market Share – Copper Market (%) (2014)
Chapter 4 Copper – Regional Price Trend Analysis
Chapter 5 Copper Market: Form Analysis
- Copper Market – Wire Rod
- Copper Market – Plates, Sheets, & Strips
- Copper Market –Rods, Bars, & Sections
- Copper Market – Others
Chapter 6 Copper Market: Application Analysis
- Global Copper Market for Construction
- Global Copper Market for Electrical & Electronic Products
- Global Copper Market for Transportation
- Global Copper Market for Industrial Applications
- Global Copper Market for Other Applications
Chapter 7 Copper Market: Regional Analysis
- North America Copper Market Overview
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- North America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Europe Copper Market Overview
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Europe Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Overview
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Asia Pacific Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Latin America Copper Market Overview
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Latin America Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Overview
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Form, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (Kilo Tons)
- Middle East and Africa Copper Market Volume, by Application, 2014 – 2023 (US$ Mn)
Chapter 8 Company Profiles
- Freeport McMorRan Inc.
- BHP Billiton Group
- Glencore International AG
- Rio Tinto Group
- Anglo American plc
- Aurubis AG
- Grupo Mexico
- KGHM Polska Mied?
- Antofagasta plc
- Jiangxi Copper Corp
- Tongling Nonferrous Metals Group
- JX Nippon Mining & Metals
Chapter 9 List of Customers – Copper Market
Chapter 10 Primary Research – Key Findings
Copper is a ductile metal with high electrical and thermal conductivity. It is a versatile metal with excellent chemical, physical, and aesthetic properties. Copper can be recovered from open pit mines or through the in-situ leach process. It is primarily employed in electrical wires, roofing, plumbing, and industrial machinery.
This report provides detailed description of the copper market in terms of volume and revenue from 2014 to 2023 on the global, regional, and country level. The global and regional volume has been depicted in terms of million tons, while the revenue in US$ Bn. The country level volume is in terms of kilo tons and revenue is in US$ Mn. The study provides historic data for 2014 coupled with forecast from 2015 to 2023 based on volume (kilo tons) and revenue (US$ Mn). The study includes drivers and restraints of the copper market along with impact of these on demand during the forecast period. The report also covers the study of opportunities available in the market on the global and regional level. The study encompasses market attractiveness analysis, wherein various application segments and countries in the mentioned regions are benchmarked based on market size, growth rate, and general attractiveness. Detailed value chain analysis has been included to provide a comprehensive view of the copper market. Analysis of Porter’s Five Forces Model for copper has also been included to help understand the competitive landscape in the market.
The study provides a decisive view of the copper market by segmenting it based on the basis of forms of copper, viz., wire rod; plates, sheets and strips; rods, bars & sections; and others. Additionally, the market has been segmented in terms of application into construction; electrical & electronic products; transportation; industrial; and others. Forms and applications have been analyzed based on present and future trends, and the market has been estimated from 2015 to 2023. Regional segmentation includes current and forecast demand for copper in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The report provides detailed competitive outlook, which includes the market share and profiles of key players operating in the copper market.
Market estimates for this study have been based on volume, with revenue being derived through regional pricing trends. The copper market has been analyzed based on expected demand. Market data for each segment is based on demand volume and corresponding revenue. Prices considered for calculation of revenue are average regional prices obtained through primary quotes from numerous regional suppliers, distributors, and direct selling regional producers based on manufacturer feedback and application and form requirement.
In order to compile the research report, we conducted in-depth interviews and discussions with a wide range of key industry participants and opinion leaders. Primary research represents the bulk of research efforts supplemented by extensive secondary research. We reviewed key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents for competitive analysis and market understanding. Secondary research includes a search of recent trade, technical writing, Internet sources, and statistical data from government websites, trade associations, and agencies. This has proven to be the most reliable, effective, and successful approach for obtaining precise market data, capturing industry participants’ insights, and recognizing business opportunities.
The report also offers competitive landscape of the overall market with profiles of players such as Codelco, Freeport McMoran Inc., Glencore, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, KGHM Polska Miedz, Anglo America, and Antofagasta. Detailed description of company overview in terms of headquarters, inception, upcoming capacities, key mergers & acquisitions, financial overview, and recent developments provides a thorough idea about the competitive positioning of players in the market.
The report segments the copper market as follows:
Global Copper Market - Form Analysis
- Wire rod
- Plates, sheets, & strips
- Rods, bars, & sections
- Others (Including powder, tube etc.)
Global Copper Market - Application Analysis
- Electrical & electronic products
- Others (Including consumer products etc.)
Global Copper Market - Country Analysis
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
- South Africa
- Rest of MEA