Fuel cell converts chemical energy into electrical energy by a chemical reaction with oxidizing agent. There are many types of fuel cells consisting of anode, cathode and electrolyte which help the charges to move between two sides of the fuel cells. Alkaline Fuel Cell or AFC uses alkaline electrolyte and is also known as Bacon fuel cell. It is one of the most developed and cheapest fuel cell technologies.
The Alkaline Fuel Cells are used since 1980s they have high power density and have long lifetime in certain applications which increase its usage in different areas. Some of the major factors responsible for the growth of fuel cell market are its better efficiency than PEM fuel cell in moderate conditions, quick start at sub-zero temperature, high conductivity compared to other fuel cells and low cost of electrodes. The growth of AFC market slowed down after the arrival of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane (PEM) fuel cell due to its lower power density. It is easily poisoned by carbon dioxide which affects cell’s operation. This requires purification of hydrogen and oxygen used in the cell making it a costly process. The alkaline Fuel Cell market has potential to succeed in certain market due to better efficiency in niche applications. More R&D activities in this technology will help to refine its application and usage and will turn into successful market offerings.
Alkaline Fuel Cell is mainly used in three types of markets. As backup power for communication towers in stationary market, as auxiliary power for worksites, boats in portable market and as electric vehicles, golf cars, fork lift vehicles in transportation market. The AFC was used in Apollo series to provide electricity on-board of the shuttle. This fuel cell consumes hydrogen and pure oxygen and produces hot water as waste product which can also be used for drinking by astronauts.
Some of the key players in the AFC market are Fuel Cell Energy, Bloom Energy, Toshiba, AFC Energy Plc and Ballard Power Systems Inc.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments