Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is the most widely found plasma protein in human fetus. The AFP protein found in humans is encoded by the AFP gene that is located on chromosome 4. It is a major plasma protein which is produced during fetal development in yolk sac and the liver. AFP is a glycoprotein which is found in monomeric, dimeric and trimeric forms. The protein is normally made by immature liver cells in the fetus therefore; infants have higher levels of AFP, which falls to normal adult level by the end of first year. Usually, low level of AFP protein is found in pregnant women’s and in the blood of healthy adults. However, biochemical tests are performed to check the level of AFP protein in pregnant women’s blood. The high or low level of AFP helps doctor to estimate the chances of birth defect or other problems. These AFP based screening test helps to determine certain chromosomal aberrations such as Down’s syndrome or Edwards’s syndrome, neural tube defects and certain types of cancer.
AFP screening tests are being used widely and many of them are commercially available due to their sensitivity in cancer diagnosis. Usually, level of AFP in human blood is below 10ng/ml but it elevates up to 500ng/ml in patients suffering from chronic hepatitis. In addition, high level of AFP is also witnessed in patients suffering lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, brain tumors and renal cancer. Cancer diagnostic segment is growing exponentially as the researchers are discovering new techniques and specific antigens to further enhance the treatment mode. Therefore, AFP testing market is expected to grow with rise in cancer incidences. Similarly, growth in AFP testing market is also poised to grow with rise in geriatric population, which is more susceptible to diseases and tumor development.
Some of the market players in this industry are Abbott Laboratories, Biomedical Diagnostics, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Beckman Coulter, Kreatech Diagnostics, Roche Diagnostics and other significant players.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments