Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is developed after an individual goes through a traumatic event such as serious injury, road accident, or sexual assault. The disorder is common in military soldiers who have very high chances of traumatic events due to stress of combat. Other contributing factors include history of drug abuse, mental illness, depression, and high stress in daily life. The symptoms of PTSD are grouped in three main categories as below:
- Symptoms for intrusive memories- flashback of traumatic event and upsetting dreams about the event
- Symptoms of avoidance- Avoidance of discussions about traumatic events, trouble in concentrating, depression
- Symptoms of emotional arousal- irritability, anger, guilt, self-distractive behavior, hyper vigilance
Being a psychological disorder, psychotherapy and counseling are the first line of treatments. Drugs prescribed along with the treatment include Zoloft (sertraline HCl) by Pfizer, Paxil (paroxetine) by GlaxoSmithKline, Elavil (amitriptyline) by AstraZeneca. Other off-label drugs include Risperdal(risperidone), Zyprexa (olanzapine), and Seroquel (quetiapine).
Rising incidences of personal violence and road accidents in developing countries is one of the driving forces for the market, but due to lower awareness and underdeveloped medical sector, the market growth is lower. According to an article published in The Washington Post in 2013, under developed countries accounted for 50% of the global road traffic accidents.
These incidences will lead to development of PTSD among patients. Market opportunities also lie in the rehabilitation of injured military personnel where majority of the traumatic patients complain symptoms for intrusive memories and emotional arousal. According to an article published in Australia and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 2010, around 17% of Iraq war veterans suffered with PTSD. Similar statistics suggest a large number of was veterans suffer from PTSD, but do not receive medical treatment.
In spite of these drivers, the market growth has suffered from the serious side effects of drugs leading to several lawsuits and bad publicity. Serious side effects for Zoloft and Paxil in pregnant women were miscarriage, septal heart defects, cranial defect, delayed development and Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension (PPHN). An article published in The New York Times in 2012, GSK agreed to pay fine of USD 3 million for promoting its antidepressants which include Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Avandia.
This research report analyzes this market depending on its market segments, major geographies, and current market trends. Geographies analyzed under this research report include
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of the World
This report provides comprehensive analysis of
- Market growth drivers
- Factors limiting market growth
- Current market trends
- Market structure
- Market projections for upcoming years
This report is a complete study of current trends in the market, industry growth drivers, and restraints. It provides market projections for the coming years. It includes analysis of recent developments in technology, Porter’s five force model analysis and detailed profiles of top industry players. The report also includes a review of micro and macro factors essential for the existing market players and new entrants along with detailed value chain analysis.
Reasons for Buying this Report
- This report provides pin-point analysis for changing competitive dynamics
- It provides a forward looking perspective on different factors driving or restraining market growth
- It provides a technological growth map over time to understand the industry growth rate
- It provides a seven-year forecast assessed on the basis of how the market is predicted to grow
- It helps in understanding the key product segments and their future
- It provides pin point analysis of changing competition dynamics and keeps you ahead of competitors
- It helps in making informed business decisions by having complete insights of market and by making in-depth analysis of market segments
- It provides distinctive graphics and exemplified SWOT analysis of major market segments